Re: The Black Phone

Finally watched this last night. I really liked it, more than i expected to. But, it’s not really “horror”. It’s more of a missing/kidnapped kid movie than horror. There are very light horror elements (a couple scenes of ghosts, how they were killed, etc.). And obviously from the trailer a creepy kidnapper in a mask. Just not really horror. Like how people call Silence Of The Lambs horror. It just isn’t to me, it’s a cop/serial killer movie. Whatever, point is - this is a good movie. Well done, well acted. Amazingly, none of the kids are fucking annoying, like they always are made to be in these movies. And, not really a “happy” ending, sort of bitter-sweet,
since the kids have to go back to the clearly broken and abusive father for another few years at least
. Recommend checking it out, especially as someone who grew up in the ‘70s - quite the memory lane here, production/art/costume dept knocked it out of the park. Which reminds me, i think it’s the very first scene, we see someone open a pull-tab Coors Banquet. I’m extremely curious to know where they got this. Yeah, there are probably collectors who have some of these things, but this was a full can, the person took at least a sip before the camera cut away. Or, they acted very well. Either way, the pulling off of the tab was real, and i’m intrigued to know where they got a functional can.

Re: The Black Phone

TC wrote: 01/10/22, 07:10:45 Finally watched this last night. I really liked it, more than i expected to. But, it’s not really “horror”. It’s more of a missing/kidnapped kid movie than horror. There are very light horror elements (a couple scenes of ghosts, how they were killed, etc.). And obviously from the trailer a creepy kidnapper in a mask. Just not really horror. Like how people call Silence Of The Lambs horror. It just isn’t to me, it’s a cop/serial killer movie. Whatever, point is - this is a good movie. Well done, well acted. Amazingly, none of the kids are fucking annoying, like they always are made to be in these movies. And, not really a “happy” ending, sort of bitter-sweet,
since the kids have to go back to the clearly broken and abusive father for another few years at least.
Recommend checking it out, especially as someone who grew up in the ‘70s - quite the memory lane here, production/art/costume dept knocked it out of the park. Which reminds me, i think it’s the very first scene, we see someone open a pull-tab Coors Banquet. I’m extremely curious to know where they got this. Yeah, there are probably collectors who have some of these things, but this was a full can, the person took at least a sip before the camera cut away. Or, they acted very well. Either way, the pulling off of the tab was real, and i’m intrigued to know where they got a functional can.