How Do You Live? [Miyazaki]

“klimov” wrote: Now if「君たちはどう生きるか」was opening here on Friday I'd be first in line... Easily my most anticipated film of the past five years... But I'm guessing they'll take at least a year to come up with an English dub, by which time I'll have imported the blu-ray.

:clap:
IMG_0145.jpeg
Moved from a post in the Indy thread here to keep it on track - TC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: How Do You Live? [Miyazaki]

I am very much looking forward to this film, have been for many years. But i’m apprehensive about it. The last film I saw of his was HMC, haven’t seen Ponyo or The Wind Rises, as I didn’t hear great things about them. Given that this film has taken 10 years to make, I’m quite sure this is his last film, so I hope it’s as good as it should be. Quite a legacy he’s leaving behind. Problem is, the Ghibli films not done by him are not remotely close to being as good. I hope that changes and they continue in the proper manner forever.

For anyone not aware of this film, check out the wiki. Ghibli decided to do zero promotion for it, beyond the image attached above. We know it’s based on a 90-year old book, but not really - just the title, story is different. That’s it.

Ponyo is a masterpiece, as are some of the Takahata films and also Whisper of the Heart. The Wind Rises contains some of the best animation ever created, and is a very good film, but it is aimed at adults and doesn't 100% land in my opinion, so yes hoping this will be an even greater conclusion. When Godard died, Miyazaki claimed the mantle of Greatest Living Director IMHO.

This is very likely to be the final Ghibli film. The animation staff were let go earlier in the year, Suzuki has quit producing and returned to the role of CEO and they are shifting towards IP management, theme parks and so on.

GKIDS is honored to announce the acquisition of North American rights to THE BOY AND THE HERON, the new film from Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli.
Debuting in Japan as #君たちはどう生きるか (translated as How Do You Live), THE BOY AND THE HERON opens in North American theatres 2023.

Yup, coming here before the end of the year as well. They've put together an excellent English voice cast, perhaps aided a little by ongoing disagreements (SAG's foreign dubbing contract isn't struck). This for sure we will see in the theatre - and also Wish!