Re: [split] overflow from reviews:The Big Lebowski

Vice wrote:Everything We Now Know About 'Big Lebowski' Spinoff 'The Jesus Rolls'
Every new detail makes it sound stranger and stranger.

John Turturro's bizarre, long-gestating film about Turturro's bowling ball–licking character in The Big Lebowski is finally headed to theaters. This week, Screen Media announced that it had picked up the rights to Turturro's film—originally called Going Places—and will be releasing it in early 2020 with a brand-new title: The Jesus Rolls, Deadline reports.

Rumors about Turturro's kind-of-sort-of-spinoff to The Big Lebowski have been flying for years. He supposedly shot the thing back in 2016, but since then, news about the project has been scarce—and the new details just make the thing sound stranger and stranger.

First of all, this isn't officially another Lebowski movie, and the Coen Brothers have no official part in it, though Turturro says they gave him their blessing to reprise his role of Jesus Quintana. The Jesus Rolls, though, is supposedly going to be "much more sexual" than the original Lebowski, and is based on the 1970s French erotic road trip movie, Going Places.

According to the film's official synopsis, the movie "follows a trio of misfits whose irreverent, sexually charged dynamic evolves into a surprising love story. But when they make enemies with a gun-toting hairdresser, their journey becomes one of constant escape from the law." There's also a plot point about how Quintana was framed as a pedophile, apparently. Oh, and Pete Davidson is in it. So, yeah.

"It feels like a good time to release a transgressive film about the stupidity of men who try and fail and try better to understand and penetrate the mystery of women," Turturro said in a statement Monday. "I look forward to working with Screen Media and bring our work and the character of the Jesus to American audiences."

So, there you have it, everybody. That Big Lebowski sequel is never going to actually happen, so be thankful that we're getting anything at all. Does The Jesus Rolls sound completely weird? Sure. Could it be awful? Potentially. But, who knows! That's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

NME wrote:‘The Big Lebowski’ spin-off ‘Jesus Rolls’ confirms release date – get a first look
Jesus Quintana is fresh out of prison and ready for another adventure

A release date has been confirmed for the Big Lebowski spin-off Jesus Rolls.

The new film sees John Turturro reprise his role as Jesus Quintana from the 1998 classic, joined by Petey (Bobby Cannavale) and Marie (Audrey Tautou) in a trio of misfits.

As well as reprising his role, Turturro has also directed the movie from a script he penned himself.

The synopsis for the film, which will come to select cinemas on March 20 and be available on demand three days later, reads: “Fresh out of prison, smooth-talking petty thief Jesus Quintana is ready to roll with his best friend Petey (Bobby Cannavale) riding shotgun. Picking up free-spirited hairdresser Marie (Audrey Tautou) along the way, the three embark on an epic petty crime spree across the rural backroads of New York.

“Taking in the idyllic landscapes from the window of a stolen muscle car, the trio spend their days occupied with free love and the pursuit of happiness, and doing whatever it takes to get it…”

Turturro recently described the film in an interview as “a bit of a racy movie”.

“It shows how stupid men are. That’s what the movie is kinda about – the women are the stronger, more together characters. I had to tweak it a little bit but now I feel really good about it. It’s basically an exploration of Jesus getting out of jail. It’s a comedy, but a very human comedy.”

Turturro also explained that he made the film with the full blessing of the Coen brothers, who helmed the 1998 film.

“They’re my friends, close friends, and were supportive when I said I wanna explore this character more,” he explained. “They said, ‘You gotta do it cause we’re not doing it!’ If I have something to show, I show it to them if they’re around.”

apparently been in the can three years...
DH wrote:Teaser: Lebowski Spin-Off “The Jesus Rolls”

Five years since it was first announced and over three years since it was shot, John Turturro’s “The Big Lebowski” spin-off “The Jesus Rolls” is finally on its way to cinemas and has released its first trailer.

Turturro reprises his iconic role of bowler Jesus Quintana in the film which is also something of a remake of Bertrand Blier’s 1974 movie “Going Places”. The story follows a trio of misfits whose irreverent, sexually charged dynamic evolves into a surprising love story as their spontaneous and flippant attitude towards the past or future backfires time and again, even as they inadvertently perform good deeds.

When they make enemies with a gun-toting hairdresser, their journey becomes one of constant escape from the law, from society and from the hairdresser, all while the bonds of their outsider family strengthen. Bobby Cannavale, Audrey Tautou, Jon Hamm, Christopher Walken, Susan Sarandon, and Pete Davidson also star.
[youtube][/youtube]

copied from my letterboxd review:
This movie was bad. I mean, really, inexplicably bad. I don't know why this movie exists. I have no idea why any of these actors are in this movie. Let me rephrase - Pete Davidson is exactly the guy that should be in this movie. Everyone else, not so much. Baffling. And I'm a fan of Neil Breen. I love Turturro, and I loved TBL, but man is this a big stinker.

Also, number of times he rolls in this film: 0.

Yeah, I made it through about 15 minutes, then skipped around a bit before I gave up. Even Turturro is awful in this film, which is surprising considering it's a character he played so well before and this is his passion project. The feeling I got watching what little I did was that no one involved in this film had a single fuck to give, and they put as much effort into things accordingly.
Just cut them up like regular chickens