Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

BMD wrote:Leonardo DiCaprio Will Headline Quentin Tarantino’s Manson Movie
Now you have our attention.

Well, the rumors were true: according to Deadline, Leonardo DiCaprio has signed on to star in Quentin Tarantino's as-yet-untitled ninth film, a period piece set against the backdrop of the Manson Family murders in the late '60s. It will be DiCaprio's first major role since winning an Oscar for The Revenant (holy shit, remember The Revenant?), and his second collaboration with Tarantino, following Django Unchained.

At this time, it's unknown who DiCaprio might be playing in the film, but previous rumors suggested that the plot would revolve around a TV actor and his stuntman. Margot Robbie is also heavily-rumored to be playing Sharon Tate in the film (apparently Tarantino's asked her, but it's not been made official), while both Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are said to have been approached for parts (possibly the same part). If nothing else, this movie's gonna be packed to the rafters with awesome actors.

Nothing further to report at this time, but it probably goes without saying that we'll be keeping a very close eye on this one (please, God, can someone at Sony talk Tarantino into giving us a title? Untitled Quentin Tarantino Manson Family Movie That's Not Really About The Manson Family In Fact It's Mostly About The '60s And Hollywood simply does not roll off the tongue), so stay tuned for updates as they roll in.
Last edited by TC on 21/05/19, 10:45:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated to real title

Re: Tarantino IX

ThePlaylist wrote:Brad Pitt Joins Quentin Tarantino’s Next Movie Now Titled ‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’

If there were rumblings that Quentin Tarantino’s next movie with Sony was in trouble due to his Uma Thurman scandal and his indefensible comments about Roman Polanski‘s underage rape victim, made some time ago, but unearthed recently, you can probably put those thoughts to bed. The “Kill Bill” director has just landed another one of the world’s biggest stars for his movie centered in and around the infamous Charles Manson murders. The trades report, via a Sony Pictures statement, that Brad Pitt, rumored to have a role in the movie for some time, has officially signed on. Once untitled the movie is now called, “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.” He’ll star alongside Leonard DiCaprio, also, obviously one of the biggest movie stars on the planet. At this point, it would take a scandal of immense proportions to derail this movie.

Tarantino gave a long statement to Variety about the project. He describes the movie as “a story that takes place in Los Angeles in 1969, at the height of hippy Hollywood.”

Leonardo DiCaprio will play Rick Dalton, former star of a western TV series, while Brad Pitt will be his longtime stunt double, Cliff Booth. Tom Cruise was once in the running for the role Pitt landed.

“I’ve been working on this script for five years, as well as living in Los Angeles County most of my life, including in 1969, when I was 7 years old,” Tarantino said in a statement. “I’m very excited to tell this story of an L.A., and a Hollywood that [doesn’t] exist anymore. And I couldn’t be happier about the dynamic teaming of DiCaprio & Pitt as Rick & Cliff.”

The casting is a reteaming for its leads; Pitt starred in 2009’s “Inglourious Basterds,” and DiCaprio featured in 2012’s “Django Unchained.” Both are Tarantino’s most successful films at the box office by far; the slave Western garnered $425 .3 million worldwide, while the WWII drama scored $321.4 globally.

Tarantino has asked Oscar-nominated “I, Tonya” actress Margot Robbie to play Sharon Tate, who was murdered by Charles Manson’s cult members, but she has still yet to officially sign on. Naturally, give that storyline, Roman Polanski, Tate’s lover at the time will play a significant part in the movie as well, but an actor has yet to be cast.

“Once Upon A Time In Hollywood “will be released worldwide on August 9, 2019, a similar date to Tarantino’s successful, aforementioned “Inglourious Basterds.” It will be the first Weinstein-free Tarantino release.

he's no steve railsback (who vice can't be bothered to call by name, for some reason), but then again, who is?
Vice wrote:Quentin Tarantino Has Finally Cast Manson in 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'
Damon Herriman will play the infamous 1960s cult leader in 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.'

Over the past few months, Quentin Tarantino has amassed an almost unwieldy amount of talent for his upcoming 60s LA epic set amid the Manson murders. He brought on Margot Robbie to play starlet and Manson victim Sharon Tate, and Dakota Fanning as Manson Family member Squeaky Fromme, and got Burt Reynolds to be the old guy who owned the ranch where the Family lived and shot guns and sewed vests made of their own hair. But as the actors piled on, one major role was left uncast—Manson himself.

Now, it looks like the mystery is over, squashing any speculation over whether Tarantino was planning to leave Manson out or play the cult leader himself in another terrible cameo. On Tuesday, the Wrap announced that Tarantino's Manson movie finally cast its Manson: Australian actor Damon Herriman.

