The Haunting of... [Netflix]

wasn't sure how this was going to turn out, given we've already had several attempts at this material and none more than two hours, let alone ten. but i really enjoyed this. very well cast (yes, even henry "eliott" thomas) and stylistic. it's more about how a family deals with their personal demons and grief than anything else, but also ghosts. the house is beautiful - i guess it's basically an event center a little southwest of atlanta, but at some point someone lived here. it's stunning. kind of cracked me up the whole time to think that someone who probably paid a lot of money to have their wedding there is watching this and the things that happen in this house. anyway, i do recommend it. it's a slow burn, more drama than horror, but if you're in the mood for this, watch it.
Last edited by TC on 01/09/20, 08:57:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: changed subject to be for the "haunting of..." series on netflix in its entirety. was "the haunting of hill house"

Re: The Haunting of Hill House [Netflix]

_Marcus_ wrote:Wow. Just watched episode 6 and man... Haven't been that impressed by the sheer tehcnical achievement of a tv-show in a long time. An hour long show built on four or five REALLY long scenes with no cuts. Just amazing stuff.
yeah there are several posts/interviews about making this episode out there you should check out if you're of a mind. it's pretty great.

Re: The Haunting of... [Netflix]

three episodes into bly manor. it's definitely not like the first season. it is in some ways slower, certainly not as many obvious "ghosts" or personal demons, but i suspect not everything is as it seems. it's still interesting enough to keep watching, don't get me wrong, it's just not really very creepy yet. big-ass house in the countryside with three employees and two kids with issues when the au pair gets there. i'm beyond sick of little kids being a short cut to creepy, but am still watching if that tells you anything. why must every fucking thing involve kids? if you want to see good use of kids in a recent horror film, go watch goodnight mommy or the lodge. or if you like some comedy in your horror, cooties. but enough with the "creepy" english kids.

yeah, it took a hard left very quickly after that. it was as i suspected/expected in pretty much every way. it's engaging and well-acted, but it's a story you've seen many, many times before. the entire construct that bookends the story makes zero sense and is enraging. it's not nearly as enjoyable as the first season. unless you are super invested in the title, i wouldn't bother. there are far more spooky choices for the season.

and now we have this:
She's coming for them all.
In this wicked series from Mike Flanagan (The Haunting of Hill House) and based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe, ruthless siblings Roderick and Madeline Usher have built Fortunato Pharmaceuticals into an empire of wealth, privilege and power. But past secrets come to light when the heirs to the Usher dynasty start dying at the hands of a mysterious woman from their youth.
watching it, i can't really tell if they're combining several of Poe's works into one, or if they just put Poe keywords into ChatGPT and it spat this out. all i can say after seeing this trailer is that it looks like a solid cast. hopefully flanagan nails the landing here, but i'm not overly hopeful.

watched The Fall Of The House Of Usher over the weekend. happy to say it was so fucking good. just extremely well done. very impressed at how flanagan was able to interweave several different Poe stories and references into an overall narrative. i was really quite awed at the writing and craftsmanship here. and the execution was very good. the cast overall were strong, and the leads were very strong. i loved it. might be the best of the three series'. certainly the first one i kind of want to watch again immediately. highly recommend checking it out. it's an impressive feat.