Re: Recent movie/TV playlist

House Hunting - not sure how i missed this when it came out but i had heard good things so checked it out. it's not great, but it's pretty entertaining. a good throw-away horror flick if you ran out of other things to watch.

Val - documentary that uses tons of footage from val kilmer's own stash of behind the scenes tapes to talk about his life, narrated by his son who sounds a lot like him. so sad to see where he is now. poor dude. it's a reminder that he made some great films.

Top Secret! - discovered while watching Val that my wife had never seen this, so immediately watched it. it still holds up. very underrated when put next to Airplane! but a quite effective and hilarious send-up of spy thrillers. and they did the "film the scene backwards" thing extremely well years before Lynch did.

TC wrote:Brooklyn 99 - been watching and enjoying this show from the beginning, but s8e1 was so fucking bad and full of woke bullshit that i don't even want to continue to see this final season. they should have just stopped if this is what they were going to do. sad.
Woke bullshit? B99 has always been "woke" (fucking hate that word), aka been good at reflecting the times. One of the reasons I love the show and is sad to see it go.

_Marcus_ wrote:
TC wrote:Brooklyn 99 - been watching and enjoying this show from the beginning, but s8e1 was so fucking bad and full of woke bullshit that i don't even want to continue to see this final season. they should have just stopped if this is what they were going to do. sad.
Woke bullshit? B99 has always been "woke" (fucking hate that word), aka been good at reflecting the times. One of the reasons I love the show and is sad to see it go.
there's a difference between "reflecting the times" and absolute shoe-horning pandering.

Reminiscence - holy fuck is this a giant pile of shit. It tries really hard to be some kind of updated femme fatale/film noir thing, but the sci-fi in it is so full of holes that it’s distracting from everything else. The film very transparently tries to manipulate you into feeling things it hasn’t remotely earned. Just so bad. Gotta be the worst “hollywood movie” i’ve seen since… well, since that last huge pile of shit angelina jolie film. Like, these are real fucking bad. Jackman quit being wolverine to do this shit and musicals? He needs to fire his advisors. I assume he read this script and said yes though, so that’s on him. Maybe somehow on the page it came across as clever. Or maybe jackman is just dumb so it seemed that way to him. Either way, this is a train wreck. Do not watch.

Brand New Cherry Flavor - holy shit you have to watch this show. It’s fantastic. It’s on Netflix. Have watched the first six, only two left. Very much digging it. I guess it’s based on a novel, but when i look up trying to buy it, apparently even though it came out just 10 years ago, it’s out of print and very difficult to find in physical form. I see people charging $500-$1000 for a paperback lol. So guess i won’t be reading it soon. anyway, the show is essentially about a young filmmaker that made a short that found its way into a big-time producer’s hands, so she goes to LA to meet with him. Things spiral from there. Covering lots of ground from how shitty LA is to witchcraft and the occult to…zombies i guess? I’m really digging it. Very well done so far. We’ll see if it sticks the landing.

TC wrote:Brand New Cherry Flavor - holy shit you have to watch this show. It’s fantastic. It’s on Netflix. Have watched the first six, only two left. Very much digging it. I guess it’s based on a novel, but when i look up trying to buy it, apparently even though it came out just 10 years ago, it’s out of print and very difficult to find in physical form. I see people charging $500-$1000 for a paperback lol. So guess i won’t be reading it soon. anyway, the show is essentially about a young filmmaker that made a short that found its way into a big-time producer’s hands, so she goes to LA to meet with him. Things spiral from there. Covering lots of ground from how shitty LA is to witchcraft and the occult to…zombies i guess? I’m really digging it. Very well done so far. We’ll see if it sticks the landing.
ok so the ending wasn't great, but still recommend the show. it's pretty crazy.

Jakob’s Wife - barbara crampton still has it. Solid flick, even if most of the story is something we’ve all seen before. I feel like any iteration of vampire has been done. Shrug. Still, i did enjoy it as babs is fantastic, and there is a lot of blood and some great kills. Also, tossing Concrete Blonde into the film was a huge plus.

Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed - obviously only one side of the story in this film, but goddamn will it piss you off. I feel so bad for his son. Sure, Bob’s business partners are ruthless sharks, but his own uncle completely fucked him. Should the Kowalski’s do the right thing and give control back to Bob’s son/family? Sure. Yes they invested time and money to create the Bob Ross empire, but at this point I think it’s safe to say they got all that back and then some. I don’t know how they sleep at night, how they live with themselves knowing they essentially forced the Ross family out of everything. You wouldn’t have shit without his talent. They literally took everything, including physical things (paintings, his palette that he used on the show, etc.) from the family. And what they did to the Jenkins’? GTFO. But… like I said, this is a very one-sided doc. Also, business is business. If someone is dumb enough to not read a contract you put in front of them, they probably shouldn’t be running an empire anyway. Still, I believe it’s fully possible to have a very successful business and do the right thing. Clearly, the Kowalski’s do not.

