Deadwood

bafflingly, we don't have a deadwood topic here. of course it was a 3-season, fucking fantastic series that ended abruptly with no closure at all. now this:
THR wrote:HBO's 'Deadwood' Movie Inching Closer to Reality
Actor Garret Dillahunt's tweets on Wednesday spurred buzz that a film is on the horizon.

HBO is addressing a Deadwood actor's tweet regarding the possibility of a film version of the series.

On Wednesday, Garret Dillahunt, who played Jack McCall on the Western drama, tweeted: "So uh....I'm hearing credible rumors about a #Deadwood movie. #Everybodypray." He followed that with another tweet in which he mocked the channel for this summer's Entourage movie and said Deadwood fans deserve "some closure."

In a statement released to The Hollywood Reporter, HBO weighed in on the actor's post. "In reference to Garret Dillahunt’s tweet regarding the rumored Deadwood movie, there have only been very preliminary conversations," the statement reads.

The David Milch-created series ran for three seasons, from 2004 to 2006, and starred Timothy Olyphant and Ian McShane.

Turning TV series into films remains trendy as studios look to align themselves with pre-existing properties. THR broke the news this week that Zac Efron is in talks to join Dwayne Johnson in the Baywatch movie, while Community fans have long hoped that rumors of a possible big-screen adaptation would become reality.
while not really "news", sounds like it's at least on someone's radar. assuming now that justified is done, olyphant's schedule is significantly freer.

Re: Deadwood

"Very preliminary conversations." That sounds pretty similar to the president of Showtime this week musing once again about reviving Dexter (ick).

As far as Deadwood, it's been off the air nearly a decade, the actors have all aged and moved on to other things, they'd have to rebuild sets ... and the failure of the Entourage movie and Sex and the City 2 would have to make HBO very reluctant to dust off another moribund property, I'd think.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

true, but the relatively massive success of justified says olyphant can pretty much do whatever he feels like doing at this point, i'd imagine. if he's not quite ready to hang up the cowboy lawman mantle just yet, this would be the ticket.

Justified may have been a critical success but I don't think it went out with Breaking Bad style ratings or anything. Personally not a huge fan of the Western genre and I was bored about three episodes into this and never went back. Tough to understand the characters too IIRC.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

My brother tells me the same thing, he loves it but again, it's kind of got a big strike against it because I don't really give a crap about the Western genre. I did go see McCabe and Mrs. Miller last night but that's primarily because it's one of the most non-Western Westerns ever made, it's Altman, it was at a theater, etc.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

i dunno, it's not really a "western" to me, it's more about the "wild west" of founding a frontier town and the chaos that goes along with it. i'd say it's more of a mob movie set in a western town. why am i trying to sell you on it, lol... like it, don't like it, but i own it and will be running through it again soon.

OK, this looks to be legit: You're getting your Deadwood movie.
In this era of television revivals and remakes, there’s a lot of “ho-hum” and “oh God, why?” going around. But there are a few series out there that people are actually itching to have come back, and HBO just revealed that fans are getting another one. Programming president Michael Lombardo has confirmed that a Deadwood movie is finally coming.

“[Series creator] David [Milch] has our commitment that we are going to do it,” Lombardo told TVLine. “He pitched what he thought generally the storyline would be — and knowing David, that could change. But it’s going to happen.”

Deadwood originally ran for three 12-episode seasons from 2004 to 2006 before getting what many considered the early axe. The show was to be continued as a pair of two-hour long television movies, though those plans never materialized. As recently as last year, series regular Garret Dillahunt was fanning rumors that the show could return. Lombardo has now confirmed those plans, though exactly when they’ll come to fruition isn’t yet clear.

According to Lombardo, Milch is currently in the midsts of working on another project. “But the understanding is that when he is done with that, he will turn his attention to [writing the] script for the Deadwood film,” Lombardo said.

