MacGruber!!

Newsday wrote:Will Forte of 'SNL' to play MacGruber in movie

'MacGruber," the recurring "Saturday Night Live" skit that parodies "MacGyver," is one step closer to going before cameras as a big-screen movie.

Ryan Phillippe is in negotiations to star in the feature, with Val Kilmer in negotiations to join the Relativity Media production. Will Forte and Kristen Wiig are reprising their roles from the skits.

The "MacGruber" sketches starred Forte as MacGruber with Wiig as an assistant who always find themselves, along with that week's guest star, in a control room with a ticking bomb. MacGruber gets sidelined by personal issues, and the bomb goes off.

In the movie, the legendary MacGruber is pulled out of retirement as a monk in Ecuador by a colonel, who needs him once more to fight on behalf of his country.

The film harks back to an earlier era when comedies based on "SNL" skits were commonplace, especially in the wake of the success of 1992's "Wayne's World."
yes!!!!!!!!!! weird, because just a few months ago they were talking about making a macguyver movie (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4459), but this to me is much more exciting. i'd go just for the theme song.

for fun: http://www.hulu.com/search?query=macgruber

Re: MacGruber!!

They wish it'll be another Wayne's World. More likely another It's Pat. When will they learn movies based on SNL skits just don't work. Most of them overstay their welcome as is in the show. Trying to drag it out to 90 minutes is just painful. Even good sketches, like the Coneheads, didn't translate to film.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

from TLI blog:
Jorma will be taking "MacGruber" on the road for a college tour with Will Forte and John Solomon (co-writer). They will be screening the movie and doing some Q and A stuff afterward. Here are those dates:

Monday, April 26th - University of North Carolina
Tuesday, April 27th - Indiana University
Wednesday, April 28th - University of Colorado, Boulder
Thursday, April 29th - University of Arizona
Friday, April 30th - UCLA

For those of you who chose to go to USC instead, it looks like you'll have to wait till May 21st.

I've never seen the Macgruber-skits from SNL, so I sorta went into this with no real expectations. But it turned out to be a pretty funny flick from time to time. Some jokes were forced, and others were not. A nice rental but nothing more.

Collider wrote:MACGRUBER 2 Update: Will Forte Talks Script Progress and Promises, “If Somebody Will Let Us Do It, Then We’ll Do It”

Will Forte is asked about MacGruber 2 whenever he makes the press rounds to promote another movie. Last we checked, Forte said he met with MacGruber director/co-writer Jorma Taccone and they hammered out “a really solid first act.” At a junket for Forte’s new movie Life of Crime, Steve asked Forte straight up if the inquiries about a MacGruber sequel ever get old. Forte responded graciously, saying “it is very exciting because it means that people liked the first MacGruber.”

Forte went on to provide a status update about where he and Taccone are in the script process and reiterated their commitment to making MacGruber 2—if somebody will fund it. We’ll have the full Life of Crime interview up next week, but hit the jump for Forte’s MacGruber 2 update.

Here’s the transcript:
COLLIDER: Does people asking you about a MacGruber sequel ever get old?

WILL FORTE: No, it is very exciting because it means that people liked the first MacGruber. Unless they are saying, “Are you serious about Macgruber?”

“Like” is a weak word. We need to go with the word “loved.”

FORTE: Thank you. I’m very proud of that movie. Jorma [Taccone] just sent an outline for MacGruber 2. We had worked together on something and I had fleshed out the first act of MacGruber 2. He took that and went nuts on the rest of it. I’m very excited because I feel like at some point, if somebody will let us do it, then we’ll do it. But it’s out of our hands. But we’re writing it for sure.
I admire their devotion to this passion project, taking so much time to develop a movie that has no real place in the typical studio market. I trust Forte and Taccone will make calls to the usual financiers and distributors, but I’m starting to wonder if MacGruber 2 will end up in the hands of a nontraditional funding source like Kickstarter.

How much would you chip in to make MacGruber 2 happen?
in honor of this news, here's a macgruber ringtone i made for you: http://g0re.net/bb/macgruber.m4a

I don't remember much about the movie but I do remember thinking it was pretty funny.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

/film wrote:‘MacGruber 2′ Will Have “The Craziest” Opening Sequence

After a weak performance at the box office, a MacGruber sequel appeared out of the question. Once the film hit home video, though, the movie gained a following. It’s been five years since the first film, based on the SNL parody of MacGyver, came out, and a follow-up seems more possible than ever. If and when the sequel is made, at least we can expect a crazy MacGruber 2 opening sequence.

