Re: Napoleon

finally watched this. i don't really know what Scott was hoping to accomplish with this, but whatever it was, i don't think it worked out for him. it played like this was some kind of response to seeing how the titular character was portrayed in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. the look and tone is very serious, but the dialog and plot points are pretty ridiculous and don't match the tone of the film. the delivery choices Phoenix made here do not do the film any favors. his meandering, mumbly take on Napoleon is very odd. maybe it's realistic, i don't know, but if so, the rest of the film doesn't mesh with this. it just feels like it never really connects. there are great visual sequences and set pieces here. the wardrobe and set design were fantastic, the highlight of the film for sure. but all these ingredients are better than the sum of their parts. the film just ends up feeling very odd at best, and very forgettable. kind of sad to see all around. hoping Scott has some more great work in him before he joins his brother. this one just didn't work for me.