Westworld

not sure why there's not already a thread on this show. it's got a great cast, it's scifi, should be right in our wheelhouse.

anyway, finally got caught up last night. after nearly every episode, but especially the last three, i find myself saying "holy fuck, i have no idea where they're going with this show". i really don't. just, crazy shit happens, the end. really looking forward to the next episode, but i enjoy watching this at least two at once.

point is, it's really good and if you are at all curious about it, you should watch it.

Re: Westworld

I am behind by one episode but yes, I love it too.
Don't know if the internet theory that McPoil from It's Always Sunny is a flashback of Ed Harris discovering the park but I kind of hope it is because that's a nasty arc rolled out well.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Maybe. Although this seems like overreaching.

Like Person of Interest before it, WW has a couple of nice ideas, decent actors, weak characterisation, all ultimately pretty shallow but a good time. Bigger budget, more sex and blood and no need to adhere to a weekly formula helps it along.

Nb. Does anyone really buy Ed Harris as the bad guy? It's a game, these are robots... Reveals some psychological issues perhaps, but what makes him any different from a gamer going on a 'rampage' in Grand Theft Auto?

Oh also, how do they prevent guests from accidentally killing each other given that knives are allowed to be used as weapons in the park?

There are a lot of things you have to glance over with this show. From a pure business standpoint if it were real it's a giant lawsuit waiting to happen.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:There are a lot of things you have to glance over with this show. From a pure business standpoint if it were real it's a giant lawsuit waiting to happen.
i just assume they haven't shown us the six hours of signing indemnity paperwork that happens immediately after they hand over the $40,000/day. actually, it sure seems like people stay as long as they want. i guess that means they pay afterwards? so if you go in and decide to live there, you never owe them anything. sweet!

this show just gets better. crazy episode last night. really feels like it's building toward an ending next week. i assume they didn't think they'd get renewed. now i wonder how the hell you come back from all this for S2?

Funny how the show is lagging at least two episodes behind the most prominent fan theories, all of which now prove to be true. Takes the excitement out of it a bit, although I imagine on a binge watch it'd work better.

klimov wrote:Funny how the show is lagging at least two episodes behind the most prominent fan theories, all of which now prove to be true. Takes the excitement out of it a bit, although I imagine on a binge watch it'd work better.
it's absolutely made for binging.

DH wrote:Warners Chief Has Big Plans For “Westworld”

Warner Bros. Entertainment CEO Kevin Tsujihara is happy with HBO’s new series “Westworld,” so happy that he’s determined to turn it into the cable network’s next big “Game of Thrones”-level success.

Speaking at the Credit Suisse Technology, Media & Telecom Conference in Phoenix on Tuesday, Tsujihara says:

“I am really, really excited about the opportunity that we potentially have with ‘Westworld’. If you look at the viewer data on ‘Westworld,’ its first year viewing on all platforms is greater than ‘Game of Thrones.’ I am not saying it’s ‘Game of Thrones.’ I am not saying it’s going to be ‘Game of Thrones. But if gives you a context of where it sits this first year that just finished this week”

“Westworld” drew three million or more viewers across multiple platforms in its maiden season and Tsujihara believes television and episodic programming is one of the biggest areas for his studio to score revenue and profit in the near future.
make a good, smart show and people will come. unless you're hannibal. or twin peaks. or rubicon. or...

About a year before pulling the plug, NBC's president insisted that if Hannibal had gotten the same ratings on a cable network, it'd have been written up as a smash success.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

TC wrote:make a good, smart show and people will come. unless you're hannibal. or twin peaks. or rubicon. or...
In addition to the numbers difference between network and cable, there's also a fundamental difference in how they run shows that makes cable better for serial dramas. Less episodes a season helps. Also the fact that cable channels don't adhere to the sweeps based ratings system, thus they'll run an entire season in one block, or split up maybe into two with a break halfway through. It makes it easier to follow a story if it's fairly consistently on every week. Network shows are subject to sports preemptions and they have a habit of only scheduling new episodes during sweeps months.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I do.

I mean... Haven't you forgotten it already? I have. Currently binge-watching Eastbound & Down. Although that just jumped the shark with the cannon ball scene in the 3rd season.