Re: Glass Onion

rewatched the original KO last weekend to prep for watching this, which we did last night. it was OK. i didn't like it nearly as much as the original, can't really pinpoint why. it's just not nearly as clever. also, the first body doesn't appear on the island until over an hour into this, which doesn't help things. and what happened to Blanc's outrageous accent from when we first met him? it's all over the place in this film, from nearly completely missing to only kinda there. maybe it's tamed from his living overseas, with hugh grant for some reason. it was enjoyable, just not nearly as good as i had hoped it would be. original is far better, and if you didn't like that, i'd say you certainly won't like this.

Watched this again last night (my visiting bro hadn’t seen it) - still feel the same way. It was more enjoyable the second time, as I started picking up on the fact that the opening 20 min or so plays more like a Pink Panther movie than what it is, and once I saw that I was rolling with it. But that tone doesn’t stick, and again, it just isn’t nearly as clever as the first. It’s still an enjoyable murder mystery. You know, the original Agatha Christie films were all wildly different tones too, so maybe this series can truly be a throwback. Something for everyone. After the first 20 min or so, which involved a ton of humor, there are only sparse humorous bits the rest of the way. Too bad, as that first part is very funny and the rest of the film could have used that.

Shite, just like the original, although the idea that their lame little grudge has more value than the Mona Lisa and that we're supposed to applaud at the end encapsulates the poisonous nature of modern culture quite nicely.