Re: Stranger Things

finished S3 last night. i was pretty concerned with the first few episodes. again, verrrrry slow. but once it picked up, it was pretty great. a little more "horror" here. huge shout out to "the blob", maybe some "the thing" again, even "the terminator". i saw people saying they were upset with the ending, i don't get that. i thought the ending worked pretty well. lots of good in this season, but man, lots of dumb in this season too. way more dumb than in previous seasons. some of it is due to the fact that they pulled in even more characters. probably doubled the size of the cast of the main storylines. and we got an even younger kid now. you know what makes the "angry black woman" trope worse? her being 10. but, for the most part, pretty enjoyable. the humor was pretty great too.

I really liked this season, more so than the second. It's way darker and the Duffer Bros really went for it in a couple of scenes for sure. It's like they channeled their inner Carpenter/Romero at times, mixed with It and yeah, Terminator. Loved the ending and sort of hate to see that a fourth season is already in the works? Would have been a pretty amazing ending for the show as a whole.

yeah, but
sounds like the get out of hawkins, which was key. and maybe it centers on hopper, as it seems he's still alive somehow, in russia. so, could be just the change of story/scenery they/we need.

Yeah, they sure made a real effort to NOT show Hopper actually dying so I assume he's alive and is the "american" mentioned in the post credits scene. And yeah, they needed out of Hawkins for sure, and the fourth season is already in the works. Just felt that it would have been a very fitting ending IF they had ended it.

okay, so the first "half" of s4 was excellent. way better than recent seasons. it's a massive love letter to D&D and maybe scooby-doo and i am here for it. if you're still watching, things are coming together as far as the origin of all of this, why it happened, how it happened, etc. what's very not clear is how they're going to wrap this up. some extremely violent kills with excellent effects, some nods to - as you said - 80s greats (evil dead, dio, the whole satanic panic thing, etc.). if the previous season felt too focused on the children and side stories, turning you off, give this one a shot. it feels full steam ahead at this point. i quite enjoyed it, surprisingly.

i don't know why i thought s4 was the end. i watched the second "half" and kept looking at the clock, like how the fuck are they wrapping this up? there is one more season, which makes sense. second half wasn't as good as the first half, but there was some really good scenes for sure. was more like the last two seasons of GoT where they were just racing from gatepost to gatepost. and lots of silly shit that didn't make a lot of sense. but it was pretty good. also, mike is just really, really not good in this. like, legit awful. his poor acting stands out so much in comparison to everyone he shares a scene with. his little speech in the van was like he was reading it for the first time with notes that said "on 11". i'll be very happy to see this show end. they set up quite the faceoff for the final season, but who knows. they're going to have to time jump, given the age of these "kids" now.