MacGruber‘s star and co-writer, Will Forte, has been interested in making a sequel for a few years now. At this moment, Forte and his co-writer John Solomon (Saturday Night Live) are working on the first draft. Earlier in the year Forte sounded optimistic the project would move forward.

It seems like we have a realistic shot at getting it made. We have a loose outline of the first couple of acts, which we’re really excited about. So we’ve just got to flesh it out a little more. If [The Last Man on Earth] were to ever be successful enough to get a second season, we’d probably have to wait until after that season to make it. If the show isn’t successful enough to do that, we’d probably jump in right away.

So, you can blame The Last Man on Earth‘s success for holding up MacGruber 2. Forte hasn’t discussed any plot details yet, but he did mention to Screen Crush that he and his creative partners have an idea they’re quite proud of. The actor is promising a crazy MacGruber 2 opening sequence.

There is a possibility of starting it in a way that you would never ever start an action movie. We have this idea for a cold open, which we just don’t know if we have the balls to do. And we’ve done some crazy stuff. This is just like, ‘Do we really want to do this? Is this how we want to start out the movie?’ It’s pretty gnarly. But we might just have to do it.

MacGruber was a pretty cheap movie to make compared to most studio films, so it’s unlikely anyone at Universal will get in their way of delivering a ballsy opening. Forte and director Jorma Taccone embraced the weirdness of the first movie, in all the right ways, so if Forte is calling the opening of MacGruber 2 “crazy,” then it must really be crazy.

The plan is for Taccone to direct the sequel. He is currently in post-production on Conner4Real, which he co-directed with fellow Lonely Island member Akiva Schaffer (Hot Rod).

AVclub wrote:Holy shit, a MacGruber TV series with the original cast could actually happen

MacGruber, the SNL sketch-turned-movie, was a notorious flop, raking in only $9.3 million worldwide on a budget of $10 million. In the years since, however, Jorma Taccone’s absurdist comedy has flourished, emerging as one of this century’s most prominent cult films. Now, due either to its enduring word-of-mouth buzz or Taccone’s doggedness, there’s a very real chance it could return as a TV series.

In a new interview with The Daily Beast, Taccone is said to be “aggressively pitching” a MacGruber series to streaming networks. “We just spent the last two days pitching it as a series,” he said. “Eight-to-ten episodes. I’m really hoping that when you print this there’s an announcement that it’s actually happening, because I know nothing right now. This is the first time I’ve mentioned it, so this may be a tragic interview.”

He continued, “We’ve had so many ideas over the years, from the moment we stopped filming. I just love this character so much.”

Sadly, there aren’t any official announcements about the project, but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen. Honestly, it’d be insane if it didn’t, especially after Taccone confirmed that all of the original stars are onboard. And some of those stars—Will Forte and Kristen Wiig, in particular—have a lot more traction in Hollywood now than they did in 2010.

“What’s nice is that, when you make something that had the heartbreak of not doing so well financially…I would feel terrible if the people involved were embarrassed about it, but Ryan [Phillipe] loves that shit, Kristen loves that shit, all the people involved are so psyched,” he said.

Taccone even promises a role for Val Kilmer, who, in his villainous turn as Dieter Von Cunth, died at least three times. “Val was blown up pretty badly, he’ll have half a head,” he said.

If Taccone’s playing this fast and loose, does that mean WWE’s Chris Jericho and Mark Henry will clamber forth from that incinerated van? Let’s order ourselves a large Tazo tea as we wait for the answer.
holy fuck yes please!!!

watched the macgruber film again over the weekend. it really is amazing how much it maps to a classic macgyver episode. it's not constant LOL like airplane, but when it's funny, it's funny. and when it's not, i'm just watching an intentionally bad macgyver episode, so it's win-win for me.

guess i'll wait until the season ends then subscribe for another month to see this. was hoping for a film as i'm not sure how this stretches out to a series, but guess we'll find out.

finally did watch this. it's...fine? tons of "chuckle" moments, very few LOL moments. it's essentially just a sequel to the film that's 4+ hours long instead of 90 min. so if you liked the film, you'll enjoy this. phillipe was criminally under-utilized, that's really the only difference. that being said, fucking awesome to see sam elliott in this, he's his usual awesome self.

edit: just scrolled up to see my review of the film. the review of this series is essentially the exact same lol.