Re: Prometheus [Ridley Scott]

DH wrote:Blomkamp’s “Aliens” Sequel Is Definitely Dead

Filmmaker Neill Blomkamp’s proposed plans for a direct “Aliens” sequel are now well and truly dead. Talking up his Oat Studios label this week, the filmmaker revealed that his desire to make the film has come and gone.

The “District 9” helmer got many fans excited following his sharing of some concept art online several years ago. However, once Ridley Scott decided that he finally wanted to make “Alien: Covenant” then Blomkamp’s movie was put on the shelf and looked unlikely to be revived. Now he says its death is a certainty, telling JoBlo:

“Yeah, I mean, I wish I could share more, but obviously Fox owns it. It’s just an unfortunate thing. I speak to Sigourney about it sometimes. At this point, it’s kinda like the fire that was burning within me to make that is gone. Stepping outside of even the legal kind of studio-based politics I just feel like its time has come and gone.

So, yeah…I think no. And I say that really reluctantly because I cannot state how much of a fan of Sigourney I am and how much of a fan I am of Alien and Aliens and the idea of doing a sequel to James Cameron’s film is amazing on all levels. But, there’s a point at which when you’re years into it you have to move on. So, I think that has happened to me.”

20th Century Fox hasn’t announced what they’re going to do next with “Alien” following the disappointing returns for ‘Covenant’.
thanks a lot, trump.

You mean Sir Ridley. He's the one who derailed this. Still, I don't know how great Blomkamp's movie would have been. He's basically 1 for 3 in my book.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Indiewire wrote:Alien: Awakening’: Plot Details Revealed for On-Hold Ridley Scott Sequel
After the poor box office results for "Alien: Covenant," Ridley Scott might never return to the franchise.

While the future of Ridley Scott’s “Alien” franchise on the big screen remains unclear, details about the intended next film, “Alien: Awakening,” are coming into focus. As part of Empire Magazine’s special “Alien” anniversary issue (via AV Club), the publication confirmed screenwriter John Logan, who co-wrote “Alien: Covenant” with Dante Harper, has already finished writing “Awakening” and the film is now waiting to be made. Empire even spilled the beans on the next sequel’s plot.

Following the events of “Covenant,” in which it was revealed the android David (Michael Fassbender) caused a genocide on the planet Paradise that wiped out the Engineer population, “Awakening” would find a group of Engineers who survived the mass murder making it their mission to exact revenge and kill David. The Engineers were first introduced in “Prometheus” and are humanity’s forerunners. The fight was expected to bring both parties to LV-426, the planet featured in Scott’s original “Alien” where Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley first encountered the Xenomorphs.

The plot description for “Awakening” indicates Scott was planning to bring the entire franchise full circle with his next installment. Whatever went down in the battle between Fassbender’s David and the remaining Engineers would probably give rise to the Xenomorph population Ripley eventually encounters. The sequel would also bring Fassbender back for his third “Alien” movie. Whatever people may think of Scott’s prequel films, Fassbender’s performance has been the most acclaimed element.

Unfortunately, the probability of “Alien: Awakening” ever becoming an actual film is low. “Covenant” was a box office bomb for 20th Century Fox when it was released in summer 2017, as it only grossed $74 million opposite a production budget near the $100 million mark. While the film’s international gross brought its worldwide total to $240 million, there was an alarming drop in interest in the franchise from moviegoers.

Following the release of “Covenant,” Scott opened the kidnapping drama “All the Money in the World.” Whether or not “Alien: Awakening” happens, Scott will stay busy with projects such as “Gladiator 2” and “Battle of Britain” in development.

They really just need to let the franchise die. It was played out about five movies ago. I know studios hate leaving franchise money lying around, but no one wants to see an Alien(s) film anymore. It was kind of a one note idea to start with, just one that happened to be executed really well for two films. Let it go.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

screencrush wrote:‘Alien’ Is Getting Its First TV Series on FX

Alien has had four movies, two prequels, and two crossover movies with the Predator franchise. It’s had comic books, novels, video games, toys, merchandising, and probably a breakfast cereal or two along the way. But it’s never had a television series — until now.

For the first time Alien is getting the TV treatment, from FX. Announced at Disney’s Investor Day for 2020, the series will be created by Noah Hawley, who knows a thing or two about bringing popular films to the small screen as the creator of FX’s Fargo. The official announcement also mentioned the involvement of Alien and Alien: Covenant director Ridley Scott as a producer, and that the show will be the first Alien work that takes place on Earth, rather than deep space. It also described the tone of the series as a blend of Alien and Aliens.

Note that the series is one of the FX series made specifically and exclusively for Hulu.

The Alien franchise has been in a holding pattern since 2017’s Alien: Covenant, directed by Scott, and filling in more of the details about the origin of the xenomorphs. There have been various rumors about more prequels and sequels, as there always are, but nothing concrete until this new TV series now in development for FX on Hulu. At this time, no timeline was given for when the show will premiere.
fx? hulu? so a PG-13 alien show. yep, that's just what we all needed...

update on the alien TV show:
Fango wrote: FX's ALIEN TV Series Confirmed To Begin Filming In 2023
Noah Hawley's long-in-the-works ALIEN TV show is finally set to roll cameras next year and will bring the franchise to Earth.

Some good news, Xenomorph fans! After nearly two years of hearing about it, FX's Alien TV show from Noah Hawley (Fargo, Legion) is finally pressing forth in a significant way. As reported by Deadline, FX head John Landgraf has revealed that filming on the first-ever live-action series within the iconic sci-fi/horror franchise is set to begin in 2023. And, assuming everything goes well, the show could also debut later next year.

According to the report, Landgraf also said that Hawley has submitted all of the scripts for the show, which will take place on Earth. There is no word yet on whether or not this is being eyed as a limited series or if the plan is to have it go multiple seasons. Ridley Scott, director of the original Alien, Alien: Covenant and Prometheus, is on board as a producer. The report notes that Landgraf had previously pegged 2023 as a possible release target for the show, which was announced in late 2020.

Casting details have yet to be revealed, but with the scripts now submitted, one has to imagine we'll be hearing word on that front sooner rather than later. One thing is for sure: don't expect to see any familiar faces. It had previously been confirmed that this show would take things much further back in the timeline and take place on Earth. While the Alien vs. Predator movies took place on our little blue planet, none of the films in the official canon have had an Earth-bound setting. Speaking earlier this year with The Hollywood Reporter, Landgraf had this to say about the show's story:

"Alien takes place before Ripley. It's the first story in the Alien franchise that takes place on Earth. It takes place on our planet, near the end of this century we're currently in — 70-odd years from now. All I can tell you is Ripley won't be a part of it, and neither will any other characters — other than the alien itself."

This marks a major moment in the franchise's history as it will be bringing it to the small screen for the first time. Not to mention the Earth of it all. The last film was 2017's Covenant, and, unfortunately, it didn't perform as well as Fox had hoped at the box office. As a result, Scott's plans for a further sequel were scrapped. The good news is that another Alien movie from director Fede Álvarez (Evil Dead, Don't Breathe) is in the works for Hulu in addition to the series.

The Alien TV show does not yet have a release date set.

re-watched Prometheus again recently, and have to say, i agree with everything i said upon initial viewing. it's a really good film, even with all the problems it definitely has. i loved it, loved the ideas here even if there were a few script details i wish, as klimov said, had been addressed with another draft or two. maybe some characters adjusted and/or removed entirely. but overall doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the film. definitely still don't get the hate.