Board index General Celluløid Output

Joe Bob's Last Drive-In

Film/Celeb/TV/DVD news, reviews & discussion.

Joe Bob's Last Drive-In

Postby TC on 26/05/19, 07:50:52

use code "MOREJOEBOB" to get 20% off annual sub through wednesday.
Last edited by TC on 24/06/19, 06:50:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed subject, was Shudder discount through 5/29
TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Re: Shudder discount through 5/29

Postby darkness on 26/05/19, 13:27:41

The world needs more Joe Bob.
Just cut them up like regular chickens
darkness
Øne øf Us
Øne øf Us

Postby TC on 28/05/19, 06:18:27

darkness wrote:The world needs more Joe Bob.

agreed. his "last drive in" series, and this discount, are why i subbed.
TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Postby TC on 20/06/19, 07:04:29

started down the gauntlet of the most recent season of the last drive-in. my wife had never heard of joe bob, somehow. last weekend, we watched:
C.H.U.D. - i had forgotten how ridiculous this movie was. the cast is crazy, though. joe bob's contempt of it, and them, is the saving grace.

Castle Freak - i hadn't watched this since it first came out. i remembered feeling let down by it. i mean, it's crampton and combs, together again, and it's just meh. well, i wasn't wrong, but it was better this time around with crampton onset with joe bob giving some (very limited) commentary while joe bob is clearly smitten with her (who wouldn't be). was amazing to discover that the girl that played their daughter stopped acting after this. it was her first and last role. they flew her straight from high school over to europe to film this. i'm sure she was so excited. then this happened and she quit entirely.

Q (The Winged Serpent) - i don't remember if i had seen this before or not, but this movie is fucking hilarious. roundtree, carridine, moriarty among the top shelf actors in this. amazing. the effects are just bad, even for the time, but the acting is pretty hilarious and easily the best part. moriarty is so beyond over the top. i noticed shortly into this that, in this film, he IS bill burr. he sounds like him, he delivers like him, he walks like him... it's pretty incredible once you notice it.

Society - hadn't seen this in quite some time. it wasn't as cool as i remembered. it's basically karate kid with titty and crazy effects (at the very end). they blew their budget on the ending orgy scene i guess, as there are no (read: none) horror-ish elements whatsoever until then. and for being "the big payoff", it is really just kind of there for me.

looking forward to the rest!
TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Re: Joe Bob's Last Drive-In

Postby TC on 25/06/19, 06:00:29

Deathgasm - i always avoided this one based on the name. figured it would be another shitty metal parody by outsiders. it isn't. it's really fun, and has or references some actual metal music too (very small part). anyway, it's a fun, funny horror film with a little spinal tap dust on top.

The Changling - i don't think i had ever seen this. by the name, i always assumed it was going to be about some shape shifting shit. it isn't. it's a george c. scott mystery/haunted house procedural. scott chewing up scenery (which is beautiful - shot in vancouver in and around some giant mansions (real and fake)). based on a "true story" - true, in that there was a living guy who told the story. but likely completely fake, as joe bob analyzes. anyway, it was ok. well-written, well-acted, i just don't get why it's a horror film. it's no more a horror film than scobby doo is a horror cartoon. is gothic mystery a genre?

Madman - don't think i had ever seen this "classic" either. felt like i didn't need to follow along while people aped F13. that being said, this is a riot. made by a bunch of staten islanders, it's the first and only film for most of them, including the director. some real guido shit happening here. includes the "greatest" hot tub scene of all time, including an amazing song sung by the actor, "i don't need words". the "madman" is kind of hilarious, and some of the killings are ok. another key song over the end credits, massive ear worm. all in all a very ridiculous movie with some very memorable scenes for all the wrong reasons. definitely work watching.

Wolf Guy - holy shit is this movie bonkers. avoided it because of the title, but now find out it was "based" on a manga of the same name and sonny chiba is in it?? i say "based" because someone bought the rights to the manga and slapped the name on this, but they didn't have the effects budget to do any of the actual wolf stuff, so they just call him wolf, which is kind of hilarious. so much mid-70s chinese psychedelic stuff happening here, during peak sonny chiba years. i'm pretty sure the plot of this film is that anytime sonny gets shot, he has to fuck some chick to cure his bullet wound, which will never be addressed again. seriously - in one sequence, he gets shot in the shoulder, jumps on a motorcycle with some random girl, goes to fuck her, then eats a steak. unless it's on the 15th day of the lunar cycle, after he suckles his wife/mom/lover, when he can absorb machine gun fire and avoid the psychic tiger by staring. definitely watch this one.
TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Postby O-dot on 25/06/19, 07:00:44

Saw Changeling a long time ago, always thought well of it.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.
O-dot
The Lone Gunman
The Lone Gunman

Postby darkness on 26/06/19, 13:25:34

I've got to get around to watching these. Especially since he did The Stuff, which was a childhood bad movie favorite.
Just cut them up like regular chickens
darkness
Øne øf Us
Øne øf Us

Postby TC on 01/07/19, 09:48:29

more joe bob this weekend:
Demon Wind - well this movie was certainly something. really baffling amount of people in this movie. a few of them went on to make many, many softcore skinemax films, but one of them was actually just on Too Old To Die Young. anyway, the possessed's voices are so modulated they are impossible to understand, but i don't think it makes any difference. joe bob was the redeeming quality here.

The House Of The Devil - Ti West film done in 2009 but set in 1983. feels perfectly like 1983. really fantastic ode to the time/genre. and really, a great film with an excellently-delivered foreboding tone. i really enjoyed this one, will watch again. also features tom noonan in yet another great performance.

WolfCop - haha, this was pretty great. the story of how this movie came to be is almost as good as the movie itself. 100% practical effects. was a really fun flick.

Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer - of course i had seen this many moons ago. i remembered it being much more creepy than it was this time around. i still don't understand how this film was banned. so many other films have similar scenes way worse, like a clockwork orange for example. excellent acting performances here for sure.
TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Postby TC on 10/07/19, 09:56:14

with the holiday, only got one in last weekend:
Contamination - ugh is this movie bad. but, joe bob's interjections certainly make it more interesting. pretty crazy story how this even got made.
TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Post a reply

Board index General Celluløid Output