Venom

THR wrote:Sony may bite on Spidey spinoff
Studio developing 'Venom,' seeking new writers

With Heath Ledger's villainous Joker drawing attention and boxoffice dollars, Sony is moving forward with "Venom," a potential "Spider-Man" spinoff based on a bad guy.

The studio is developing the project, based on the gooey nemesis who appeared in "Spider-Man 3" and is hoping the character could serve as an antidote to the aging "Spider-Man" franchise in the way that Fox has used Wolverine to add longevity to its "X-Men" franchise.

But getting any spinoff off the ground, let alone one centered on a villain, can be tricky.

The studio had commissioned a draft of the script from Jacob Estes, a writer of the specialty film "Mean Creek," released several years ago by Paramount Classics. He's also attached to the Plan B drama "The Gifted."

But the studio is considering going in a different direction from Estes' script and is seeking writers for a new draft.

Casting also is no simple matter. Topher Grace played the character in the film, but agents have been eyeing the role for their clients, as Sony is not yet convinced the actor can carry a tentpole picture [but it had no problem with McGuire?? - TC].

Neither Sony nor Marvel would comment for this story.

In "Spider-Man 3," Venom is essentially a parasite that attaches itself to a host via a sticky substance that then gives the host special powers. The fact that it is a substance rather than a character could give Sony leeway to cast a new actor.

"Venom" came about as part of the licensing deal between Marvel and Sony for the Spider-Man movies, which contained provisions allowing for the use of spinoffs based on other Spider-Man characters.

The project is part of a larger feeding frenzy for superhero projects, scores of which have been signed up in the last few months while movies such as "Iron Man" and "The Dark Knight" light up the boxoffice.

Sony is developing a fourth "Spider-Man" film for 2011, but that picture would come out nine years after the original movie debuted, adding to the studio's desire to see new Marvel characters.

Re: Venom

THR wrote: With Heath Ledger's villainous Joker drawing attention and boxoffice dollars, Sony is moving forward with "Venom," a potential "Spider-Man" spinoff based on a bad guy.
Does this mean they'll kill off in real life whomever plays Venom in the film to get the box office numbers up?
Just cut them up like regular chickens

G4 wrote:Confirmed: 'Venom' Spin-Off Film In The Works

It seems that Venom fans (and the dozens of people who actually liked Spider-Man 3) will be celebrating, as multiple sources are now confirming that a spin-off film of the iconic Spider-Villain will indeed happen. Writers of the upcoming film, Zombieland, Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese are set to pen the screenplay. The writing duo actually had the opportunity to pitch the film to Sony Pictures, though were contractually-bound not to reveal too many details. According to Reese in an interview with ComingSoon/SuperHeroHype:

"Venom is something that we're very fired up to be writing. We have turned in a draft and are waiting to hear back, so it's early in the process. But it's a thrill to be writing 'Venom' for obvious reasons."

What then, would be the framework, under which a Venom film could possibly be contained? Well, Reese goes on to say:

"Obviously, with a character like Venom there's a ton of stuff to draw from. Then they had specific rules about the villain and the backstory and stuff like that, so there were certain things they wanted us... certain parameters they gave us. But largely we pitched them something and they liked it but they had changes, so we worked on the outline for a long time and then we wrote the script. So with Marvel and Sony and us it's definitely very, very collaborative."

The duo also implies to SciFi that they do not have Sam Raimi's disdain (if you could call it that) for the Venom character, and that they would be devoting plenty of research of the source material before moving forward.

"We read [Venom] growing up, but we were not experts," Reese said. "We certainly know the mythology of Venom, but went back and learned more when it became clear that we could actually get this job." Also adding, "It's source material that everybody knows and everybody's familiar with and everybody loves. There's a burden on you to meet the expectations of people. A lot of people are curious about Venom."

...Oh boy, where to begin?

I like the attitude that Reese and Wernick are bringing to the table. However, this undertaking is problematic in SO many ways. 800 lb. Gorilla in the Room: Venom DIED in Spider-Man 3. (In a hastily-designed wrap-up to a rushed and sloppy story.) Spidey threw a Goblin Pumpkin bomb right into Venom's core, and he, along with Eddie Brock disintegrated before our very eyes. That's pretty damn definitive, if you ask me.

Then there's the possibility of it being a completely different mythos. (à la Catwoman.) This is definitely a route I can see as being tempting to the creative team in the aftermath of what Spider-Man 3 left (both in a canonical and creative sense.) However, here's the problem: Sam Raimi's making Spider-Man 4! (And he will have full creative control, which should make it a better film.) With this fourth film set to hit theaters in May 2011, and Venom roughly set for 2012 (according to imbd) , the LAST thing fans want to see, are two distinct Spider-franchises floating out there around the same time, confusing people.

