Re: Thor

[youtube][/youtube]

as burnt as i'm getting on comic book films, this reminds me of why i was kind of geeked out about them. i mean, thor on the big screen. as terrible as i'm sure this will be, i'm kind of geeked for it.

The only problem with having these huge world ending threats in the individual films is now you have to ask why the other Avengers aren't getting involved. Where was Captain America in dealing with The Mandarin? I see big ships attacking earth in this trailer, why isn't the Hulk there smashing them to pieces? I realize they think they have to make each one bigger and louder than the last, but a smaller more personal story that you believe one character would be dealing with alone works better.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

TC, still haven't seen the first, correct? This one is certainly looking more grounded from a production design standpoint but I'm still not sure what we're supposed to think of it from a story standpoint. They had a subdued Thor presence at SDCC this year and rumors are swirling that the director was essentially locked out of the editing room so after not being particularly blown away by this trailer I'm wondering if this might be Marvel Studios' boondoggle. They survived Iron Man 2 nicely but it's a whole new overblown comic book movie universe these days.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

It'll do well because all the Tom Hiddleston fangirls will storm the theaters. The trailer doesn't make it look too awful. It doesn't make it look like anything I want to rush out and see, but it looks mildly interesting. That's pretty much what I thought after the trailer for the first one.

i did eventually see the first one, not sure why i never posted. it was only OK for me. parts were really good, parts were really forced. wish they would have cast an unknown rather than portman (much as i like her) - it would have served the film better.

comicbookmove.com wrote:In the latest issue of SFX magazine, Thor: The Dark World director, Alan Taylor ("Game of Thrones"), reveals that when he had issues with a certain scene he turned to the creator of WB's Buffy the Vampire Slayer for some much needed help.

"Joss came in to save our lives a couple of times," laughs the director. "We had a major scene that was not working on the page at all in London, and he basically got airlifted in, like a SWAT team or something. He came down, rewrote the scene, and before he got back to his plane I sort of grabbed him and said, 'And this scene and this scene?' And he rewrote two other scenes that I thought had problems. Then finally we let go of him, he took off again, and we shot the scenes; and they were just much better and much lighter on their feet. Much more fun, much more surprising than what we had been trying to do. I can relate to guys who come out of the TV world, since that's where I come from. And being able to land and work and solve a problem quikcly... I really was grateful."

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... wRgDf7g.99
Joss Whedon, script hitman.

Saw that, I figured Joss would do some cleanup on some of the Phase 2 flicks, it's one of the things they hired him for. Wondering if this is going to be a large exercise in meh.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

So, pleasantly surprised, the sequel was pretty entertaining if ultimately pretty slight. Bad guys' motivation is, well, they're bad guys. Doesn't get much more complicated than that, although the overall production design with them is pretty cool, they have a unique weapon or two, and there's basically a spaceship fight in Asgard that's better than any I can remember from the new Star Wars movies off the top of my head. Lots of humor throughout, Portman appears to be there mainly to drop Jossy non-sequitors (of course, as is her sidekick from the first movie), and the Loki stuff is pretty well done too. Like a lot of Marvel product, it's fairly disposable but generally good fun. Nice little tie in to an upcoming feature in one of two post-credit sequences, good Marvel geek candy for sure.

Agree with everything Alexhead said. About half the audience was gone when the first "credit scene" ran, and only about 10 people were still there for the second one. Obviously not real fans or they would have at least guessed something might show up.
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

Storm13 wrote:Agree with everything Alexhead said. About half the audience was gone when the first "credit scene" ran, and only about 10 people were still there for the second one. Obviously not real fans or they would have at least guessed something might show up.
I was floored, there was exactly one other person in the audience for the second clip (which, if you really have to get somewhere, is pretty goddamn useless, between this and the IM3 one they look to be getting a bit lazy). Even our kids' babysitter who came with us to the movie thought we should leave after the first one. Bizarre.

