Re: Mary Poppins Returns

[youtube][/youtube]

i think they waited a little long to mention the children's mother. over a minute in and i'm still thinking, "wait, so jane and michael...? YIKES!"

i'll be watching the shit out of this.

Just read a Variety piece earlier that called it a legit Oscar contender. Preview audiences are loving it.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

saw this yesterday. it was fine. i quite liked parts of it, parts of it were too long and could/should have been trimmed, and some parts probably should have been cut entirely (like, if the fixed bowl has no bearing on anything, that entire scene with streep could have been gone). the BMX-ing appearing at random made me laugh out loud at how out of place that was for no reason whatsoever. but, blunt was outstanding in it. practically perfect in every way. more mary poppins with her please. anyway, this was is kind of all over the place as far as which pieces work and which are less great, but none really fell flat for me. just didn't need to be 2h10m. i didn't leave the theater enraged at it existing, i left being ok that it existed, so that's a success i guess.

Yes, indeed, the Streep scene should have been written out and film is def 20 mins too long. Disney don't test their tentpoles anymore, right, for fear of leaks? But I liked it quite a bit. Not sure it has performed well enough to get us a sequel unfortunately. Guess they should have made her a latex suit.

klimov wrote:Disney don't test their tentpoles anymore, right, for fear of leaks?
Marry Poppins had several test screenings. It's only really, really big stuff, like an Avengers or Star Wars main episode film, that isn't test screened.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

They ran some screenings of the finished film for Academy members a couple of months ago (a friend was invited to one of those), but are you sure they tested it properly with Joe Public? Rogue One wasn't tested either btw.

Depends on what you mean by joe public. They did screenings for exhibitors. But if you mean did they round people up in a shopping mall and give them little dials to indicate how they like things, no. Few movies do that these days. Effects are so time consuming and costly that there's usually not time to make any changes after the film is edited, not to mention the huge cost. Lots of times it's cheaper just to let a film potentially fail than try to fix it.
Just cut them up like regular chickens