Re: True Detective

Yeah, I suspect you're right although I probably won't get to it for a while as I'm re-watching LOST with the kids. Can't believe nobody else on this forum was a fan. It's extremely fun to watch when you know what's coming.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

haha. i doubt anyone would describe TD2 as "an extremely fun watch". lost, i watched the first couple then lost TV so was way too far behind when i was in a position to watch it again so i said fuck it. haven't gotten to it as there are too many other great shows and i know everyone was pissed at the ending anyway :)

I watched Lost on dvd for about the first two seasons, but even by season two I was losing interest. I own season three and still have never gotten around to watching it.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Well the first three seasons are hamstrung primarily by the network-required 22 episode runs, all three had definite moments of padding but I will say Season 3 is when things get really interesting, and now as we're watching Season 4 (which was only 14 episodes, Cuse and Lindeloff helped pave the way towards shorter seasons when they negotiated a deal to do the final 3 seasons) it's just dynamite. But there's some work early on for sure. I suspect I'm going to be a lot more charitable than some on the final season, it didn't piss me off the way it did others and by doing a re-watch it feels more and more organic to what the show was about.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

A third season of True Detective has begun casting and writing. “I have read five scripts for a third season and I think they’re terrific,” Bloys said. “We have a deal with Mahershala Ali to play the lead. We’re talking to directors. When we find a director we want to hire, we’ll be a go for that.”

/film wrote:‘True Detective’ Season 3 Gets the Green Light, Grabs ‘Green Room’ Director Jeremy Saulnier

HBO is officially moving forward with True Detective season 3, which will star Mahershala Ali (Moonlight). Here’s what makes this announcement especially sweet: Ali will be directed by Jeremy Saulnier, the filmmaker behind Green Room and Blue Ruin. Saulnier and the show’s creator, Nic Pizzolatto, will direct the third season – which will unfold in three different time periods.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, showrunner Nic Pizzolatto wrote every episode of season 3, except for one he co-wrote with the creator of Deadwood and NYPD Blue, David Milch. Both seasons of True Detective were eight episode episodes long, but the exact episode count for season 3 is currently unknown. We do know Milch co-wrote the fourth episode in the next season, though. Back in March, the news came out that Milch was working with Pizzolatto on the series, but to what extent wasn’t clear.

Season 3 of True Detective is set in the Ozarks, where a horrible crime and mystery spanning decades is under investigation. As previously mentioned, the story covers three separate time periods. Ali is playing one of the leads, Wayne Hays, who’s a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas. Right now, he’s the only actor we know of attached to the HBO project.

Pizzolatto hasn’t directed in the past. How many episodes he and Saulnier will direct hasn’t been revealed yet. Following the announcement of season 3, Pizzolatto had this to say:

I’m tremendously thrilled to be working with artists at the level of Mahershala and Jeremy. I hope the material can do justice to their talents, and we’re all very excited to tell this story.

Something important to remember about season 2 of True Detective, which had more than a few critics, is that it was rushed into production. Pizzolatto didn’t have nearly the same amount of time to write season 2 as he did with season 1. According to HBO programming president Casey Bloys, the showrunner has written a season that may live up to the high bar set by season 1:

Nic has written truly remarkable scripts. With his ambitious vision and Mahershala Ali and Jeremy Saulnier aboard, we are excited to embark on the next installment of True Detective.

I’d be surprised if even the harshest fans of True Detective season 2 can’t see the bright glimmer of hope for season 3 with Saulnier’s hiring. After Blue Ruin and Green Room, it’s fair to say he’s one of the most exciting and promising directors working today. He has an eye for brutal, unflinching violence, an undeniable knack for creating and sustaining almost unbearable tension, and he gets pretty great performances, too, which are all things we expect from True Detective. Season 2 – which was pretty good, in my book – made some people doubt whether this series has legs, but I don’t think a season as high in quality as season 1 should ever be written off as a fluke. How often is a fluke that great? Some of the talent behind season 1 – Woody Harrelson, Matthew McConaughey, and director Cary Joji Fukunaga – remain involved as producers on season 3. In addition to directing, Saulnier will executive produce the next season as well.

True Detective season 3’s premiere date is TBD.

NW Arkansas Gazette wrote:'True Detective' creator, star offer preview as HBO series films third season in Arkansas

The Arkansas landscape will be a character in the third season of the HBO television drama True Detective.

Writer/director Nic Pizzolatto said the landscape of the Ozark Mountains "embodies certain journeys" that the show's characters take.

"The mystery of the deep woods. The fog over the mountains. The rivers. The water. The sense of scale when you get out to some of this nature. Also, what the buildings say about the lives behind them," Pizzolato said. "So I feel like people will see it as an extension of character, something that embodies characters' emotional journeys while influencing those journeys."

A "media day" was held Monday afternoon for True Detective at Tugboat's Place, a restaurant 10 miles north of Huntsville. The crew was filming nearby.

"The third installment of the drama series tells the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods," according to the media day announcement from the Arkansas Economic Development Commission.

Lead actor Mahershala Ali took questions from reporters for about 14 minutes. Then Pizzolatto and executive producer Scott Stephens did the same.

Pizzolatto, who attended graduate school at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, said the film crew found locations in Northwest Arkansas that were hauntingly similar to what he had imagined.

"Sometimes we found things that seem to come straight out of the imagination, like this particular house that I don't want to go into it too much because of spoilers, but once we found it we couldn't believe it existed," he said. "It was almost exactly what I had written, and it needed to be very specific."