Sam Raimi has claimed in the past, that the deficiencies in Spider-Man 3 were due to his hands being tied, creatively. Seeing how good we know he can be, I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. That being said, as we are gearing up for what (hopefully) should be a good Spider-Man film that will redeem the mistakes of the last one, we will also be set for something that possibly may be a constant reminder of that last one. Do we really need it?

I'm not going to preemptively poo-poo this Venom film, though. If they do this in the right way, cast it well, (I'm not too sure about Tohper Grace) then it may actually redeem the third film. THAT is the best thing we can hope for, at this point.

Honestly, this is probably what they should have done in the first place instead of trying to shoehorn Venom into the convoluted mess that was Spidey 3. Or better yet, saved him for Spidey 4. Oh well.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

HeatVision wrote:'Venom' to be written and possibly directed by Gary Ross

Gary Ross is writing “Venom,” Columbia’s “Spider-Man” spinoff based on one of the villains from “Spider-Man 3,” as a potential directing vehicle. Ross is already writing “Spider-Man 4” for the studio.

In the comics, Venom is a gooey alien parasite that bonds with Peter Parker and later his newsroom rival, among other people, becoming one of more popular villains in "Spider-Man’s" rogue gallery.

Topher Grace portrayed the character in the 2007 movie, which ended with both the human and the alien symbiote apparently destroyed in an explosion.

The studio had no comment on Grace’s involvement nor on Ross writing the project.

Avi Arad and Marvel are producing the movie. Ross would also produce.

Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, who wrote “Zombieland,” previously worked on the script, as did Jacob Estes.

Ross, repped by CAA, hasn’t directed a movie since 2003’s “Seabiscuit.”

G4 wrote:'Venom' Set To Be A "Good Guy" In Solo Film

Are you ready to see Venom turn over a new leaf? Apparently the folks over at Columbia/Sony feel that way. However, don't look for Venom's new self-help initiative to involve a 12 step program to wean himself off human brains. Among other details about the long-rumored solo project for Spider-Man's evil symbiote-clad nemesis, the biggest bombshell dropped about the film so far, is that Venom will in fact be a GOOD GUY in the film.

What a difference a week can make in the development of a film. Just last week, we were told that the scribes behind the recently-successful Zombieland, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick would be working this script. Now, it seems that the job will go to Gary Ross (Pleasantville, Seabiscuit,) who will also likely have a director's chair waiting, as well. Ross, who is also currently re-writing the script for Sam Raimi's upcoming Spider-Man 4 after James Vanderbilt and David Lindsay-Abaire were initially tapped for the job, seems to be Team Columbia's favorite relief pitcher as of late. Additionally, Ross will be serving as a producer, alongside penultimate Marvel god, Avi Arad. The upcoming film will apparently attempt to portray the character of Venom in a new light. According to Variety:

"The Venom, an arch enemy of the web-slinger in the Marvel Comics series, will be transformed into an anti-hero who becomes a defender of the innocent."

Of course, the concept of Venom as a pseudo-vigilante is not new in the world of comics. For a time in the 90's, Eddie Brock's alter-ego, Venom, was known as "The Lethal Protector." In perhaps the most prominent storyline of that era, Venom turned up in San Francisco, where he ended up taking the cause of protecting a group of homeless people from criminals. This resulted in finally finding acceptance among other people as he joined the group, who turned out to be an underground society descended from the great 1906 earthquake. (And yes, you read that correctly; Marvel retconned San Francisco's homeless issues.) However, that happiness would be short-lived as an evil foundation kidnaps him in an attempt to spawn more symbiotes for their own sinister uses. He eventually would count on the help of his old nemesis, Spider-Man to be rescued from their clutches.

Whether the film will be a variation of that particular storyline (minus Spidey's involvement,) remains to be seen. However, Variety did make the point in regards to its connection with the existing Spider-Man film franchise, that "the spinoff will start from the drawing board." ("PR to Fanboy" Translation: Reboot.) Therefore, the involvement of Spider-Man 3's Eddie Brock/Venom played by Topher Grace (who just now signed to be in another franchise update, Predators) seems more unlikely as each day passes.

Is this good OR bad news? Personally, I can only publish how much of a trainwreck I thought Spider-Man 3 became so many times before I wear myself out. Any change is good, I suppose. However, the fact remains, that Sony/Columbia holds the film rights to Spider-Man in perpetuity. (Which is kind of a long time. Well, technically, it means "forever.") What they do with the franchise IS going to happen whether we like it or not. Right now, we have the fourth (and likely final) Raimi Spider-Man film on the horizon, and now, this "solo reboot" film of the character who was just unceremoniously dispatched in THAT film's previous installment.

Oh, what a tangled web (pun intended) Columbia/Sony has weaved.
um... wat?

We reported earlier this year that the messy breakup of Steven Spielberg's DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures may have killed the director's opportunity to bring the swinging, pulp fiction super-spy, Matt Helm, back to the big screen (he was previously played by Dean Martin in the 1960s films, which partially inspired Mike Myers' "Austin Powers" series; there was also a TV show in the '70s).