Finally watched this today. I thought it was kind of boring. The weakest now of the Marvel films I'd say.
The second post credits clip is necessary
to establish that Thor is back on Earth for Avengers 2

Yeah, it probably was there for that I guess. It's a damn site better than Iron Man 2 though.

late to the game here, but finally saw this yesterday. agree with both alexhead & mike on all counts. seems like they kind of rush through everything. i feel like this would have been a 10- or 12-issue run on paper, at least. lots of major points in thor's life happen in this film that just get kind of glazed over like, "oh well, that happened, what's next?" kind of ultimately does the god of thunder a disservice if you're trying to establish a character, but not so much if all you care about is establishing that he can show up and smash things. getting kind of fed up with the obvious lack of caring about character in the comic book movies. everything the initial detractors against comic book-based films said is sort of becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy now, perpetrated by the very folks who have control. i think they'd be better off making fewer but far more memorable films, spreading out the release dates to give folks time to breathe, but that would be counter to the quick-cash-grab-while-everyone-thinks-this-is-hot/good-and-while-actors-are-still-willing/the correct age mentality. ultimately fear they are going to burn out these characters so brightly that no one will want to touch them again for a long, long time.

I guess this will work as the thread for all the Thor films. Cast for Ragnarok:
Marvel wrote:
Marvel Studios Confirms Stellar New Cast Members of the Highly Anticipated 'Thor: Ragnarok'

Cate Blanchett, Jeff Goldblum, Tessa Thompson, Karl Urban, & Mark Ruffalo join the illustrious cast!

Two-time Oscar®-winner Cate Blanchett (“Blue Jasmine,” “Carol, “Cinderella”) joins Marvel Studios’ “Thor: Ragnarok” as the mysterious and powerful new villain Hela, along with Jeff Goldblum (the upcoming “Independence Day: Resurgence,” “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “Jurassic Park”) who joins the cast as the eccentric Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson (“Creed,” “Selma”) who will bring the classic hero Valkyrie to life on the big screen, and Karl Urban (“Star Trek” trilogy, “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King”) who will add his might to the fray as Skurge.

Rounding out the cast for the film is three-time Oscar®-nominee Mark Ruffalo (“Spotlight,” “The Kids Are All Right,” “Foxcatcher”), reprising his role of Bruce Banner/the Hulk from “Marvel’s The Avengers” and Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

“The continuation of the epic Thor franchise will be powerful and unique, and with the additions of Cate, Jeff, Tessa, Karl, and Mark to the cast we have the makings of his most dangerous and heroic adventure yet,” said Producer Kevin Feige. “The sheer, raw talent each of these actors brings to the screen can’t be quantified. Having any one of them join the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be an honor, and having all of them is incredible."

Thor’s new cast members join returning stars Chris Hemsworth (“Rush,” “In the Heart of the Sea,” “Ghostbusters”) in the title role for the fifth time; Tom Hiddleston (“Crimson Peak,” “The Night Manager,” “Kong: Skull Island”) as Thor’s adversarial, adopted brother, Loki; Golden Globe® and Screen Actors Guild Award winner Idris Elba (“The Dark Tower,” “Luther,” “Beasts of No Nation”) as the Asgardian sentry, Heimdall; and Academy Award®-winner Sir Anthony Hopkins (“Silence of the Lambs,” “Nixon,” “Hitchcock”) again portraying Odin, Ruler of Asgard.

“Thor: Ragnarok,” the third installment of Marvel’s popular Norse Super Hero, is directed by Oscar®-nominated filmmaker Taika Waititi (“Two Cars, One Night,” “What We Do in the Shadows,” “Hunt for the Wilderpeople”). Kevin Feige will produce the film, joined by executive producers Louis D’Esposito, Brad Winderbaum, Victoria Alonso, Thomas M. Hammel and Stan Lee.

TC wrote:note the lack of Dredd mention for urban. fuck you, author.
I didn't even realize he was in Return of the King. But after about hour 20 of that film my eyes started to glaze over.