Avs 3-0, woo-hoo!

They said on the radio last night that the owners were losing less money with no games going on than with the season rolling...how sad is that? Kind of indicates the players better belly up to the bar if anything's going to get fixed. Man I hope they do something soon, they're just fucking killing themselves.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

So long as the league doesn't lose any more than six teams, I'm pleased.

My vision: I'd really like to see a realigment of the league that creates two conferences, each having 3 divisions (West, Central, East) of four teams, for a total of 24 teams. Division leaders into the playoffs, along with three wildcards - meaning an entire division, if strong enough, could still make the playoffs. Then give first-round byes to the two leading teams, a real incentive to win at the end of the season - and if this sounds familiar, yeah, I stole it from the NFL for the most part. ;) You might want to argue that a giant rest like that would give too big of an advantage, but teams do get cold while sitting on their rear ends. Maybe a cue could be taken from MLB as well, by shortening the first series to five games - would reduce that advantage too. Either way, I'm bored by the current 16-team format, and will be moreso with a smaller league.

Along with a shortening of the season, maybe to 72-74 games, I really do think something like this would help see a return to the intense, physical hockey of days gone by. Hell, cut two positions from each roster as well - five defencemen and seven wingers to go with the four centres. By my rough calculations, that would cut the league's total dressed players down from 600 to 432, and mangames per season from 49,200 to less than 32,000. Meaning you'd lose the bottom five or six players from each current roster, and with fewer players playing fewer games, there would be a reduction in injuries and an increase in skill.

Obviously the NHLPA would never stand for such huge job loss, even though it would allow players to maintain current salary levels - but god damn, you'd have one hell of a sport all over again.
TC wrote:as soon as baseball stops being homosexual, i will.