Billions [Showtime]

baffled, as i thought there was already a thread on this show. first two seasons were great, and first two episodes of S3 are also great. i was kind of expecting a big drop off this year but so far they are still killing it. fantastic cast, stellar writing, deep drama. recommended.

Re: Billions [Showtime]

Watched the pilot, never came back. I think we're close to being over all the serialized dramas, there's just too many anymore.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

That's cool. I do like the leads, but I'll be honest, I probably won't carve out the time at this point. Wife and I have been recommitting to *gulp* reading again in the evenings so we're watching less tv these days.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

three episodes into this season. i wasn't sure where they were going to go after the end of last season, but i'm really loving it. i still can't really pin down why, since i have zero reference to the core material, but it is extremely compelling, well-written, and well-acted. also, reference king. so far this season, motorhead, ac/dc, boogie nights, bauhaus, tons more. it's great.

for anyone still not watching this show, you're fucking up. the underlying current to the current season seems to be "art". given that, there are at least two david lynch original paintings in the Axe Capital offices. it's really great to see. don't know how that happened but i'd love to know the story.

Well, the show just stopped in the middle of last season when COVID hit. It picked back up a couple months ago with the final five episodes of the season, which i just finished last night. Took a minute to get back into the rhythm of the dialog and writing but man is this show good. The Lynch paintings remained, but given the ending, i’m guessing the office will be remodeled before next season starts, which is apparently in january. I will say there were a couple things that were just really, really convenient in the back half, and a couple shifts in tone of character that seemed out of place, but for the most part, i think the show recovered from the extra long hiatus ok. Next season should be really interesting.

well, got caught up on the current "season" last night. the writing and tone has shifted wildly. for example, chuck's "war" for the first two episodes of the season focused on his rich neighbor on the farm who fired cannons and then the doorman's union in NYC. like, really? this is what he's doing now? and as predicted, the office remodel happened - no more lynch paintings on set. bummer. i enjoyed seeing them frequently. the entire dynamic of the show has changed, which i guess happens when your main antagonist is no longer present. left wide open if damian chooses to come back i guess. but man is he missed. i'm having a very hard time getting as into this season. i should say, i'm into it, i'm watching it, i just have a hard time caring about any of it. the previous depth of the show and more importantly character just doesn't seem to be here. it feels like they wedged a main storyline into it and are going through the motions. i haven't looked, but it feels like an entirely different writing staff.

also, i swear the rhodes' have children. where the fuck are they? dad fucks off to a farm upstate, and mom is shown to be working at all hours of the day and night. no one ever mentions their children. and now chuck's dad has moved in with him, also abandoning his child. it's wild how writers think people will just forget that you made the children a part of the show for multiple seasons and now they seemingly don't exist. how fucking dumb do you think we are?

current on this season, don't know how many episodes are left - maybe two? i don't know. but goddamn is this season goofy as fuck. it's ridiculous. such a massive change from the first five seasons, which were fucking fantastic. bums me out how this show has changed. it's not remotely close to the level of quality. again i know massive cast and through-line changes, but whatever else has happened to this show should be documented as exactly how not to do it.

well this season finally wrapped. very bizarre, once again. seems like maybe things will happen next season, based on that finale. shrug. i still don't understand this type of behavior from a state AG against a guy that hasn't done anything observably illegal. at least Axe did things that walked the line or were quasi-legal at best, so there was some reason for investigating. this year the reason is that chuck hates rich people, other than himself and his father who are objectively extremely wealthy. it's ridiculous.

seems like i'm the only one here who watched this show. or, probably more accurately, the only one here. anyway, the series finale landed friday night, so we finished the season. i'd say this season is back to being very strong. yes, there are some shortcuts with regard to timeline and the reality of legal process, etc. - and probably finance stuff, but that's all greek to me anyway - but the drama of the show is so well-crafted that you don't focus on those things. this feels like, from a construct and writing standpoint, it's back to Shakespearean-level execution. very wordy but piercing. absolutely validates the return of Axe, who we've gravely missed. (speaking of which - his first appearance back on US soil being scored by Slayer's "Angel Of Death" was pitch perfect). while he's been missed for a couple seasons, i think in the big picture, it was necessary to make this payoff that much more meaningful. almost all of the key cast members from the course of the series are called back to make a farewell appearance, and they all feel natural, not forced. the one that that i kept calling out is the fact that bobby has an ex-wife (Malin Ackerman, who i definitely miss) and kids, all of whom we haven't seen or heard mentioned in many seasons. it's ridiculous. so while they did bring the Rhoades children around a few times so we remember they exist this season, i guess we're all just supposed to forget that bobby left a family a few years ago. outside of that, i'd say this wrapped up quite nicely. i think it will go down as one of the great high drama shows. sure, there were some low points (like s5, mentioned above), but the awkwardness of last season do now seem kind of necessary to create the payoff this season.

if you didn't watch the show, it's now complete and you should go back & give it a shot. some great writing and performances here.