Board index General Celluløid Output

Color Out Of Space!!!

Film/Celeb/TV/DVD news, reviews & discussion.

Color Out Of Space!!!

Postby TC on 25/09/15, 12:06:45

not my favorite lovecraft, but fuck yes!!
EW wrote:Hardware director Richard Stanley to adapt H.P. Lovecraft story

Indie-horror company SpectreVision has confirmed that it will produce Richard Stanley’s new film, Color Out of Space, his first movie since 1992’s Dust Devil. The film is an adaptation of famed “weird” author H.P. Lovecraft’s short story, “The Colour Out of Space,” about a meteorite that drives people insane. Stanley will direct and pen the screenplay for the project, which he has been working on for several years. “There needs to be a scary Lovecraft movie,” Stanley said last year. “I want to make a bad trip film and ‘The Colour…’ definitely has what it takes to be a very, very bad trip indeed.”

“H.P. Lovecraft is the undisputed father of literary horror, and yet, bafflingly, there has yet to be a cinematic treatment that captures the dark beauty of the man’s oeuvre,” said SpectreVision cofounder Daniel Noah, in a statement. “Richard Stanley’s note perfect adaptation of Color Out of Space represents an epiphany for me — as it no doubt will be for legions of Lovecraft devotees around the world.”

Casting is currently underway on Color Out of Space and the plan is for the project to start shooting in early 2016.

Stanley made a splash with his 1990 killer-droid debut, Hardware, but, after Dust Devil, was fired from 1996’s The Island of Dr. Moreau, only to return to the set disguised as one of the production’s man-animal extras. While Stanley has directed documentaries and short films since that disastrous chapter (which was recently detailed in David Gregory’s documentary, Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley’s Island of Dr, Moreau), he has not been able to get another feature off the ground — until now.

Despite his slim body of work, Stanley is revered by many younger genre filmmakers. “He’s really an artist,” Hostel director Eli Roth recently told EW. “I would love to see Richard come out with another narrative feature. “He’s just a fabulous, fabulous creator.”

SpectreVision was founded in 2010 by Noah, director Josh C. Waller, and actor Elijah Wood. Its previous productions include the vampire film A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, this summer’s making-of-a-serial-killer drama The Boy, and the currently-in-cinemas horror-comedy Cooties. The three SpectreVision founders will today deliver the keynote address at Fantastic Market, the genre market of Fantastic Fest in Austin, Tex.
TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Re: Color Out Of Space!!!

Postby TC on 23/01/19, 15:48:31

now they added the "u" in the title, and oh yeah - nic cage!!

BMD wrote:Richard Stanley Is Directing Nicolas Cage In An H.P. Lovecraft Adaptation
The only appropriate response here is HOLY SHIT.

The last time the good folks over at SpectreVision teamed up with Nicolas Cage, we ended up with Panos Cosmatos' Mandy, a mind-melting, psychedelic horror-thriller.

So, when you hear that SpectreVision and Cage are keeping their little love fest going, it's exciting. When you hear they're making an H.P. Lovecraft adaptation together, it's even better. But when you hear they've hired Richard fucking Stanley to direct said adaptation? Good lord. The Birth.Movies.Death. crew is currently swinging from the rafters, screaming obscenities and shooting Roman candles at one another in celebration.

Here's the news: Cage will star in Stanley's The Colour Out of Space, based on the H.P. Lovecraft short story of the same name. Lovecraft's original tale revolves around a man investigating a supposedly cursed area outside Arkham, MA, where a fallen meteor has turned a stretch of the landscape into a bizarro wasteland where plants grow abnormally large, animals become freakish, dangerous mutants and people go insane. Stanley wrote the adaptation, which will apparently tweak the source material in a few relatively minor ways.

Richard Stanley, of course, is the absolute madman behind Hardware, Dust Devil and ... well, in 1996 he came very close to directing The Island of Dr. Moreau for New Line Cinema, but was unceremoniously removed from the production just days into filming when pretty much everything you can imagine going wrong on a film set, went wrong (that whole escapade, only some of which actually seems to have been Stanley's fault, is chronicled in the 2014 documentary Lost Soul, and I strongly advise every one of you to seek it out; it is bananas).

Needless to say, pairing Stanley and Cage with H.P. Lovecraft is sure to yield interesting results. Stanley's clearly been itching to get back in the game for some time, and this material is right up his alley (just imagine what he'll do with those oversized, mutated animals). Cage, meanwhile, is coming off the one-two-three punch of Mom and Dad, Mandy and the absolutely insane Between Worlds; our man is in the zone like he hasn't been in years!

Needless to say, we cannot wait to see how this one turns out, and will be keeping our ears very close to the ground for further updates. Stay tuned.

somehow i missed "between worlds". anyone see that?
TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Postby klimov on 23/01/19, 23:07:31

Good to see that Richard has another picture on the way.

Between Worlds contains a solid Cage performance yet is also an amateur hour trainwreck, makes my Bottom 10 of 2018.
klimov
Øne øf Us
Øne øf Us

Postby Alexhead on 25/01/19, 16:59:09

Good news on all counts I'd say. Never heard of that other one, only seen Mom and Dad and Mandy this year for Cage.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."
Alexhead
Rat Strapped to a Cat
Rat Strapped to a Cat

Postby TC on 06/11/19, 16:01:55

holy fuck, look at this:

TC
Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib

Postby _Marcus_ on 07/11/19, 04:01:11

YEEEEAASSSS
_Marcus_
Øne øf Us
Øne øf Us

Postby O-dot on 08/11/19, 23:13:12

"and Tommy Chong" :-P
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.
O-dot
The Lone Gunman
The Lone Gunman

Post a reply

Board index General Celluløid Output