Herriman is best known stateside for his supporting role in the FX series Justified, but the guy has built a successful career on Australian TV and Jesse Pinkman once hit him with a bong in an episode of Breaking Bad. At 48, Herriman is nearly a decade and a half older than Manson was at the time of the Tate-LaBianca murders, but the guy does bare a pretty strong resemblance to the cult leader, and Tarantino must really believe he's the man for the role, since apparently every actor in the world is leaping for a spot in the film.

Herriman will star in the film alongside Robbie, Fanning, Reynolds, and—deep breath—Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio and Al Pacino and Kurt Russell and Timothy Olyphant and Tim Roth and Maya Hawke and James Marsden and Luke Perry and even goddamn Lena Dunham, and so, so, so many others.

The guy will now join the long and illustrious list of actors who have played Charles Manson, including Trey Parker, that guy from the 70s TV movie, and that other guy who was in LOST. It's unclear how large a role Manson will play in the film, though. For that, we'll have to wait until Once Upon a Time in Hollywood hits theaters next July.

Article also overlooked Gethin Anthony, aka the late Renly Baratheon, who was Manson on the canceled Duchovny series.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Article also overlooked Gethin Anthony, aka the late Renly Baratheon, who was Manson on the canceled Duchovny series.
ah shit, i didn't know he died. yeah, i tried watching aquarius. had to bail after the 2nd episode i think. it just took some really bizarre liberties i didn't dig.

I meant only Renly died, not the actor, whom I assume is alive and well :D

I soldiered on through all two seasons of Aquarius, mostly because I'm a sucker for Manson-related stories, but it ended up a giant waste of time. As you said, too many liberties, and its attempts to capture every key moment of late-'60s social upheaval were pretty obvious and hamfisted.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Funny, the reports are now out there that Herriman also is going to play Manson on season 2 of Mindhunter.

O-dot wrote:Funny, the reports are now out there that Herriman also is going to play Manson on season 2 of Mindhunter.
haha oh wow that will be an interesting x-over.

and ah yes, RIP renly. not the guy :)

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

man did i love this film. i mean really love it. when nearly the first thing (second only after a line of dialog) in the film was a wilhelm scream, i knew this was going to be QT's love letter to hollywood. i was right. without spoilers, i'll say i was starting to get a little worried at about the 3/4 mark of how he was going to handle the manson family murders, but he handled it beautifully. was so satisfying. i've seen people say it was too long - i don't agree. apparently tim roth was in scenes that were cut - i'd love to see them. i hope he puts out a more complete edition. i just want more pitt and leo. fucking national treasures. seriously. i know i'm not saying anything new here, but man what a duo.

can't wait to see this one again. highly, highly recommended. in the order of the 9 QT films, this has to be in the top 3.

TC wrote:man did i love this film. i mean really love it. when nearly the first thing (second only after a line of dialog) in the film was a wilhelm scream, i knew this was going to be QT's love letter to hollywood. i was right. without spoilers, i'll say i was starting to get a little worried at about the 3/4 mark of how he was going to handle the manson family murders, but he handled it beautifully. was so satisfying. i've seen people say it was too long - i don't agree. apparently tim roth was in scenes that were cut - i'd love to see them. i hope he puts out a more complete edition. i just want more pitt and leo. fucking national treasures. seriously. i know i'm not saying anything new here, but man what a duo.

can't wait to see this one again. highly, highly recommended. in the order of the 9 QT films, this has to be in the top 3.
Agree 100%. Had a blast and hope to catch it again before it leaves theaters. A definite Blu-ray purchase, too.

i hope he puts out a more complete edition.
Nicholas Hammond, who plays the director of the Lancer episode, says we should expect to see a longer cut or a miniseries version someday, like what we just got with Hateful Eight.

Finally saw this over the weekend. I can't say I really liked it that much. A lot of Tarantino self indulgent nostalgia. Meh, I didn't hate it, but I don't really have the hard-on for Hollywood that he has. Probably a single view for me, and definitely my least favorite Tarantino film.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

re-watched this again recently. probably my 10th viewing, maybe more. i somehow love it more every time. such a great film. still anxiously awaiting that longer cut and/or mini-series version we were promised five years ago. i'll welcome it gladly. at this point, as i've said previously, it may be my favorite QT film. certainly top 2. it's so goddamn pitch perfect. there aren't really peaks and valleys in this - the completely tonal consistency throughout makes it feel like a warm hug. so goddamn good. this is something i'll just put on when i don't know what else i want to watch, and i'm happy about it every time. even after reading the novel version. a fantastic achievement. each viewing makes me more bummed we're only going to get one more film from QT. hopefully he moves to the small screen and gives us a 10-hour miniseries format of new things, similar to what Refn's been doing. i'd love to see long-form QT.

It's grown on me a bit since I saw it initially in the theater. I will find myself putting it on now and then. I disagree about the peaks and valleys though, there are places where I feel the film kind of drags. It's not my least favorite Tarantino anymore, it's probably middle of the pack for me now.
Just cut them up like regular chickens