This was the best Hollywood movie, ever. There's nothing more to say, really. Some of the final scenes were entirely CGI, yet left you with no doubt that they were real. Minor spoiler, for the uninitiated: watching the treefolk start whipping some ass didn't even make me bat an eye. I only realized how far-fetched the idea of fighting trees was after leaving the theatre, because while you're watching, you're so completely immersed in everything, mesmerized by the storyline... I know nothing of the LOTR universe, and yet my jaw dropped quite a few times at some of the developments in the movie. It was an incredible story, an incredible movie, and I hereby give it five stars.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.

LOTR: Two Towers DVD announcement

from digitalbits:

As we reported last night, the 2-disc Theatrical Version will street on August 26th (SRP $29.95) in both full frame and anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1) versions. The 179-minute film will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 EX surround sound, with English and Spanish subtitles and English closed captioning. The exact features list includes: 2 in-depth documentaries (On the Set - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Return to Middle Earth), Sean Astin's The Long and the Short of It short film, The Making of The Long and the Short of It featurette, 8 production featurettes (Forces of Darkness, Designing the Sounds of Middle-earth, Edoras: The Rohan Capital, Creatures of Middle-earth, Gandalf the White, Arms and Armor, The Battle of Helm's Deep and Bringing Gollum to Life), an exclusive 10-minute preview of The Return of the King, original theatrical trailers and TV spots, the Golllum's Song music video by Emiliana Torrini, a preview of Electronic Arts' Return of the King video game, and a preview of the Two Towers: Special Extended DVD Version. This represents some 2 hours of bonus content.

And, as we mentioned last night, the 4-disc Special Extended DVD Version of the film will follow on November 18th. It's currently in production, so specific features and specs will be announced at a later date. But you can reasonably assume it will be similar in format to the previous 4-disc version of The Fellowship of the Ring. As with that disc, no content will be repeated between the 2-disc and 4-disc versions of The Two Towers, so you'll get your money's worth if you buy both versions. The film will be 30+ minutes longer (we've heard 40+) than the theatrical cut. It will be rated PG-13, and will be presented in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound and audio commentary. It will also feature 2 full discs of all new bonus material.

Re: LOTR: Two Towers DVD announcement

darkness wrote:from digitalbits:

As we reported last night, the 2-disc Theatrical Version will street on August 26th (SRP $29.95) in both full frame and anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1) versions. The 179-minute film will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 EX surround sound, with English and Spanish subtitles and English closed captioning. The exact features list includes: 2 in-depth documentaries (On the Set - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Return to Middle Earth), Sean Astin's The Long and the Short of It short film, The Making of The Long and the Short of It featurette, 8 production featurettes (Forces of Darkness, Designing the Sounds of Middle-earth, Edoras: The Rohan Capital, Creatures of Middle-earth, Gandalf the White, Arms and Armor, The Battle of Helm's Deep and Bringing Gollum to Life), an exclusive 10-minute preview of The Return of the King, original theatrical trailers and TV spots, the Golllum's Song music video by Emiliana Torrini, a preview of Electronic Arts' Return of the King video game, and a preview of the Two Towers: Special Extended DVD Version. This represents some 2 hours of bonus content.

And, as we mentioned last night, the 4-disc Special Extended DVD Version of the film will follow on November 18th. It's currently in production, so specific features and specs will be announced at a later date. But you can reasonably assume it will be similar in format to the previous 4-disc version of The Fellowship of the Ring. As with that disc, no content will be repeated between the 2-disc and 4-disc versions of The Two Towers, so you'll get your money's worth if you buy both versions. The film will be 30+ minutes longer (we've heard 40+) than the theatrical cut. It will be rated PG-13, and will be presented in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound and audio commentary. It will also feature 2 full discs of all new bonus material.
Y'know, I've still never seen the extended version of Fellowship. Is it really worth it? Or just longer? I'm perfectly content with the theatrical version, but then I'm not a Tolkien junkie so perhaps that's the issue.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

two things:

mike - absolute thanks for bringing this here. i was just talking about this with someone the other day, wondering when i can stop worrying about the damn VCDs my buddy has. i just haven't had time to do shit online lately other than look for jobs. i really appreciate the effort you're showing lately.

j-doh: the extended version is absolutely the only way i'll ever watch it again. very much worth it.

