Re: Hannibal: The Series

So, DAMN. I think some expectations as to the outcome of this season were definitely undercut, which of course is the game they're playing so brilliantly. Allow me to sing the meta praises of something they did, in spoiler tags for those who haven't seen it yet:
I don't know why Gillian Anderson's casting didn't send up flags since Scully from X-Files was totally cribbed from Starling in Demme's seminal adaptation, Chris Carter even said as much. To show him flying off with her isn't just a twist that makes me want to revisit each and every one of her scenes, it shouts out nicely to what eventually happens with Lecter and Starling in the Harris books...dang. These guys have a long game that is such a delight to watch, and a mastery of the source material and references that is outstanding.
And again I say, klimov should check this out, even with some aversion to horror (pretty sure you're the first guy I ever saw mention 2,000 Maniacs and Cannibal Holocaust, not to mention Dawn Of The Dead love, so I may call a tad of bullshit on enjoying the good stuff). Stylistically it is leagues above most anything you'll see on major US network television when it comes to imagery and music (the 'modern composer' angle they have on the music is unlike anything on any show I've ever seen/heard), writing is whip-crack smart, performances are excellent...a film snob who doesn't give this show a chance is shooting himself in the foot, and worse, not bothering to fry up the ligaments in some obscure French recipe.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

not reading as i'm still way behind, but i have to recommend that everyone follow the twitter account Hannibal at the Zool (@ZooHannibal). it's fucking hilarious. don't know who it is, but doesn't matter. we get gems like:
The monkey touches himself not to feel pleasure, but to demonstrate to the zookeeper that he cannot be controlled
seriously. check it out: https://twitter.com/ZooHannibal

Don't know him but pretty excited to see they're opening up that can of worms. So when the fuck does it come back?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I count on shows like this and Justified to carry me through the January/February doldrums, but if Hannibal gets to carry me through the summer I'm OK with that.

I think people are expecting it back late spring/early summer.

Plus, you've got Better Call Saul starting next month (along with Walking Dead's return), and Mad Men and GoT are back in April.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

That's cool, summer's usually pretty light on good stuff. As much as I love Mad Men, it's time for that show to hang it up, probably a bit past time.

Alexhead wrote: As much as I love Mad Men, it's time for that show to hang it up, probably a bit past time.
Only 7 eps to go. Then our long national nightmare will be at an end.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.