As for whether the original cast — which included Timothy Olyphant, Ian McShane, Molly Parker, W. Earl Brown, John Hawkes, Brad Dourif, and many more — will be able to return considering all their busy schedules, Lombardo is optimistic. “I’m going to leave that in David’s hands. He’s confident he will be able to.” He added, “The cast is unbelievably [tight]. Some casts and creators form a bond that becomes relevant for the rest of their lives. This was a defining moment for a lot of them.”
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/01/s ... ood-movie/

COCKSUCKER!
TVline wrote:Deadwood Revival Script 'Has Been Delivered to HBO,' Says Ian McShane

There’s been some movement on HBO’s long-gestating Deadwood revival, according to Al Swearengen himself.

Series creator David Milch’s “two-hour movie script has been delivered to HBO,” Ian McShane reveals to TVLine exclusively, before adding with a laugh, “If they don’t deliver [a finished product], blame them.”

McShane, who has a starring role in Starz’ American Gods (premiering April 30), says he’s spoken to Milch “about some of” the script. “I’ll be seeing him for lunch [soon],” he continues. “We’d all love to do it… It would be nice to see all of the old gang again.”

This marks a significant step forward from where things stood earlier this year. “I haven’t read [Milch]’s script yet,” HBO’s top programming exec Casey Bloys told TVLine back in January at the Television Critics Association winter press tour. “I know he’s working on it. But I have not seen anything yet.” It was a year earlier that Bloys’ predecessor Michael Lombardo first confirmed to TVLine that a Deadwood reunion project had been commissioned.

The Deadwood progress report comes just weeks after news broke that Milch has quietly been working on a potential third season of True Detective with the anthology drama’s creator Nic Pizzolatto.
still crossing fingers. also, would be happy to see S3 of true detective.

Milch is working with Pizzolatto on that, not sure if you'd heard. Means nothing to me as I never got into Deadwood.

i did when i read the last sentence of that article i posted, heh.

also, i'd repeat what i said to you in august 2015, but you can just scroll up and re-read. you're really missing out.

There's an argument for waiting until this movie is finished before getting stuck in - it's a road to nowhere as it stands, rather like The Borgias (a shame in both cases IMHO).

Vice wrote:The Long-Awaited 'Deadwood' Movie Has a 'Terrific Script'
HBO says there's still a lot to do before it goes into production, though.

Deadwood—HBO's slow-burning western that made profanity an art form—was unceremoniously canceled over a decade ago. In the years since then, rumors have been slowly oozing out about a potential movie based on the beloved series, first in the form of a tweet back in 2015 and then in a real, honest-to-God confirmation from HBO last year.

Now, after months of radio silence, the network has finally confirmed that the Deadwood film is still in the works. On Wednesday, HBO's president of programming, Casey Bloys, told the Television Critics Association that the forthcoming film has a "terrific script," Variety reports.

"The one thing I was concerned about is I wanted a script that would stand on its own, that if you were a Deadwood fan, it would make you happy and if you had never watched Deadwood, you would still enjoy it," Bloys said. "And I'm happy to say [Deadwood creator] David [Milch] totally delivered on that."

Bloys says there's still a lot of "hurdles" to get over before the movie's a done deal, though.

"If we can do it for a budget that makes sense for us and find a director—we're talking to a few folks," he continued, "and we can get the cast together, which is no easy task because everybody is kind of all over the place, we're inclined to do it."

Deadwood—which stayed pretty historically accurate to South Dakota's lawless 1870s gold-mining town—had a pretty big ensemble cast, and many of its members are busy making shows about Californian cannibals or whatever nowadays, so it'll take some work to get everyone in one place. There's still a lot that needs to happen before the script becomes a movie and the movie hits your eyeholes, but it seems things are moving in the right direction, however slowly.

We'll probably get our chance to see Al Swearengen on the big screen. Eventually.

well, a movie, yes, but not big screen:
THR wrote:'Deadwood' Movie Is Finally a Go at HBO
HBO chief Casey Bloys says the long-awaited follow-up to the series will start filming in October.

