Re: Penny Dreadful

back half of the finale was a little anti-climactic but still enjoyable. seems like they thought they would be canceled with that ending, but apparently they will be back next year. going to be interesting to see where they go from here, but a very successful season in my book.

I just realized I forgot to finish watching the last few episodes of season two. This show is really hit or miss for me. Some weeks I'm really into the episode and some weeks it bores the hell out of me. Or maybe I'm just PMS'ing.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

yeah, i can see that. too many characters & side plots, very easy to not give a fuck about some of them. i don't really care for the frankenstein subplot, wish they would have ended that. the dorian grey subplot is tolerable at times. i understand they go together, i get it, and looks like they will both be featured in S3. regardless, when the rest of the show is good, is soo good so i'm willing to tolerate the stuff i don't care about.

/film wrote:‘Penny Dreadful: City of Angels’ Will Continue the ‘Penny Dreadful’ Saga in 1930s Los Angeles

Penny Dreadful lives! Sort of. A new sequel series, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, will continue the saga in a new setting – 1930s Los Angeles. The original show was a gothic delight, featuring infamous horror characters mingling about in Victorian-era London. Penny Dreadful: City of Angels promises to create “new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop.”

For three glorious, gothic seasons, Showtime’s Penny Dreadful unleashed a brave new world of gods and monsters, featuring vampires, werewolves, witches, and Eva Green smoking cigarettes while wearing beautiful black dresses. It was an old school horror-lover’s delight, but the ratings were never as strong as they could be. The show’s storyline ended rather conclusively, leaving very little room to continue on with the original characters. But Penny Dreadful will now rise from the grave with the sequel series Penny Dreadful: City of Angels.

John Logan, creator, writer and executive producer of the original Penny Dreadful, will continue on in those same roles for this new series. City of Angels is described as a “spiritual descendant” of Penny Dreadful, and “opens in 1938 Los Angeles, a time and place deeply infused with Mexican-American folklore and social tension. Rooted in the conflict between characters connected to the deity Santa Muerte and others allied with the Devil, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will explore an exciting mix of the supernatural and the combustible reality of that period, creating new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop. This chapter is a bold new vision that will employ all new characters and storylines.”

This sounds very cool, but I’m slightly apprehensive. Eva Green was one of the main reasons the original Penny Dreadful was so wonderful, and it’s very unlikely she’s returning in any capacity – unless she’s playing a brand new character. That might happen, but I have my doubts. Still, I’m thrilled that the Penny Dreadful name will continue to live on.

“Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will have a social consciousness and historical awareness that we chose not to explore in the Penny Dreadful London storylines,” John Logan said. “We will now be grappling with specific historical and real world political, religious, social and racial issues. In 1938, Los Angeles was facing some hard questions about its future and its soul. Our characters must do the same. There are no easy answers. There are only powerful questions and arresting moral challenges. As always in the world of Penny Dreadful, there are no heroes or villains in this world, only protagonists and antagonists; complicated and conflicted characters living on the fulcrum of moral choice.”

Production on the new series is set to begin in 2019. In the meantime, if you still haven’t watched Penny Dreadful, I urge you to check it out. The entire series is currently streaming on Netflix.
P18-22353-ADV01_PDCOA_PRreleaseAd_HiRes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ok, we're what, seven episodes into the current season? i think it's safe to say it has zero connection to the previous show. wasn't sure, given how it started out, but i don't think they're closing that loop. i just re-read the above description and "City of Angels will explore an exciting mix of the supernatural and the combustible reality of that period, creating new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop" is a vast overstatement of how big a role anything "supernatural" plays in this series. it's an episodic film noir throwback with nazis tossed in. every great once in a while something "weird" happens but they don't seem very interested in explaining anything or even tying anything to anything remotely occult of supernatural. it's all santa muerte. other than the fact that dormer plays at least four characters, they could have tossed that element entirely and called this literally anything else. that being said, it is an interesting watch and is pretty well-acted. nathan lane as the veteran cop is really fun to watch. magda from there's something about mary is one of his friends, which is amusing. the guy who played the creature from the last series plays a nazi doctor, which is also amusing. shrug. i'm watching, it's just irritating that they even used the name "penny dreadful". unless the final few episodes come heavy with the occult, there's no reason.

nope, it wrapped as a film noir-style tale. they really kind of blew it though.
reveal that sister molly has attempted suicide before, then have her do the same a few minutes later, for example. no build, no suspense, just all wad-blowing this episode.
and while some of the preachiness of the show has been a little heavy at points throughout, they layer it on triple-thick with ham-fists this episode. we get it already. i mean, we get articles like this now, with lines like "Magda (Natalie Dormer), the shape-shifting demon who's been sowing disorder throughout a city on the brink of civil war, turned a peaceful protest against police brutality on people of color into a riot." what? "police brutality"? a few cops took a guy, who (as far as anyone knew) stabbed a cop a gratuitous number of times then dumped him on the steps of the precinct, and murdered him - strung him up "as a message". other than the standard '30's era tough-guy cops and the obligatory sleazeballs, that was the only "police brutality" we saw the entire show. and all these "people of color" (the entire show is about a latino family. the only reason to say it that was is because you have an agenda) do is ride the bus four hours a day to go to work and dance at night. so yes, ham-fisted to say the least. so done.