Things like that keep happening, Pizzolatto said.

"Like these providential synchronicities that sort of elevate what we're doing and give us something better than if we had to go in and build it ourselves, which we do, too," he said.

"Everywhere you point the camera here is treasure," Pizzolatto said.

Ali, who portrays an Arkansas State Police detective, said it wouldn't have been right to film it anywhere else because the story is set in the Ozarks.

"It would have been a disservice to the story not to shoot in the Ozarks, in Fayetteville, in Arkansas, because it's such a character in the story," he said.

Ali said he received a warm welcome when he arrived in Fayetteville.

"I remember getting out of my car after being dropped off from the airport, and I was walking to go get some food," he said. "This woman was walking her dog, a few houses down from mine, a good distance from me, and she yells out to me ... 'Welcome to Fayetteville. We're glad you're here.'"

Ali said he's spent some time walking around Fayetteville taking in "the vibe of the area."

"My character would not move or operate the same way if he was in New York," Ali said. "I've given myself permission to go slower even if they want me to speed up a bit. You end up essentially aligning yourself with the frequency of the pace. And that's how something will resonate as being truthful or not."

Ali said he had wanted to take on more challenging roles.

"I've had the honor and good fortune of contributing to a lot of shows in theater and in television," he said. "But I would go home at night wanting to experience more, a more fulfilling experience. I was very grateful for my opportunity, but I remember thinking, 'I really want to be exhausted. I want to be tired from a good day's work, you know. I want to get my hands dirty.'

"That has happened," he said. "I've been exhausted. I've got that. Check that box."

Brandi Hinkle, a spokesman for the Arkansas Economic Development Commission, said True Detective started filming in Arkansas in February and filming will be complete next week.
having spent some time there over the last couple years, i don't disagree. should be great.

three episodes in and i'm really liking this season. took a couple to get used to the style of mumbling. had to put captions on in a couple spots. but either he's talking better now or i'm used to it. there are kind of two different story lines, now three, happening at once, and it's really pretty interesting trying to piece the puzzle together as you see clues across all timelines. this is a great approach to storytelling for this show. i really hope they stick the landing. but so far, everyone on this show is acting their asses off. it's really good.

wow, the first half of episode 4 was 100% twin peaks beats. it was so great. i was thoroughly enjoying it. nick should direct all the episodes. back half was great too of course, but more in the true detective style, kind of abandoned the TP style after their dinner. but man if you haven't been watching, you will love ep 4 when you get there.

watched the finale last night.
welp, yet another bait-and-switch from this show. getting to be this guy's thing, like m. night's dumb, contrived "twist" endings. the idea of a cover up at very high levels teased throughout the run, but nope, just a crazy rich person with money buying a kid. psych! i did appreciate the tag of him actually finding her but not knowing it. that was a tragic way to end it. and then for some reason he is back in vietnam going into the jungle? didn't get that. but yeah, this show is certainly back to s1 levels of bait & switch. fucking bullshit.

darkness wrote:I guess I better watch this now that it's over. I'm so far behind on tv I haven't even made it though half of Daredevil.
You and me both. Haven't finished Boardwalk Empire, Better Call Saul, The Punisher...
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:You and me both. Haven't finished Boardwalk Empire, Better Call Saul, The Punisher...
Yeah, haven't watched any of the last season of Punisher or the last season of Better Call Saul yet either.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

/film wrote:True Detective Season 4 Is In The Works With Barry Jenkins And Issa Lopez

Nic Pizzolatto's crime drama anthology series for HBO may be coming back for a fourth season, but Pizzolatto won't be returning this time around. According to a report from The Hollywood Reporter, HBO has brought Issa López ("Tigers Are Not Afraid," "La Boda de Valentina") on board to take over script duties for the show's next season, tentatively titled "True Detective: Night Country." As if the word of Issa López coming onto the scene wasn't exciting enough, the latest anthology installment is set to be executive produced by Academy Award-winner Barry Jenkins ("Moonlight," "If Beale Street Could Talk"). While the season isn't 100% confirmed to be moving forward, if it does, López will also direct the pilot and executive produce the season.

While Pizzolatto will likely not be involved with the new season, he is expected to still be credited as an executive producer. THR reports that Pizzolatto met with HBO executives following the end of the third season and "all parties agreed that it was time to part ways." Although Pizzolatto had an overall deal with the premium cable network, HBO owns the rights to "True Detective."

THR reached out to HBO who declined to comment as "deals have not yet been formalized." The network has been talking about grabbing new writers for the fourth season for over a year now, and the pairing of López and Jenkins sounds as magical as the first season's casting of Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. The latter two are expected to return as executive producers as they had previously been on all three seasons of the Emmy-winning show. Speaking previously with Deadline, HBO and HBO Max's chief content officer Casey Bloys revealed that the network is working with writers on a potential "True Detective" season 4:

"It's safe to say we're working with a couple of writers to find the right tone and take. It's definitely an area that could be very interesting and I think it would be interesting with a new voice. Quality is what's going to guide us so if we end up with scripts that we don't feel are representative or are not at a high enough quality, we're not going to do something just to do it."

Jenkins recently moved his overall deal to HBO after a few years with Amazon and will executive produce via his Pastel banner with the company's Adele Romanski and Mark Ceryak also on board as EPs, and Anonymous Content will once again produce.

If there's any justice in the world, HBO will push full steam ahead on whatever López and Jenkins bring to their table, because this combination of talent is truly unbeatable.