by the way, FUCK "sting"

heh.

Saw the Police live in 1978 (I think)...the Go-Gos opened for them! At the time they were a great, unpretentious, talented trio. They rocked. And then, with somewhat dismaying rapidity, Stink spiralled downward into artsy over-produced unintentionally snicker-inducing flatulence.

And then there's "eminem"....heh

i'm so envious that you saw them then. i mean, belinda carlisle... ;)

j/k. i'm a huge fan of the police, and frankly, stings latest album makes up for some of the shit he's put out since then (but nothing will ever make up for playing the country music awards). i just have a respect for the guy, i guess.

but every time he insists on playing/ruining a police song (see: end credits of Demolition Man), i just want to kill him. literally. he has no business playing those songs, as he will just ruin them.

i chose to ignore those instances. much like the jimmy page/puff daddy appearance on SNL...

I used to go out with a girl who looked a LOT like Belinda Carlisle. I'll have to see if I can dig up a pic (without the wifey noticing, of course).

Personally, I was ok with Sting when he started doing his own thing. But he's getting stagnant, IMHO. I also don't like him doing (ruining) the old Police standards. However, if you want a great version of Demolition Man, try the one Grace Jones did. I haven't heard his most recent stuff all the way through but the stuff I have heard on the radio didn't impress me as much as his "older" stuff like Fragile.

Pucknut

In listening to random mp3's all day, I have to change my position a little bit. Sting did a solo, acoustic version of Message In a Bottle for "The Secret Policeman's Other Ball" (an Amnesty International fundraiser) and it's very good.

Pucknut

I saw the Police on the Ghost in the machine tour. I think Joan Jett opened for them. She rocks live.

Sting has a lot of music that I like and I have quite a few of his solo albums. I also have the Message in a Box(box set) which has all the police albums on 4 CD's. Walking on the Moon is one my favorite songs by them. :wink:

I have Message in a Box too. Great set. Personally, I like their "middle" stuff like Bed's Too Big Without You and Re-Humanize Yourself.

Pucknut

i've got pretty much everything i can find on the Police and their various members. ha, i got the Message in a Box set for $20. actually, i got two for $20, but that's another story.

i like various parts of their entire carreer.

have you guys heard any of the really early stuff? like Strontium 90? that's the band they were all in, with another guy, prior to the police. some of that stuff is great. Klark Kent? that's stewert copeland's side project from right after Ghost came out. it's out there, not great, but different.

oh, and Oysterhead? that's his current side project with Les Claypool and the guitarist from Phish (whom i can't stand). there's some pretty great stuff coming from that.

if you guys haven't heard the Strontium 90, i'll put some up.

I'd still like to hear some, but I don't have a computer setup that would be condusive to much downloading right now...don't know when that'll change, either.

I think you got an earful on my Sting opinions a while back; I have seen him a couple of times live early in his solo career and was impressed, but nothing he's done really has the panache of the Police, and everything I've heard from him over the last 6 or 7 years has been really pitiful radio-crap. He's still got a great voice, but his creative nadir has long since passed.

Hey TC I'd like to hear some too. :D I think you and I need to see what each other has on CD and start some serious mp3 or ogg (I prefer ogg format because it is open source :D ) swapping. I'm sure I have tons of stuff you would want or laugh at that I amd stupid enough to own. :lol:

Misc. Blues wrote: I'm sure I have tons of stuff you would want or laugh at that I amd stupid enough to own. :lol:
Hmmmm, I have Gary Glitter's Greatest Hits on CD. How's that? :D

Pucknut

Pucknut wrote:
Misc. Blues wrote: I'm sure I have tons of stuff you would want or laugh at that I amd stupid enough to own. :lol:
Hmmmm, I have Gary Glitter's Greatest Hits on CD. How's that? :D

Pucknut
Nope don't have that. With good reason too. :lol:

Misc. Blues wrote:
Pucknut wrote: Hmmmm, I have Gary Glitter's Greatest Hits on CD. How's that? :D

Pucknut
Nope don't have that. With good reason too. :lol:
Well, if you enjoy Rock-n-Roll Part II (and what hockey fan doesn't??) then you'll dig Rock-n-Roll Part I which is the same song with words. Hilarious! He also does a mean version of "Wanderer" and "Do You Want To Touch Me" (the one Joan Jett got on the charts in the 80's). Four decent songs out of 16 isn't tooooo bad. ;)

Pucknut