Re: Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016)

saw this in IMAX 3D yesterday. really enjoyed it. my one gripe with it was that there is literally no context presented for time frame anywhere. we don't know how long between the wreck and his rehab, how long before he gave up & went to nepal, how long he was in nepal, etc. it just zooms right along. it's hard to believe the relationship he has later in the film with other members/peers when from our perspective he's known them a few minutes/hours/days? presumably years passed? who knows. but, stunning visuals for sure. took what nolan did on inception to the next exponential level. not one gun in the film. the cloak was great. really feel like i need to see it again to see everything. loved the first credits tag. both of my kids (20 & 15) said it was their favorite marvel film in a long time.

Re: Doctor Strange (Derrickson, 2016)

Saw it today and kinda liked it, I guess? Like most other new Marvel films, it suffers from a backstory heavy first half and completely bland, lets-fight-the-bad-guy second half. Some amazing visuals for sure, and Tilda Swinton is always, always a pleasure to watch. But the rest was just ok, nothing more, nothing less.

Re: Doctor Strange films

I half expect the Patrick Stewart thing to be another fake out like Evan Peters was. Instead of playing Professor X like everyone expects, it'll turn out he plays Gary the janitor who's just passing through to unclog the toilet.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

saw this over the weekend. while it promises "madness", it was pretty straight-forward. wish it had been more "mad", frankly. but i enjoyed it. a lot of nods to sam's evil dead series, like
eyeball popping, bruce beating himself up, the delta, the sky tornado/portal, and general maguffin of searching for a magic book
, which was very enjoyable. a surprising amount of horror elements here too. lots of it really felt like a horror film that just happens to take place in the marvel universe (like New Mutants promised to be, but wasn't). not sure how marvel fanboys are taking this film, it's not really heavy on the "marvel-y-ness", and
seemingly kills scarlet witch
. some pretty thin plot elements that never get fleshed out makes me feel like only a percentage of this film was really sam's while the rest was driven by over-arching marvel curators. shrug. still, quite enjoyable.

Saw this last night with the family, and it was pretty fun, especially watching my kids react to the horror elements (they're 11 and 14 and haven't watched much horror). We've been watching a lot of the Marvel movies with them, but this was quite different from what they were expecting, even though I warned them ahead of time that it was more like a horror movie than the others from what I'd read.

I was just grinning at the Raimi-esque horror at times, seeing the Olds spinning around in the air, Bruce, etc. Reminded me of the Doc Oc surgery scene that felt so Raimi in that Spiderman movie (2, I think?).

Not the most cohesive movie, but fun. I wonder how this came about. Did they have the whole thing written and then talked Raimi into directing it and he put a whole horror spin on it, or did they go to him first looking for that? It felt like he took someone else's ideas and then made it his own, but ended up with a stew of different concepts floating around in there. A bit uneven, but parts of it were a blast.

I wonder how this came about. Did they have the whole thing written and then talked Raimi into directing it
Wikipedia says the first film's director bailed, and then Raimi joined the production.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.