Re: Listening to lately

haha nah, fortunately it was just Behemoth and Slipknot. I was just cosmically late in noticing big d's post about Godsmack up the page here, and Rammstein are the default comparison for over-the-top on-stage pyrotechnics. If you want a bad line-up though, I'd seen Stone Sour there before, and they were supported by... the Pretty Reckless. :snore:

Behemoth were fucking great tbh, totally flawless. Slipknot themselves put on a solid show (it was mostly older songs, which was great), but the mix and EQ was absolutely fucking dire. Never heard anything so bad at a gig in my life. Snare alone was overpowering absolutely everything on-stage, but you couldn't hear the cymbals at all. Guitars were a mush (bass was non-existent), with the only LF representation coming from the kick (which was also wildly overpowering). The repeater stacks were all only putting out HF too (I'd guestimate >2kHz). I've seen Slipknot at that venue without issue before, so they can't even claim unfamiliarity. It was mental.

Not me, but my son in this case. We got him an mp3 player for Christmas (how retro!). He's 13 and we don't want to get him a phone yet, but he likes listening to music on his headphones. I loaded a bunch of albums on it (PG-13 stuff - no Slayer yet) and handed it over to him without introducing any of the bands.

The other day he said, "I found a band on here that's really cool!" "Oh yeah, which one?" (I have no idea because I put a wide mix of stuff on there) "Mastery. They really rock." :thrash:

Personally I've been listening to a ton of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard lately. I also discovered the UK funk band Speedometer thanks to Pandora.

The Earthless album Night Parade of One Hundred Demons is really good. I preordered it in November, and it came out on 1/28. I finally got a shipping notice today that they shipped my order with the CD. Luckily it's available on streaming, so I've already been able to listen to it a bunch. I still like having the physical CDs though. Still can't commit to buying everything digitally only.

I got the Immortal Wacken 2007 DVD the other day and was listening to it. I decided to show my kids the music video for Blashyrkh for fun. I told my kids that they might like black metal because my daughter (11) only likes to wear black right now and my son (14) likes metal. About a minute into the video she asked "is this video a joke?" Followed by "why are we watching this?" :roflmao: And we cut it short. But my son liked the drumming (he plays percussion in MS band and has been taking lessons at School of Rock). So, a small success there.

I love the beginning of Sons of Northern Darkness at Wacken when Abbath asks the crowd "HOWTHEFUCKAREYOUDOINGSOFARMOTHERFUCKERRRRSSSS!"

big d note wrote: 08/03/22, 17:29:52 I got the Immortal Wacken 2007 DVD the other day and was listening to it. I decided to show my kids the music video for Blashyrkh for fun. I told my kids that they might like black metal because my daughter (11) only likes to wear black right now and my son (14) likes metal. About a minute into the video she asked "is this video a joke?" Followed by "why are we watching this?" :roflmao: And we cut it short. But my son liked the drumming (he plays percussion in MS band and has been taking lessons at School of Rock). So, a small success there.

I love the beginning of Sons of Northern Darkness at Wacken when Abbath asks the crowd "HOWTHEFUCKAREYOUDOINGSOFARMOTHERFUCKERRRRSSSS!"
haha, that's great. and yes, immortal absolutely started as a joke. they were very tongue in cheek with that first album. then just said fuck it and went with it.

Wow, Earthless did not disappoint. I don't know how their drummer survives a single show, much less a tour. Cloud Catcher sounded great too. They kicked it off with 2 or 3 new songs I'd never heard before. Hopefully a new album is in the works then.

Sleep show was great last night. Al has a new double neck Rickenbacker bass that is ridiculous and super cool. Same design as his signature Rick but with a 5-string neck added. The band was tight and played a solid 90 minute show. Did an abbreviated 15-minute version of Dopesmoker, closed with Dragonaut.

The opener was Superwolves with Matt Sweeney and Bonny Prince Billy. This was utter crap. I have no idea why they're on tour with Sleep.