Re: Recent movie playlist

darkness wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:Fahrenheit 11/9: This seemed really un-inspired for a Michael Moore-documentary. You can tell he tries to have some sort of through line but he never really commits to it and the movie just felt like it was all over the place in the end. The typical MM stuff, like going to the governor to spray water, and trying to make a citizens arrest, felt like Moore trying to do Moore and it just felt out of place. I get what he wanted to say with the film, I guess, but he needed a more tight a bigger impact with this one.
There's so much out there about Trump already, it just kind of all becomes noise. And MM always plays fast and loose with facts for the sake of theatrics to start with, he's our own worst enemy. I'm like, I agree with you in overall principle, but the way you're going about it is causing more harm than good. Which frankly could be said about a lot of the left these days.
TV Nation was the best thing he ever did, and so many others have copied it with way more success.

Even I liked TV Nation back in the day, and I was still largely a conservative republican at the time (my secret shame from my past outed). I wish it was available somewhere so I could revisit it with a different perspective.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Sorry To Bother You - wow was this not exactly what i thought it was. pretty clever marketing to make it seem like it's one thing when it's something entirely different. i kept thinking at some point we'll pull back and this will be some weird hallucination cash was having. nope! anyway, this is pretty funny while being simultaneously fucking bizarre. it gets really, really weird. take heavy-handed symbolism and add LSD. i do recommend watching it, just so i have someone to talk to about it. i'd probably watch it again.

Jacob's Ladder - hadn't watched this one in a while, wanted to watch it again. it's still so great. such a great film. and all the effects being done in-camera really help make it a classic. i'm very sad to know they are remaking it. can't imagine that being worth a shit, or at all necessary. i don't see how it could be improved upon. i had forgotten how many names were in this. rhames, caulkin, jason alexander, pruit vince, even kyle gass is in it. crazy.

The Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons Learned From A Mythical Man - fantastic, if short, little documentary about the man. seeing this just makes me want to hang out with him more. ending was kind of anticlimactic, since i assume mr. murray never got back to the director, but the way he spun it makes sense. i fear my chances of ever meeting and hanging with him are dwindling as time goes on. he is one of a kind, and we'll all be worse off when he leaves us.

Bird Box - nice take on the lovecraftian mythos, told from the human POV. two negatives going for it - one, we never see the "monsters", and two, i don't think the ancient ones would be thwarted by a piece of cloth or puny walls. if you can get past that dumbness, it's pretty cool. don't know why i'd need to see it again but it was fine.

Rendez-Vous - dutch/french language film, purported to be "uncut" on amazon under the moniker Obsession. i don't know what could have been cut. it wasn't graphic in any sense, in any scene. a trope that's been done a million times, but still had an interesting twist. the actors were good enough that it remained interesting. wouldn't go out of my way to watch it if i were you, but if it's on, watch it. nice pay off in the last 15 min.

klimov wrote:I like that you don't see the monsters.
given what i assume their budget was, i tend to agree. i mean, i'd rather not see them at all than see some shit, half-assed version. but the guy's art of them was fucking great.

second complaint remains.

TC wrote:Sorry To Bother You - wow was this not exactly what i thought it was. pretty clever marketing to make it seem like it's one thing when it's something entirely different. i kept thinking at some point we'll pull back and this will be some weird hallucination cash was having. nope! anyway, this is pretty funny while being simultaneously fucking bizarre. it gets really, really weird. take heavy-handed symbolism and add LSD. i do recommend watching it, just so i have someone to talk to about it. i'd probably watch it again.
Amen. Loved this messed-up movie.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Some recent documentaries:

Amanda Knox
Quite an interesting documentary from a feminist perspective (yes, that's me). The way the media (mostly brittish) and the catholic law enforcement officers and general public in Italy sentenced here in the court of public opinion based on their view of her person as a promiscuous (aka immoral) young woman is quite fascinating and scary to watch.

Massacre at the Stadium
Part two of Netflix new ReMastered-series which deals with Victor Jara, his murder at the hands of the Pinochet military coup and Joan Jaras fight for justice. I understand it's part of a series and that's why its under an hour long, but I would have gladly seen this as a stand alone documentary with half an hour dedicated to Victor Jaras life more. Still good though.

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened
The Netflix Fyre documentary, obviously. Have no idea what the difference is between this one and the Hulu one. An ok film that was almost completely void of any sympathetic voices. Obviously you care for the locals who were exploited during all of it, but pretty much all of the talking heads in the film can jump of a cliff as far as I'm concerned. Rich, spoiled assholes exploiting people and countries - fuck off.

I watched both Fyre docs (don't ask me to remember what each was called). The Netflix one I liked better, as I felt like it had a lot more detailed information and a more complete view of things. Plus who doesn't like a good dick sucking story? The Hulu one was a bit more filled with fluff, and paying Billy McFarland money so we can watch him lie on camera seems a bit ethically dubious. Nor was anything he had to say really that interesting.

We much preferred the Hulu one. The Netflix one was coproduced by the FuckJerry folks and it shows, whereas the Hulu one leaves no prisoners. I thought they did a more interesting job in framing the story too.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Alexhead wrote:We much preferred the Hulu one. The Netflix one was coproduced by the FuckJerry folks and it shows, whereas the Hulu one leaves no prisoners. I thought they did a more interesting job in framing the story too.
Naw, the Hulu one glossed over a lot and was a puff piece. It didn't even mention how the people of the island got screwed over. Nor did it really give as much of the behind the scenes drama. Though I would say the best way to get the most complete picture is to watch both of them.

darkness wrote:
Alexhead wrote:We much preferred the Hulu one. The Netflix one was coproduced by the FuckJerry folks and it shows, whereas the Hulu one leaves no prisoners. I thought they did a more interesting job in framing the story too.
Naw, the Hulu one glossed over a lot and was a puff piece. It didn't even mention how the people of the island got screwed over. Nor did it really give as much of the behind the scenes drama. Though I would say the best way to get the most complete picture is to watch both of them.
It has several interviews with locals who worked on the project, not sure where you're getting that. And I thought there was plenty of behind the scenes drama.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."