Re: David Lynch Blu-Ray / 4K / UHD disc tracker

Maybe. Blue Velvet is owned by MGM, who was just sold to Amazon. I can see where they might be re-claiming the streaming rights for sure for Amazon Prime. But since Amazon has no physical media interests, the question is probably do they see having a physical disc out there competition for streaming or not. If no, then they might renew Criterion's physical media rights.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

I suspect it'll only be a blu-ray release, but who knows. I saw the new restoration theatrically last month and it certainly didn't really look any better than it did originally. But the sound sucked. At first I thought it was the theater's fault, but I've heard other people mention how bad it is including John Neff. Hopefully they fix that for the new disc.

klimov wrote: 10/08/22, 05:57:14 Saw some comments on Facebook that the sound is screwed for LH too...
It sounded good in the theater I went to, which is no small feat as their sound usually sucks.

Does anyone actually buy Criterion discs except at the B&N sale (which Amazon always matches)? Unless it's Lynch, I always wait.

If Criterion do a UK version that'll be cheaper, but there's been no 4K from Criterion in the UK so far (tsk!). With B&N there are shipping charges, so other suppliers like blowitoutofhere and HDWow were comparable or cheaper In the past (and still are the best bet for some labels like Kino). Outside the B&N sale, the best price on a US Criterion from here is probably the UK Amazon site - again, no shipping charges - but you have to wait until after the release date, which is a little bit tedious, and it still ain't cheap.

Have noticed the prices for 4K limited editions getting sillier and sillier - up to £80 for a single film! - but I guess this makes sense in that the consumer base is small and fervent.

So yeah, the price dropped to £39 and had to have it of course... It's pretty great. Sharp with lots of nice grain. Very slightly brighter and a touch more desaturated than I remembered it. Bowie and the Highway in 4K really takes you back 25 years. The famous corridor oddly doesn't have quite the same impact as it did in the cinema b/c you can see all the detail in the walls and it loses some of its Rothko-esque abstraction. In hindsight, the casting of Robert Blake is, er... not sure what the word is?! I do still feel the film as a whole loses a little air after the near-perfect first 30 minutes and never quite gets it back, making this middle-tier Lynch ultimately.