Tell your god to ready for…more Deadwood.

Twelve years after the series ended its three-season run, HBO has green lighted a movie that will continue the story of the lawless western outpost. HBO chief Casey Bloys made the announcement Wednesday at his TCA session.

Production on the film is set to begin in October, Bloys said, and he's hoping for a premiere in spring 2019 on HBO. Deadwood creator David Milch is writing it, and Daniel Minahan, who helmed four episodes of the series, is attached to direct.

The production is in the process of lining up schedules for castmembers. Bloys demurred when asked for details, saying, "Let's take the green light and celebrate that."

Deadwood ran for three seasons on HBO from 2004 2006, earning eight Emmy wins and a devoted audience. The show ended on what was, to many viewers, an inconclusive note, and talk of — take your pick — a shortened fourth season, miniseries or movies has come up periodically practically since the moment the show ended.

Stories have shifted over the years as to why Deadwood ended after season three; at the time, Milch said he and HBO weren't able to work out a deal for a fourth season, partly because he didn't want to shorten the episode order.

In a 2012 interview, however, Milch said he "absolutely knew" he was writing a series finale with the last episode of season three.

The project has picked up more momentum in the past year. At TCA in July 2017, Bloys told reporters he had read a script from Milch. Then in January, Bloys said he was "optimistic" that production could begin in the fall.

The Deadwood cast was headed by Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Molly Parker, Kim Dickens, John Hawkes, Robin Weigert, W. Earl Brown, Dayton Callie, Paula Malcomson and Brad Dourif. Jim Beaver, whose character was killed in season three, and the late Powers Boothe were also regulars.

i really can't believe it's actually happening:
EW wrote:Deadwood movie exclusive first photos revealed

Rise and shine hoopleheads! EW has the first photos from HBO’s long, long, long-awaited Deadwood movie. Below are shots of Ian McShane reprising his role as Al Swearengen and Timothy Olyphant back as Seth Bullock.

It’s a revelation 12 years in the making, as that’s how long Deadwood fans have waited for something new from the acclaimed Emmy-winning Western drama that was axed after three seasons in 2006 and now, against all odds, is being revived for a feature-length movie with the original cast.

First, here is Swearengen, back at his Gem Theater bar, looking no worse for the ages, giving his deadly dark-eyed stare:
al.jpg
And here’s Bullock on the streets of Deadwood. Bullock has done quite well for himself; he’s now a U.S. Marshal (and sports a dapper grey-ish ‘stash):
bullock.jpg
The rest of the core cast is back on board as well, including Molly Parker (Alma Ellsworth), Paula Malcomson (Trixie), John Hawkes (Sol Star), Anna Gunn (Martha Bullock), Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter), Brad Dourif (Doc Cochran), Robin Weigert (“Calamity” Jane Canary), William Sanderson (E.B. Farnum), Kim Dickens (Joanie Stubbs) and Gerald McRaney (George Hearst). There’s also a new castmember played by Jade Pettyjohn (Destroyer). The script is by series creator David Milch.
and:
EW wrote:Deadwood producer breaks silence: Here's what the movie is about

Deadwood fans, your long wait is almost over. Writer David Milch’s acclaimed HBO Western that was canceled on a cliffhanger more than a decade ago will at last return with a movie in 2019 (and sooner than you think — we’re told a premiere is planned for spring). The entire core cast are back, led by Ian McShane as the ruthless bar owner Al Swearengen and Timothy Olyphant as hard-nosed lawman Seth Bullock. The show’s gritty mining town was painstakingly recreated too. Yet nothing in Deadwood has really stayed the same, and those changes, for better and worse, are what film is about.

Below, Carolyn Strauss, a former HBO executive and an executive producer on the Deadwood movie, gives the secretive production’s first interview.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What tipped the movie into becoming a reality, because this has discussed for years, off and on, and for so long went nowhere…
CAROLYN STRAUSS: The stars aligned. David had an idea for the script and the will to write it and we managed to get all the actors. I wish I could say it was one thing but there had certainly been an appetite for it at [HBO] for a few years. Me being a glass-half-empty person, I thought, “How is it ever going to work?” And it worked!

