The Flash [2018 film]

TheWrap wrote:‘The Flash’ Film to Be Directed by Seth Grahame-Smith

Warner Bros. is planning to release the superhero adventure on March 3, 2018.

Seth Grahame-Smith will direct Warner Bros.’ “The Flash,” an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

The film will be based on the DC Comics superhero, and has a release date of March 3, 2018. “The Flash” also already has his superhero cast — In July, it was announced that Ezra Miller would tackle the role of Flash a.k.a. Barry Allen.

His character will be introduced in Zack Snyder‘s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” which has a release date of March 26.

Charles Roven is producing the film, while Deborah and Zack Snyder are executive producing.

Currently, the superhero is speeding his way through TV on The CW’s series of the same name.

Grahame-Smith had previously written and executive produced the film, “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” in 2012, based on his book series of the same name. He also wrote the “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” mashup series.

Re: The Flash [2018 film]

DH wrote:"Flash" Film Costume To Be Tech-Based

We live in a world with two live-action on-screen versions of The Flash at the moment, the first being The CW's well-received and well-rated "The Flash" TV series with Grant Gustin in the role.

The second has yet to make his appearance - actor Ezra Miller who will play the part in the big screen adaptation that will be incorporated into the DC cinematic universe. Last month Miller revealed that he's seen the costume design he'll sport in the films and described it as "post apocalyptic".

Today, Den of Geek have talked with a source who has seen the costume and confirms this, saying the new suit will be "tech-based" and is being deliberately designed in a way to avoid "any comparison to the well designed and received TV version."

Their source goes on to say the design seems to have taken inspiration directly from the video game "Injustice: Gods Among Us" and so the outfit looks "more like armor".

Seth Grahame-Smith will write and direct "The Flash" film which opens in 2018.
i really don't get it. why license a TV show to be made if you intend on completely ignoring it and making a film regardless? i guess they expected it to fail and just wanted to start getting some "Flash" hype out there? i mean, Smallville worked because they had no intention of making a Supes movie at the time. madness.

TC wrote:i really don't get it. why license a TV show to be made if you intend on completely ignoring it and making a film regardless? i guess they expected it to fail and just wanted to start getting some "Flash" hype out there? i mean, Smallville worked because they had no intention of making a Supes movie at the time. madness.
Because there's money to be made. I don't have a huge problem with it, after all Smallville ran long enough that it existed at the same time as Superman Returns. And the opposite thinking on the part of Warner is why we lost a lot of characters on Justice League in the final seasons (Batman because of the movies, Aquaman because of the TV pilot and so on). I'd rather they both exist than lose the TV show because of the film (Film always trumps TV). Besides, if Wonder Woman tanks, I doubt the flash film will happen.
As for the tech suit, I hope that doesn't mean they're going to say the Flash himself has no powers and the suit makes him fast. Did we not learn from Catwoman to not fuck around with a character's total back story like that.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

One director down...
Hollywood Reporter wrote:The 'Flash' Movie Loses Its Director
APRIL 29, 2016 3:43pm PT by Borys Kit

Seth Grahame-Smith was attached to direct the superhero film starring Ezra Miller, but is leaving over "creative differences."
The Flash movie has lost its director.

Seth Grahame-Smith is leaving the Warner Bros. project due to “creative differences,” THR has learned.

Grahame-Smith, the author and screenwriter of such works as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, was to have made his directorial debut on the project based on the iconic DC Entertainment scarlet-speedster superhero.

The project will retain Grahame-Smith’s script, which he wrote working off of a treatment by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Lego Movie duo who once were eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.

The Flash already has a release date — March 16, 2018 — and a star, Ezra Miller, who's portraying the classic hero known as "the fastest man alive." There is plenty of time for the studio to find a director.

Miller’s Flash, aka Barry Allen, was introduced in a cameo appearance in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, and is now shooting The Justice League Part One, which will be released in the fall of 2017.

Grahame-Smith still remains involved in other Warners projects. He is a writer on the studio’s Lego Batman Movie and is working on Beetlejuice 2.

TC wrote:which i haven't seen either of his mentioned films, i don't feel like we're losing a great resume here.
A valid point. He hasn't directed anything so who knows if we're losing anything good. Though given what we've gotten so far from the DCU I'm still waiting for something good in the first place.

darkness wrote:
TC wrote:which i haven't seen either of his mentioned films, i don't feel like we're losing a great resume here.
A valid point. He hasn't directed anything so who knows if we're losing anything good. Though given what we've gotten so far from the DCU I'm still waiting for something good in the first place.
right.

watched The Flash over the weekend, as it finally hit streaming. frankly, it wasn't nearly as bad as i expected it to be. but it wasn't exactly as advertised - it was essentially just a back door way to do another batman film with michael keaton. when i heard about his appearance, i assumed it was some cutesy cameo nod - no, it's full-on a michael keaton film. he's in what has to be 80 or more percent of the film. that's not necessarily a bad thing - i enjoyed it - but making him say the couple lines again that have been quoted for decades felt pretty shoe-horned. the other cameo in the final scene was kind of more fun, but i guess sadly isn't going to go anywhere as DC imploded everything in motion and forklifted the reins to Gunn. i don't mean "sadly" in that Gunn is now running things - that's a very good thing, probably - but sad that the cameo/setup was kind of wasted.

but i'll tell you one massive thing that doesn't work - the CGI. like, it's bad. i'm sure you've heard it's bad, but i don't think you understand how bad it is until you see it - all the "multiverse" things look like a slightly more fleshed out Sims game. that's the quality/finish of CGI we're talking about. not joking, it's real bad. which kind of ruins all the other cameos here, which is too bad as there were some nice nods/in-jokes/etc. that happened, but they're all overridden from a sensory input standpoint by the shock you feel at how aggressively bad the CGI is to the point that that's all you can think about.

also, ezra miller is inherently unlikeable. i don't just mean his off-screen antics, i mean him on screen is so goddamn punchable. especially in contrast to the Flash/Iris we had on TV, which may swing a little too much to the other end of the "aw shucks" spectrum, but i'd rather have that then the general piece of shit, strung-out looking and acting Flash in this film. i just can't stand him so much, and in this film, we get two of him. just brutal.

a high point was supergirl. this kara was leaps and bounds more believable than the TV version. her story arc is such that this is how i always felt supergirl should be - fucking pissed off but finding herself reluctantly sympathetic to (some) humans. she ruled in this film, it was a great portrayal. again, likely ultimately for nothing long-term, but IMHO this was far and away the best supergirl i've seen.

so yeah, it was ultimately kind of "meh". somehow still more enjoyable than the aquaman films, ezra notwithstanding.

I finally watched this over the holidays. I pretty much agree with everything TC said. Thought I didn't find Ezra Miller prime that annoying. The alt one was through, which I guess was the point. It was nice seeing Keaton again, but he's definitely showing his age. For that matter Affleck was too. Despite being 20 years younger than Keaton he somehow seemed even more old and slow. I kept thinking a five year old could probably beat up either of these Batmen. I guess that's part of the point of rebooting things, to get younger actors in who you can believe are actually capable of superhero antics. I agree that Supergirl was the best character in the film. I wish there'd been more focus on her character. I'd love to see a film just focused on her, but that'll never happen now.
Oh god, the effects. I knew at the start with the horrible looking babies that we were going to be in for a long slog. For as long as this film was in production it's sad they couldn't do better. I guess that's what happens when you keep reshooting things over and over. The cgi in the multiverse cameos was just embarrassing.
I guess I didn't hate the film, and agreed, it was better than I expected. This is probably where they should have ended the DCEU and put it out of its misery.