TC wrote: i was just talking about this with someone the other day, wondering when i can stop worrying about the damn VCDs my buddy has.
Vcds? Hell, dvd's of the academy screener have been all over the place since January.
TC wrote:i just haven't had time to do shit online lately other than look for jobs. i really appreciate the effort you're showing lately.
No problem. Hope the job searching is going well.
TC wrote:j-doh: the extended version is absolutely the only way i'll ever watch it again. very much worth it.
I second that. The extended version fleshes out the characters so much better, and doesn't rush the story as much. I'm not a diehard Tolkien junkie by any means, but the extended cut is far superior.

The extended version is the only way to go, I agree. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the title sequence is different, which IMHO is too Lucasesque of a change. In the original, the titles overlay a scene of Frodo under a tree, and in the new version they overlay a scene of Bilbo writing at his desk.

Re: ...

heck wrote:The extended version is the only way to go, I agree. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the title sequence is different, which IMHO is too Lucasesque of a change. In the original, the titles overlay a scene of Frodo under a tree, and in the new version they overlay a scene of Bilbo writing at his desk.
OK then, Sen. Kennedy. As well as everyone else. I've a birthday coming up in a couple months, so if the folks ask what I'd like I'll just point 'em toward that...
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

[DVD] 'TTT' extended edition specs

DVDFile wrote:Leading off this week's news are more details on what is sure to be one of the biggest DVD releases of the year, if not the biggest, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Extended Edition. Replicating the same release pattern as The Fellowship of the Ring last year (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), New Line Home Entertainment will release the theatrical cut as a two-disc set in August, followed by this four-disc behemoth on November 18th.

In addition to a newly-expanded cut of the film featuring over 40 minutes of new material, the extras are vast. The feature is spread over the first two discs, with four audio commentaries by director Peter Jackson and the writers, the second with the design team, the third with the production team and the four with the cast. The feature is presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS 6.1 ES Discrete soundtracks.

Disc three features The Appendices: Adapting the book into a screenplay and planning the film, the design and inspiration for locations in Middle-earth storyboards to pre-visualization, a Weta Workshop visit to see the sculptors in action as they create the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film, an "Atlas of Middle-Earth," an additional interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process, multiple featurettes including "Sending Actors to Battle" (preparation for sword fighting), "Post-Production" (editing it all together) and "Principal Photography" (stories from the set), a look at the digital effects including motion capture and "Massive" (a program to create armies of Orcs), additional "Bigatures" (a close-up look at the detailed miniatures used in the film), a sound design demonstration, still galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists plus additional behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos. Also included are extensive ROM extras to be announced. Retail is $39.95.

Last but not least, New Line will also release a special Gift Set of the Extended Edition, which also streets on November 18th. Expect the same great extras above plus a Collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta, "The Evolution of Gollum" exclusive documentary on the Weta Workshop and how the Gollum statue was created, a printed companion piece showing how Gollum evolved from pencil sketch to sculpted maquette to digital character, and collectible packaging. Retail is $69.95.
Smiegel. i can't fucking wait.

LOTR The Two Towers

I guess I really missed out due to some lack of mental awareness yesterday. Last night my son and I were shopping for the weekly daycare groceries at the evil empire known as Wal-Mart Super Center. A big display right in front of the main entrance had stacks of the new DVD. Not paying attention to the day, I thought to myself I'll pick one up later when I'm back shopping for personal items later. Only today, when I'm there again do I realize that the street date isn't until August 26th. Needless to say, the display was no where in sight on this trip.

I wonder how much trouble America's #1 retailer will get in for not honoring a published street date?

