Re: Marvel/Disney+ series

For some reason this trailer reminds me a lot of the failed Wonder Woman tv pilot with Adrianne Palicki where they tried to make her a celebrity super hero. It just gives me those vibes. I confess my memory of the comic book version is kind of clouded as I really only ever read anything she was in when she was a member of the Avengers and later Fantastic Four. And that was 40 years ago.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I'm a little worried. I want to see a series of Samuel L. Jackson being a total badass like we know he can. This looks more like Book of Boba Fett turning the character into a weak, doddering old fool type of shit. I hope I'm wrong.

finished it. the show was not good. there were good beats, and Sonya is a fantastic character (but wildly underused here), but the writing here was very poor. the actors seemed to try to do their best with what they were given, but the scripts were rough. the whole show just felt obligatory, like they felt like it had to be done to set up something or several somethings else that i won't care about. and yes, it did do the Book Of Boba Fett thing where it completely undermines the coolness established for the character. just tedious plodding in marvel form. i honestly don't know how they fucked this up so badly. oof.

I did watch all of it. How the writers fucked this up so badly is beyond me. You have SLJ there and could have made a whole series of Fury being badass. Instead he kind of plods around like a senile old fool, then sort of gets his shit together in the last episode. Disney+ needs to learn how to write TV properly. Get back Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen to run and write their series. Speaking of which, Agents of Shield has already more or less done the storyline they used in Secret Invasion, and did it a lot better. As much as it's trendy to hate Ike Pealmutter, you can't deny that most of the Marvel series under his reign (Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, and the Netflix series) were better than the stuff Disney+ is giving us.

all i kept thinking while watching it was, "oh cool, i've missed legends of tomorrow." not that they invented the "throw main characters into time travel hijinx" trope or anything, but that's most recently on my radar.

Haven't watched the trailer yet, but I really, really enjoyed the first season of Loki. I haven't watched many shows recently where I was that excited to watch the next episode at the end of each one. That might not be saying much since I only watch like an hour of TV a week, but Loki was a lot of fun.

TC wrote: 24/08/22, 07:55:19 I Am Groot - a brief series, five episodes of around five minutes each. it was fucking great. reminded me of the old loony tunes shorts, but groot. really funny and creative. i could watch it forever.
second season of this was way less great. it was kind of cute but the writing wasn't nearly as fun.

TC wrote: 31/07/23, 16:03:04 all i kept thinking while watching it was, "oh cool, i've missed legends of tomorrow." not that they invented the "throw main characters into time travel hijinx" trope or anything, but that's most recently on my radar.
wrapped s2 in the last couple days, and i was right - first 3 episodes felt very much like a Legends Of Tomorrow arc. took a break after ep 3 as it felt like the writers were completely lost here, just felt very tired and reaching. came back to the final three episodes and they were way better than the first three. felt like it was back to the main threads. doesn't mean it was great. it was fine, but still ultimately elicited a yawn. they did a few clever things that were somewhat different than other time travel conundrums, and handled them arguably better than most, but at the end of the show, i'm not really sure exactly what was accomplished or what exactly Loki did. discussing it in the room, we. just ultimately settled on some sort of macguffin, like "he did god stuff", as it all really felt unexplainable and kind of silly.

i acknowledge that it's quite possible i'm just beyond over this shit and burnt on superheroes in general. if so, i know i wouldn't be alone. but that being said, loki was always my primary reason to read Thor books back in the day, and i love the character. tom hiddleston and his way-too-close-together eyes feels like a great actor, but can't recall seeing him in anything other than the role of Loki, so maybe i just love the character. i find owen wilson amusing, same with the guy from Tacoma FD, and this was definitely the best role for Short Round/Data in his adulthood, but none of those things overcome whatever is happening with the writing/plot. emphasis on plot, as i feel like the writing was probably as good as it could be, given the kind of incomprehensible plot points they had to hit. and maybe worse for Marvel, i'm left not feeling like this set up anything, so really - what was the point of this show?

i don't know, big shrugs from me here.

The loom couldn't accommodate so many new timelines and as a fail-safe to protect the sacred timeline would self destruct, destroying all the other timelines and the TVA. Loki destroys the loom and pulls the branches together, saving the other timelines. He essentially becomes to the new loom in order to save all the timelines. It's the end of his character arc from villain to saving the entire multiverse at the sacrifice of his own freedom. I agree with all your other assessments of the show. But the ending is the one thing they actually did right. It almost makes me forget how boring some of the rest of the season was.

The not setting up things is an interesting statement. We used to go watch a single movie just to see a good story. Marvel has trained audiences now that if a film doesn't built to a completely different film it's a failure. I'm not sure that's a good thing. That's part of the problem DC is having right now. Everyone knows the DC universe is going to be rebooted so they just don't care anymore about the current films. Whereas I just want to see a good story. Of course DC has been failing in that aspect too, pretty much from the start of the Snyderverse. But if you tell a good story, I couldn't give two fucks if it leads to something bigger five films from now or not.

Yeah absolutely, I’m only saying that in the context of their world that they built. I’m pretty much over feeling like, “Well, that sucked, but I guess I’d better stick around for the post-credits scene to see what they’re setting up.” It’s also a safety net for them internally (I assume) - “Yeah boss, that was a shit movie - that’s why we didn’t really promote it, but it doesn’t matter what it’s like on its own - we needed it to set up the next seventeen films.”

As far as the ending, sure, I understand that part. But… how, exactly? Why is his body built to…process timelines and branches, I guess? Is all of time now dealing with some kind of Loki DNA influence? That’s what I’m saying. There wasn’t really any lead in to him being able to do that, or why some Norse god would be able to do so. “Master of time” isn’t really in Loki’s list of traits. Shrug, not really a huge deal to me, but such a triumphant/sacrificial ending that doesn’t really explain itself, or solve the problem of HWR, seemed like a cop out.

Loki was set up to be able to control the timelines when he learned to control his time slipping. Once he learned that he also became the ideal person to control the threads of the timelines.

I think at this point Marvel is starting to accept they can't fall back on the this is shit but it sets up the next one crutch, because all they've been putting out is shit and audiences are finally catching on. Plus they haven't been really building towards anything. Yeah, Kang is the new big bad, but to what end? We knew Thanos was trying to assemble the infinity stones. What does Kang want? Not to mention Kang keeps getting defeated easily, unlike Thanos who we rarely saw until the end of that arc.