Is it fair to say that the network’s announcement of Deadwood movies after the show was canceled in 2006, and then those movies not happening, had been subscribers’ biggest recurring gripe? Was there a sense of wanting to right that?
I certainly know it’s the most consistent question from reporters. I guess probably so? There was a feeling of unfinished business, for sure.

What was your first reaction to the script?
It’s like, “Oh wow, I can’t believe I get to read this stuff again.” Every draft kept getting better. It was hard to believe 16 years had passed since we did the pilot and then being able to read these voices again was such a treat.

You managed to get all the actors back together, which is a miracle given its such a big cast. Timothy made it sound like he might have been the toughest to convince. Who was toughest to pin down on your end?
Tim was pretty tough. I will say he really dug in — in a good way, not a stubborn way — with good thoughts on where to take his character and the story and kept pushing on that, and they were helpful thoughts in terms of getting the script where it needed to be.

The movie is set in 1889 as the town prepares to celebrate South Dakota joining the Union as the 40th state. What’s the film about, basically?
If you ask David, it’s about the passage of time. The toll of time on people. It’s mellowed some people and hardened others. And it’s about the town’s maturing and becoming part of the Union and what that event sets in motion, in a very personal way for the people that it brings in town and what ensues. The toll of time has not just struck Deadwood and the characters but all the people making it as well, you get to see the faces of people 12 years later. And it was really profound. Actors were crying at the table read — not necessarily from the script but the emotion of being back and doing something we all loved doing so much. You normally have a great experience and then it’s over. You don’t normally get the chance to do this in life. It was kind of a gift.

Al Swearengen was of the driver of much of the action in the series, can you give us a sense of what he’s up to?
The time has taken its greatest toll on Swearengen. He’s the person who really drove so much of the life of the town and there’s a sense of that power waning somewhat, and what ensues of that is a big part of the story.

I think one character people were surprised to see back was George Hearst (Gerald McRaney) because he was only introduced in season 3, yet obviously was the major antagonist that year.
What’s true with Hearst is he left a lot of havoc in his wake, and a lot of upset. There was a desire to resolve a lot of that. Plus, as portrayed by Gerald McRaney, he’s a fascinating character, and we all relished the opportunity to see him again.

The movie was filmed on the Westworld sets — or, more accurately, Westworld is filmed on the Deadwood sets. How tough was it recreating the town after all these years?
It was a lot of work. I have to hand it to Maria Caso, who was the production designer. She did a great job originally but then she came into re-creating the town 10 years later and the thought and detail that went into it. There are stone buildings now because there had been a fire, which really happened in Deadwood.

Can the movie be watched on its own? Or is knowledge of the series pretty essential to keeping up with the story?
I suppose you could [watch the movie without seeing the series] but it would be a much-enhanced experience if you brought your knowledge of the series to it. There are old scores, old relationships — lots of things in the film that really pick up where we left off.

And the movie is looking like it’s about two hours?
I think so.

What if the Deadwood movie is a huge hit from HBO? Is this really the end of the show this time?
Well, I guess, it ain’t over ‘till it’s over. Who knows? We assumed it was over before.

You’re also a producer on Game of Thrones, which is also returning this spring. Have you seen any finished cuts yet? How does the final season look?
The new season is looking fantastic. It’s really kind of staggering in its accomplishment — and we still have a lot of work to do on those as well.

Fans are feeling a bit teased to death with promotional videos that don’t have new footage. Can you give them a rough idea of when a full trailer will drop?
I gotta believe something is going to come out before too long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hell yes! Badass. I had a huge grin for the entire trailer.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

fucking loved it. really could have used 5 more hours or so. should have been a mini-series. still lots of storylines they just didn't have time for, i assume. but, what WAS there, was fantastic. 5/5. 100%.