Re: LOTR The Two Towers

Storm13 wrote:I guess I really missed out due to some lack of mental awareness yesterday. Last night my son and I were shopping for the weekly daycare groceries at the evil empire known as Wal-Mart Super Center. A big display right in front of the main entrance had stacks of the new DVD. Not paying attention to the day, I thought to myself I'll pick one up later when I'm back shopping for personal items later. Only today, when I'm there again do I realize that the street date isn't until August 26th. Needless to say, the display was no where in sight on this trip.

I wonder how much trouble America's #1 retailer will get in for not honoring a published street date?
Eh, that happens. I remember picking up a Pearl Jam tape 10 years ago at Kmart about a day or so before its street date. And I used to work at a video shop, and stores tend to get the stuff about a week in advance at the least, and if they've got a real chucklehead working the counter it can be easy for them to toss product out for the masses.

Wal-mart is pretty bad about street dates. And having seen some of the employees who work there putting stuff out, it's understandable. I've picked up several discs there before the street date. On the other hand, sometimes they also forget to put discs out on the street date, so I guess it evens out in the end.
As for Two Towers, I'll probably sit this disc out and wait for the four disc one in November. I've had an academy screener DVD of the film itself since January, and there's nothing in the extras on this disc that really intrestes me. It's the expanded version of the film that I'm looking forward to.

darkness wrote:As for Two Towers, I'll probably sit this disc out and wait for the four disc one in November.
Yup, same here.

O-dot wrote:
darkness wrote:As for Two Towers, I'll probably sit this disc out and wait for the four disc one in November.
Yup, same here.
Same for me too, already orderd.
"Good taste is the death of art."
-Truman Capote

I use to work at Blockbuster and if we sold a move or even rented a movie before the street data it could mean bug bucks in laysuits.
..then agian who is going to make walmart their enemy. If i had to guess Walmsrt didn't pay a penny.

I made the mistake of buying the fellowship when it first came out. I will also definetly wait for the extended version.
What Is Real!? Coming 2005

as a completist, and seeing how this is the only way to get the theatrical release, i'll be picking up both, just as last time. :) especially considering no extras will be duplicated (just as last time).

Return of the King

Is the third installment of ANY trilogy usually the best of the bunch? You all big fans of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," or maybe "Return of the Jedi," as compared to the preceeding two products? Who really likes "Halloween III"....at all? O.K., you get my drift. The Law Of Diminishing Returns is what it boils down to, and I believe this film suffers from that somewhat. I found myself to be getting bored and twitchy about halfway through, and with few exceptions that's how I felt for the remaining 15 hours (o.k., 2 hours) of the thing. Jackson cannot be faulted; he's doing the best he can in adapting this fanboy grail, and his best is pretty darn good. But for me, never a fan of the source material, I didn't really see anything new in this one that hadn't been done better in the first two. One exception would be the ghost army, which was badass, but then we never really get to see it do its' stuff! Cut five minutes of slo-mo out of the weepy ending (best part of that is a rather tongue-in-cheek Wizard of Oz reference shot) and add five minutes of the ghosts kicking all sorts of ass, don't just give us two swerving long shots of the green swarm from miles away! The story of the Steward and his son is the completion of an arc started in the first one, but it was never a particularly gripping batch of characters and it becomes a distraction as the war begins to rage. I'd post more but I need to run and I'm kind of bored of the whole overhyped topic right now...
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Return of the King

Alexhead wrote:You all big fans of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade,"
Well, it was more watchable than Temple of Doom.

But yeah, I tend to agree with you about ROTK. I was kind of getting bored with it after a while. A good editor could have probably chopped about 20 minutes out of it at least and I don't think the film would have suffered.

Hm, cut out Short Round (please!) and I think Temple Of Doom's pretty fun. But the kids, as usual with Spiel, tend to soil everything. Agreed on the editor; I can't really take away from the quality of the film, I was just kind of tired of it by the end.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

LOTR ... The 1 and the 2 was very impressive. But they don't go so high than the 3
The 3 is THE best episode of LOTR that i seen. It was amazing, impressive. I liked it!
Hey mate! I'm here!