The Batman [2021]

BMD wrote:It’s Officially Official: Robert Pattinson Is Your New Batman
In which Warner Bros. makes a great choice.

A few weeks ago, we learned that Robert Pattinson was up for the titular role in Matt Reeves' forthcoming The Batman. At the time, the news was not yet official, but that did nothing to stop The Discourse: everywhere you turned, someone had an opinion about the possibility of Pattinson playing the Caped Crusader. Only half of these opinions were correct.

Today, we have a new opportunity to engage in the very same debates, as Deadline has just made it official: Robert Pattinson will be the next Batman. Following a week of rumors that had Pattinson going head-to-head with Nicholas Hoult for the role, Warner Bros. has given Pattinson the go-ahead. This is real, it's happening, and we are very, very excited about it.

My guess is that Birth.Movies.Death. readers do not need to be told that Pattinson is a great pick for this role. You've seen Good Time and Cosmopolis and The Rover and/or High Life and you stopped thinking about R-Patz as "the Twilight guy" ages ago. But on the off-chance that you haven't seen those movies and remain unconvinced, do give them a watch. Pattinson's been doing some truly interesting shit with his career over the past decade or so, and has more than acquitted himself as an actor capable of great things when in the right hands (and we fully expect Matt Reeves to mold Pattinson into the troubled weirdo we've always pictured Batman to be).

As previously reported, Matt Reeves' The Batman is expected to be a more detective-centric take on the Dark Knight, with The Penguin and possibly Catwoman in play as the main villains (rumors persist that this'll actually be a Rogue's Gallery affair, with several major Batman villains making an appearance, but Catwoman and Penguin are the names that keep coming to the forefront). So far, everything we've heard about this movie has made us very excited, and we can't wait to see what Reeves does with the mythology. It's 2019, and we are once again very excited for a Batman movie. What a time to be alive.

Stay tuned for more on The Batman as further updates become available. As of this writing, the plan is for the film to go in front of cameras early next year, with an expected arrival in theaters on June 25th, 2021.

Re: The Batman [2021]

Saw this on Saturday and it was quite good. Worth checking out. Very dark take on the world of Gotham. It's bleak. Pattinson was good, I thought. I liked the noir mystery style with some good action bits mixed in. The new Batmobile is sweet.

Finally got to see this last night. I loved it. It was near perfect Dark Knight Detective era Batman. I much prefer film noir Batman to what used to pass for Batman. I watched the ‘89 film immediately after this one and holy shit does that not hold up well compared to the take on Batman we’ve gotten over the last two decades. It’s goofy as fuck - again, comparitively speaking. At the time, I paid to see it in the theater multiple times and was stoked we got a more serious take on Batman, but I didn’t know what was coming. Extremely happy to see this was set up for what should be a fantastic sequel. I hope it happens. It really was a great film and the proper mood for The Bat.

Batman Returns - wow. of course michelle pfeiffer is the highlight of this, and devito really takes this role seriously. but once again, batman just straight-up murders people, just like the first one. and this is way over-sexualized. catwoman gives batman a handjob, makes jokes about him being "semi-hard", etc. it's really fucking insane that this was marketed as a kids film. yes, it's extremely goofy, but it's also very adult. again, at the time, it felt like someone was giving us a more serious batman with these two, but looking back, it was really just re-tooling the original series through burton's lens.

Batman Forever - i don't understand the title. and the first scene is a goofy fucking joke, setting the stage for what will be a ridiculous film. i mean, tommy lee jones must've done a heroic amount of cocaine for this. he's insane. kidman is hot of course, but again, batman continues murdering people while also later in the film lecturing robin about killing. this movie is all over the place and doubles down on the goofy. and once again, hyper-sexualized. we get to see christopher walken utter lines like "unlimited poontang". this from a film that had a huge marketing tie-in with McDonald's happy meal toys. i had to keep telling myself while this was on that this isn't the worst one of this era of the franchise. i can't even being to imagine how bad the next one is. i've seen it once i think? but after this shitpile, had to take a break from shitty batman films.

We showed our kids the Tim Burton Batman about a month ago. I loved it so much when it came out, had the Batmobile poster on my wall. Michael Keaton is still awesome of course, Jack Nicholson was ridiculous and over the top, Kim Basinger was fine, and Robert Wuhl was surprisingly great. But some of other acting was just really bad. That movie did not age well. A few minutes in my wife was confused and thought we had started watching a preview of a TV show or something. "Is this the movie??" Yeah, it was unfortunately.

I still love the Burton Batmans. I'll watch them over any Synder Batman movie any day. I don't mind things being hypersexualized as I'm not a child nor conservative and thus not offended by human sexuality.
Just cut them up like regular chickens