Woodstock 99 - This is worth it just to hear Dave Matthews say titties. But yeah, they definitely were pushing a narrative here that I don't think is 100% genuine. The organizers certainly come off as complete douchebags who were horribly unprepared and want to shift to the blame to anyone but them. Nice to see the doc also manages to blame us goths for some of the ills, I'd hate to be left out. And Moby seemed more upset that his name was missing than over anything that happened. Also ironic for him to complain about the other acts not belonging at a "Woodstock" when he doesn't belong either.
I think the correct take away is if you deprive people of water for days and cover them in shit and piss it's not likely to end well no matter what music is playing.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Re: Recent movie playlist

_Marcus_ wrote:Psycho Goreman - Yeah, you need to see this. It's the sick brainchild of Steve Kostanski, of The Void fame. Although this is much more like his previous stuff aka wonderfully cheesy practical effects, an absolute bonkers plot and some very good gore. Also, it's HILARIOUS.

EDIT: While checking out Kostanskis IMDB page, I saw that he did the special makeup effects on a few episodes of the new Day of The Dead tv-series on SyFy. There's a Day of the Dead tv-series on SyFy??
watched Psycho Goreman over the weekend. it was indeed quite amusing, on several levels. first, very amusing to see how they hit so many of the same beats as Terminator 2. second, very darkly hilarious via the young main actress being a giant bully twat. third, the completely straight delivery of the parents. that said, it started to lose potency in the back third for me and got a little tedious, but was still largely successful. i didn't like it nearly as much as The Editor, which is kind of a masterpiece, but was still great.

Father's Day - no, the Troma one. early effort from the Astron-6 crew. very unpolished, yet still leagues beyond what i used to expect from Troma. you can see the potential of what the Astron-6 team would become here in spurts, but it's not nearly consistent enough to call it great. it's ok at best. some decent gore, as you would expect from Troma, but the production quality is really the downfall. as for the Astron-6 style humor, it's definitely here, but it feels like they didn't have the balls to let the deadpan lines hang there for the extra beat, or to put more of it in there.

Nine Perfect Strangers - wasn't sure where this was going so i haven't posted anything about it until it wrapped, but this was a really interesting show. essentially about a retreat using psychedelics as part of the treatment of various ailments. nicole kidman, michael shannon, bobby canavale, luke evans, regina hall, and melissa mccarthy in a not annoying role. stellar casting, well acted, and the last two episodes really change the pace of the show from "oh wow this is interesting" to "holy fuck, what the hell is happening" very quickly. stuck the landing, for the most part, though. recommended.

TC wrote: 24/09/21, 13:30:57 Nine Perfect Strangers - wasn't sure where this was going so i haven't posted anything about it until it wrapped, but this was a really interesting show. essentially about a retreat using psychedelics as part of the treatment of various ailments. nicole kidman, michael shannon, bobby canavale, luke evans, regina hall, and melissa mccarthy in a not annoying role. stellar casting, well acted, and the last two episodes really change the pace of the show from "oh wow this is interesting" to "holy fuck, what the hell is happening" very quickly. stuck the landing, for the most part, though. recommended.
of course: ‘Nine Perfect Strangers’: Watching a White Show Through a Black Lens

of the three black characters,
the place would literally not exist without one of them, and another one ends up owning the place at the end.
but sure, keep bitching. see what you want to see. and if you strictly want to play a numbers game, 3 of the 13 total characters being black is 23%. according to the last census, the US is still 13.4% black. shame, shame on this show indeed.

Yeah i want to see that.

Relic - forgot to mention we watched this over the weekend. I was on board with it until that ending. I realize it’s supposed to be a metaphor and it’s a very personal commentary on the director’s story, blah blah blah. But it just screams lazy writing. If you’re going to steal two hours from me, at least have the courtesy to write an ending. Reminded me of that Jake Gyllenhaal movie where his wife is a giant spider in the last scene, except that movie was strong enough to have a fucked up non-ending. Relic was not.

TC wrote: 04/10/21, 11:16:46 Midnight Mass - watched the first three episodes so far. might be the first time i remember seeing
a vampire decide to turn a priest.
it's pretty cool so far, looking forward to seeing where this goes.
finished this last night. while it was a little preachy (understandably so, given the plot), the ending was pretty well wrapped up. some stand-out performances in this show, very well done. recommended.

The Thing - watched it again last night. I have bought a handful (four) 4k UHD titles over the last year or so as i knew i was planning on getting a 4k player (PS5) and then a 4k TV. All of that finally came together and we spun the latest 4k edition as the first film on the new system. I had grabbed the zavvi ltd ed box set. I heard that the 4k remaster fucked up some of the audio - like reversing the surrounds, or changing the level of an effect so it’s above the dialog, etc. well, i was very blown away by what i was watching. The visuals are stunning and i didn’t have any issues with the audio. It didn’t look like a film from 1982 that’s for sure. Extremely impressive. And the movie of course is a masterpiece still. Having recently read Snowblind, the MacReady backstory novel, made it additionally fun.

Young Frankenstein - still fantastic. Really an amazing film on several levels. Was kind of a bummer pointing out all the people now dead, but man what a piece of work. Has to be near the top of a list of best comedies pretty universally.

The Thing [2011] - every time i watch this, i get more bummed about it. on paper, it's a great idea - show what happened at the norway camp prior to the events of the 1982 film. and while there are some good ideas here, there are also some holes/writing issues. the thing is, great practical effects could have allowed forgiveness for those shortcomings. instead, the decision was made to use cartoony video game level VFX that have no connection to the environment around them as a follow-up to one of the greatest practical effects performances of all time. so baffling and frustrating.