Jurassic Park IV

interview w/Joe Johnston...
BO wrote:The internet is freaking out that there might be a Jurassic Park IV.

Wow, when did that happen?

November—you mentioned to Ain't It Cool that there might be a good script.

Did I tell him? Was it me?

You said that there was no way to get people back on the island for a fourth time and have it make sense, but that 2001 was the last installment and we're due.

Well, there is going to be a Jurassic Park IV. And it's going to be unlike anything you've seen. It breaks away from the first three—it's essentially the beginning of the second Jurassic Park trilogy. It's going to be done in a completely different way. That's pretty much all I can tell you.

A second trilogy?

If you think of the first three as a trilogy, number four would be the beginning of a second trilogy.

That's big. So not to lock you in, but there's a possibility there might be a total of six films?

Well, you never know. If they keep working—and if audiences keep going to them—there's no reason why there wouldn't be. We just want to make them justified in their own right. We don't want to make sequel after sequel just because there's a market for it. We want to tell different, interesting stories. You don't want to just sell hamburger.

Jurassic World

/film wrote:‘Jurassic World’ Adds Vincent D’Onofrio and Irrfan Khan

Director Colin Trevorrow has just added two actors to his highly anticipated film Jurassic World. Vincent D’Onofrio, best known for his work on Law and Order: Criminal Intent and in Full Metal Jacket, has been cast as the bad guy in the film. Also, Irrfan Khan (Life of Pi, Amazing Spider-Man and Slumdog Millionaire) has joined the cast. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard are stars in the sequel, which opens June 12, 2015.

Re: Jurassic Park IV

O-dot wrote:I wish for a movie solely peopled with raptors.
I want to see a film all about the cycads. Why do the dinosaurs get all the Jurassic love in these things?
Just cut them up like regular chickens

[youtube][/youtube]
raptors as hunting dogs? ok. i'm sure everything in this film will go well. what i'm really interested in is how they get to this point after the events that happened in the past. either way, will be seeing this in the largest format possible.

jurassic_world_ver3_xxlg.jpg
jurassic_world_ver4_xxlg.jpg
jurassic_world_ver5_xxlg.jpg
ok that last poster is just fucking stupid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

watched this yesterday. LOTS of laziness in this. there is zero character development. there are a lot of shortcuts made - we are presented with character types/tropes, basically "you know these types, apply what you know to these characters". character shorthand is mandatory to move the film along as quickly as possible to get to the dinosaurs. lots of ridiculous dino behavior too. then the main dino baddie has some amazing tricks up his sleeve and uses these abilities once? just lots of lazy holes. also, everything was essentially the same color. for being produced by spielberg, it's essentially the anti-spielberg film. still, at the end of the day, it's a summer dino movie. my 13 yo loved it. that's about all i can say.

what? there was a lot of time spent on sam neil, laura dern, & goldblum's characters. even the kids had solid characterization.

forgot to mention that, after 20 minutes of other previews, we got a 5 minute preview of ant man. made it look pretty damn good.

You must have gone the IMAX route to get the Ant Man bit, good on you. Looks very funny. Probably another surprisingly solid hit for Marvel.

We enjoyed Jurassic World, I am not beholden to the original as some masterpiece, thought it had a fair amount of flab around the middle, one fantastic sequence with the T-Rex, a couple decent sequences, and a tacked-on deus ex machina ending that made zero sense. This one is much thinner on character, absolutely, but it is much more filled with thrills, which is what I always found the first one fairly lacking in, so I'm all good with this as a popcorn flick. Looked great in IMAX 3D. And here,
we actually get a legitimate reason for the T-Rex to show up and fight, unlike in the first one
. That bit as well as many others are nice shout-outs to the original. Would have been nice if they'd worked Goldblum in, he was a quirky high point of the first one although not enough to carry the second one. My wife took my dino-obsessed four year old to a smaller screening of it, she loved it. She now runs around pretending to be the raptor known as Blue.

I'm on board with the whole "cast Chris Pratt as Indy" thing too; yeah, he won't be exactly the same, but they're going to make another, might as well be him.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

A couple more things I'll give it credit for--it's got a good meta sense of self, the commercialization in and around the park and the mockery of it (what's next, Doritosaurus?) are funny. And most refreshingly after the ad campaign,
the raptors are not well trained heeling dogs at all, they're still dangerous as fuck for the most part.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:A couple more things I'll give it credit for--it's got a good meta sense of self, the commercialization in and around the park and the mockery of it (what's next, Doritosaurus?) are funny. And most refreshingly after the ad campaign,
the raptors are not well trained heeling dogs at all, they're still dangerous as fuck for the most part.
yeah, and of course
the red flare signaled the TRex.

TC wrote:
Alexhead wrote:A couple more things I'll give it credit for--it's got a good meta sense of self, the commercialization in and around the park and the mockery of it (what's next, Doritosaurus?) are funny. And most refreshingly after the ad campaign,
yeah, and of course
the red flare signaled the TRex.
Yes--a call out to the original and an actual, reasonable explanation for how that would happen.

Just saw this with my girlfriend and... meh. Some nice meta comments and callbacks for sure, but it never had any sense of self. You never got invested in the kids like in the first one, for instance. The baddies were so ultra fucking bad from the get-go that you never really bought their storyline at all. Come to think of it, this one really wanted like five different plots to be combined into one, with the end result being a mess of a plot all in service of nice CGI. At least Spielberg managed to inject some life (heh) in the characters and plot in the first film.

Jurassic World Dominion - wow, what a colossal nothing burger. i couldn't even finish the last half hour. it's just so dumb and ridiculous, and not needed at all. nothing fun about it even. like, maybe it could be a fun, dumb film, but it doesn't even accomplish that. it's just seriously nothing. don't waste your time.