Re: Chuck

The season has been up and down so far, but not too bad. Good to hear we'll get a full season. Considering how poorly NBC's other shows are doing in the ratings, they probably figure they might as well stick with something that has somewhat proven though not stellar ratings.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

so, this happened:
Register-Guard wrote:FOR THIS MAN, BEING CALLED AWESOME IS NO JOKE

Eugene-Springfield, meet Captain Awesome.

Not that the former Douglas Allen Smith Jr. is a newcomer to Lane County.

He was born here in 1983. He graduated from Willamette High School in 2002.

But he officially became Captain Awesome only last month, when a Lane County Circuit Court judge approved his name change petition.

And his new first name is no title, he made clear in a recent interview.

“Hi! I’m Captain,” he said, making this story even more fun to write. Journalists refer to subjects by last name only on second and subsequent references. So, that’s Awesome!

Any reader who — like Awesome — watches the television show “Chuck” will not be surprised to know how he chose his new moniker. It was, indeed, inspired by a character on the NBC action/drama series: Dr. Devon “Captain Awesome” Woodcomb.

“I just thought it was really funny that Devon’s father always called him Captain Awesome because ‘a poor nickname builds good character,’ ” said the local Awesome, an out-of-work cabinet installer.

Awesome said he had to jump through an extra hoop to legally change his name. Most such requests are approved in informal “ex-parte” hearings with Lane County judges. In Awesome’s case, however, the judge who considered his name change in that setting balked at granting it.

That judge — whose name Awesome cannot remember and who is not identified in Awesome’s court records — questioned his seriousness. The judge also advised him to hire an attorney to represent him in a formal oral argument for the change.

But Awesome decided to go it alone. He felt confident after researching name change precedents at the University of Oregon Law School library.

He hadn’t counted on Lane County Circuit Judge Douglas Mitchell hearing his case, however.

“The first thing he said to me was that he thought Douglas was a perfectly honorable first name,” said Awesome (nee Douglas Smith). “I thought, ‘Oh my goodness — I’m screwed.’ ”

But Mitchell simply made him raise his right hand, swear that he wasn’t changing his name for fraudulent reasons, and proclaimed him Captain Awesome.

Mitchell also allowed Awesome to change his official signature to a right-pointing arrow, a smiley face and a left-pointing arrow. The state Department of Motor Vehicles actually accepted the cheerful new signature. But alas, his bank refused to honor it, Awesome said.

“They said it was too easily forgeable,” he explained.
captawesome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I think that's when you take love of a show just a bit too far. I mean, I love Twin Peaks and all, but I never legally changed my name to the man From Another Place. Although that would be kind of cool now that I think of it. Hum, I wonder how hard it is to have your name changed?

so i'm still... three?... episodes behind on this but i've been getting caught up. what i've watched, the last... four? five?.... episodes have been fucking STUPID. so so dumb. what the hell happened to the writers on what used to be a very smart show? i didn't even want to watch the last one i did watch, i had to power through it. for me and this show, that's saying a lot.

but...

i still love yvonne. this is funny as hell:

[video]http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/m ... llscreen=1[/video]

I think the idea they're going for with the current episodes is to show the contrast between Chuck and Vivian. Vivian is what Chuck could have become had he become corrupted by power. But they haven't really done anything with it or followed through that much. And Chuck appears to have gotten stupid lately with his denial of Vivian's obvious nature. My only hope is that this doesn't all end with Vivian suddenly turning around in the end and being redeemed, proving Chuck was right all along. If that happens the writers are officially lazy and show deserves to go.
And don't even get me started all all the wedding nonsense.

It's not officially yet, but apparently there's a 13 episode renewal for next season. Personally I think it's about time they hung it up. This season has only been moderately interesting (though better than season 3) and they should probably hang it up before they run out of ideas and send the show completely in the toilet. Go out while there's still some dignity left.

E! wrote:Since this will be the final season for Chuck, Zachary Levi told us to prepare for some awesome send-off moments, especially between Chuck and Sarah (Yvonne Strahovski). "It'll be our swan song and we all kind of ride off into the sunset together," he says. "It's great; we get closure." Can that closure include little spy babies for Mr. and Mrs. Bartowski?
i really hate that i have to say this, but i'm saying it: thank the gods that they are ending this train wreck of a show. it used to be soooo good. sad. also sad that i will not be seeing yvonne on a weekly basis. hopefully she finds work regularly in more R-rated fare....

TC wrote: hopefully she finds work regularly in more R-rated fare....
This

Once they moved beyond the premise of the everyman nerd finding himself caught up in spyworld the show lost it's major appeal. On one hand, I suppose they could only have the character do that so long without evolving, so I can't fault them too much. But without it it's just another spy show. Seems they're trying to do that with Morgan now, but you can't go home again. They've also been highly under-using Baldwin, who was always on of the best parts of the show.

i hadn't watched any of the season during the year but plowed through the season in a week and a half just to try to get it off my DVR. just finished the finale. sigh. the four episodes before the last hour were good - FINALLY. if they hadn't waited until their fate was sealed, they'd still be on the air. starting with 'chuck vs. bo derek' they were back to what made them great to begin with. the last hour of the finale was really just annoying. a quick wrap-up to give (almost) everyone a happy ending, and the actual chuck & sarah ending was just such a let down. giving sarah the intersect was a cop-out ending when they didn't know where to go. i almost wish the whole season had been garbage so i could just hate them for ruining it two years ago and move on, but they had to prove that they still knew what was right about the show and now i'm just pissed. when it was good, the show was soooo good. when it was bad, it was daytime soap bad. yvonne never stopped being hot, baldwin never stopped being awesome, jeffster never stopped rockin' and chuck never became less than the underdog. casey's daughter was a good addition in this year. moss was a surprisingly good addition.

goddammit. it needed to end but i wish it didn't. i will miss the good times, chuck. i will miss looking at yvonne every week. i will miss casey's stoic humor. even ellie and awesome played their role nicely. it went out with a whimper but proved that a good idea can really go far. i hate putting it to bed, but look forward to a year or so from now revisiting it from the start and falling in love with it all over again.

TC wrote:holy shit, what a great season finale! a couple episodes this season had me thinking, "uh-oh...", but the last couple have certainly made up for those. such a great, fun show.
last week i decided it was time to re-watch Chuck. it had been too long. a few things i completely forgot were immediately apparent:
1) they recast the general after the pilot. i don't remember noticing.
2) yvonne has a major lisp, which i also don't remember noticing. it somehow makes her cuter.

just finished S2 last night and watched S3E1. re-reading this thread and my excitement at the guest star/villian's names (every single one is a great reference to something else) and seeing al powell was hilarious. i was doing the exact same thing this time.

so far, this re-watch has only confirmed that this is one of my favorite shows ever. two jeffster appearances down, several more to come.

i stopped re-reading this thread when S3 started. i don't want to give myself spoilers for shit i forgot or prejudice my opinions of the next three (wow, that seems like a lot) seasons. i'll come back to this topic when i finish a season and see what i thought. should be interesting.

to close the loop on my re-watch, the first part of S3 was fucking terrible. so bad. but once you get past that (read: as soon as they got rid of kristin kreuk), it got back on track to become fantastic again.

recently, in honor of the pandemic, they held a virtual reunion. it was a read-through of s03e09, "Chuck vs. The Beard", which was the first episode post-kreuk and the first episode Levi directed. it was so fun to watch. absolutely no reason these people shouldn't do a season 6 or movie or something to see where chuck & sarah are now.

[youtube][/youtube]