Re: David Lynch Blu-Ray tracker

How the fuck would you know what the scenes would or wouldn't add? Always trolling.

I thought from what Neff and others had said, Lynch wasn't too keen on releasing the footage without polishing it up, and that that would cost money that nobody wanted to throw at it. Hope he's either had a change of heart or has found the money.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Keep in mind that time Lynch said it was too expensive was over 10 years ago and the costs of such things have come down a bit. If MGM/Universal can afford to spring for fixing up the deleted scenes of Blue Velvet I imagine the costs of the FWWM scenes is probably not prohibitive these days either.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

They wouldn't be included in the film, they'd be separate as disc extras. As for him taking them out, the main reason was because he was contractually obligated to deliver a film under 2 hours 15 minutes. I suppose you could argue these are lessor scenes than those that made it in the film and thus inferior. But there's also the chance they're equally as good and he just plain had to cut something and these happened to be what went. We know he didn't pick all the scenes shot for the restoration after all, so it's not like they're throwing everything left on the cutting room floor at us. These are the scenes of what was shot that Lynch wants us to see.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Klim// In all the years of chasing the deleted FWWM scenes, it's never been about watching a "supercut" or whatever of the film. I just want to see the scenes, see what was shot and never shown. See more Twin Peaks, really. No one has ever said the scenes would enhance the film and no one has ever said they want the re-inserted into the final cut.

i said that. i would love for one of my favorite films to suddenly be an hour longer after 20 years. give me theatrical as a bonus or whatever, set up multi-branching, i don't care - i'd love to see it how lynch originally envisioned it.

If Lynch was in any way unhappy with the theatrical version he would've been much more proactive at getting the deleted scenes finished and incorporated back into the film. In fact it has been opposite, Lynch's demand that he be paid a large fee to mix the audio in his own studio being the stumbling block that has prevented the scenes being released thus far.

Quite the opposite, TC. If Lynch felt that the theatrical version didn't fully represent his vision, he's had twenty years to do something about it at very little cost to himself. Compare this to Inland Empire, for which he rejected offers of US distribution from a number of major players, all of which would have required him to reduce the length of the film, and instead paid out very large sums of money to buy back the film from Studio Canal and then release it himself. When he feels that the integrity of his vision is at stake, Lynch has demonstrated that money is no object. Clearly not the case here.

I tend to believe John Neff's take, as he's certainly the only one anyone knows who actually worked on the fucking movie. And it's pretty easy to understand why it isn't a fiscal priority to Lynch; he'd probably like them to be out, but it's not a top priority and if they are going to come out he wants them done right. If they're going to be done right it'll take some cash, and it's not something he feels strongly enough about releasing to use his own money. The IE experience may have soured him on investing much of his retirement account on low to no profit endeavors. Like Marcus said, I don't care what they would or wouldn't do to FWWM, I'd just get a big kick out of seeing a few more scenes from Twin Peaks.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Although Lynch produced and owned the underlying rights to Inland Empire, he pre-sold the rights in all territories to French sales agent Studio Canal, meaning that when the film came out they controlled the rights for a 10-15 year period. After the premiere in Venice, the only major distribution offers Studio Canal received from the US (Universal amongst others) demanded cuts to the length of the film. Lynch was unhappy with this, but Studio Canal were equally unhappy with the idea of not selling the film in the world's largest territory and losing money. The solution: Lynch purchased the US rights back from Studio Canal. Having done so, he then had to arrange his own distribution networks to distribute the film. None of which was planned and the cost of which would have ultimately run into the millions for Lynch and Aysymmetrical. The point being that Lynch was happier spending millions of dollars than seeing the film cut in anyway, which frankly puts the lie to John Neff's bullshit line that as a 'professional' Lynch would never invest or use his own resources on a production. Fact is, Lynch just doesn't care enough about the FWWM deleted scenes to invest his own time or resources in this particular case, nor does he want to see the scenes reincorporated into the film. Which returns us to my original sentiment, that after all this time and fuss the scenes are unlikely to change the world (or anyone's perception of FWWM).

i don't see how we can say what lynch is or isn't doing wrt these scenes until we hear the full story.

as i said, i'd much prefer seeing it how he originally cut it, regardless of the overall impact to the film. the only film i can remember seeing where a "director's cut" was worse than the original was donnie darko, which i discussed in that thread here: viewtopic.php?p=11470#p11470

Most films go through stages of editing in which the length gradually shortens as the cut of the film becomes tighter and more focused. Although it may have started out longer, the theatrical version of FWWM is a director's cut and at no point has Lynch indicated the desire or intention to release another version. That's the full story as far as I'm concerned.