darkness wrote: 25/06/23, 21:08:45 I don't know about the new one, but I've found the original impossible to watch without seeing it on a giant screen in 3d. Because that's really all there is to the film, the 3d visuals. Character and storywise it's weak as hell. I can't make it more than 15 minutes. I really don't have any desire to see the new one.
Yeah, it definitely didn’t translate to home viewing, where the microscope is focused on the story and character development. I even had a large 3D TV and bought the 3D film to watch it that way at home and it didn’t really work. It’s a big-screen eye candy film. Because of that, I haven’t re-watched it since. But from my memory, this new one is a better film than the original. Of course, I didn’t see it in the theater on a giant screen, where I’m sure it shined much more, but at home, it’s better than the original I think.

Just saw Titanic again for the first time since the 90s. There are some cheesy - albeit commercially necessary - moments for sure, but the overall power and monumental physical complexity of the filmmaking overwhelms like the inexorable tilt of the ship. And there's an almost Kubrickian iciness beneath the schmaltz - everyone facing death in their own way, with dignity or otherwise. The string quintet steal the show.

Goddamn it's such a waste that Cameron has been playing with these blue CG monstrosities for going on 20 years now...