The project was being spearheaded by the omnipresent writing/producing duo of Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci ("Transformers," "Star Trek," TV's "Fringe," etc. etc. etc.), with a script recently turned in by the usually solid Paul Attanasio (he wrote and scored Oscar nominations for "Donnie Brasco," and "Quiz Show," co-wrote on, "The Fighter," and his recent 'Helm' draft is apparently excellent). Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm series of novels started in the 1960s and lasted for 33 years, but this version was said to jettison any period setting for the present day, a la the "Bourne" films (yes, we're all looking forward to the day when we never have to use the phrase 'a la the "Bourne" films' again).

When Spielberg took DreamWorks and split for Disney, Paramount said, "No, Spielberg, you cannot have Matt Helm." So it looked like politics might have killed the project, but in the end, Spielberg got his way, only to eventually turn away from the project on his own accord.

But a source close to the project tells us a new director has his hands on the project — none other than Gary Ross, writer-director of "Pleasantville" and "Seabiscuit," who was recently attached to writing and potentially directing the Sony "Spider-Man" spin-off "Venom" (he had something to do with the "Spider-Man 4" script, too). But this source notes, "Venom" is a ways off and will have to wait, "Matt Helm," is coming first and is being scheduled to shoot in the summer of 2010 if all goes according to plan.

"Matt Helm" was originally developed as a project for George Clooney who passed. Jon Hamm was next in line, but fell out of line and now at the top of the list and in discussions is "The Hangover" star Bradley Cooper who almost scored the role of "Green Lantern" earlier this year. No deal is done, but Cooper looks to be the man right now.

When it was decided that Gary Ross was the go-to guy for big budget studio action movies is anybody's guess. Maybe they saw the thriller-ish undercurrents in his script for "Dave"? (That was a joke.) His father was screenwriter Arthur A. Ross, who wrote the original "Creature from the Black Lagoon," so maybe they're just assuming it's genetic? Either way, with "Venom," and "Matt Helm" on deck it looks like Ross is going to try his hand at something a little different. — Drew Taylor and the EIC

Posted by The Playlist at 3:17 PM

Labels: Dean Martin, Gary Ross, Matt Helm, Steven Spielberg
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2009/10 ... -gary.html
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

MTV wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Sam Raimi Addresses 'Spider-Man 4' And 'Venom' Movie Connections

We might know who the villains are in "Spider-Man 4" or whether Sam Raimi will be back for "Spider-Man 5" and "Spider-Man 6," but when it comes to the connection between the "Spider-Man" franchise and a potential "Venom" movie, well...

Okay, Raimi couldn't give us much on that question, either.

But we did ask the celebrated director about how the two universes will connect, if at all, when Spider-Man's black-clad nemesis swings off into his own solo movie.

"It hasn't come up to me," Raimi told MTV News when asked if the two characters will share a movie universe after Venom's introduction in "Spider-Man 3."

"I think that the studio is just letting me work with the writers and trying to make the best stories possible for this universe," he added. "I don't know if Venom is a separate universe or not."

News has been flying around regarding the proposed "Venom" solo movie lately, with writer Gary Ross first being tagged to rewrite and possibly direct the film, only to have his participation called into question when he was tapped to replace Steven Spielberg as the director "Matt Helm."

Furthermore, there are still a lot of questions regarding the tone of a "Venom" movie, given the character's less-than-heroic introduction in the last "Spider-Man" movie. The comic book character got around it his own evil origins, sure—but is the world ready for a "Venom: Lethal Enforcer" adaptation? Various reports had the plot of the film focusing on Venom as a "protector of the innocent," so there's no telling what sort of plans Hollywood has for the sinister symbiote.

And now it looks like Raimi, the current architect of Spider-Man's movie universe, isn't privy to those plans, either.

hey look, 9 years later:
[youtube][/youtube]
/film wrote:‘Venom’ Trailer: Tom Hardy is a Lethal Protector

We still can’t believe there’s a standalone Venom movie, but here’s the trailer to prove it. Tom Hardy stars as the character who began life in the pages of Spider-Man. This new film recasts Venom as a “lethal protector,” and has him operating outside the ongoing Spider-Man saga.

It’s hard to believe a Venom standalone film is really happening, but the fact can no longer be denied. Whether or not Venom as a character can work without Spider-Man swinging around remains to be seen, but Gangster Squad director Ruben Fleischer is certainly going to give it the old college try. The first Venom trailer has arrived to give us a look at Tom Hardy’s take on the iconic character.

As we previously reported, Venom is inspired by two comic book runs: Lethal Protector and Planet of the Symbiotes. Lethal Protector was the first comic that changed Venom, aka Eddie Brock, from a full-fledged Spider-Man villain into an anti-hero. In the comic, Brock struck a deal with Spider-Man that ensured the characters would leave each other alone, then he hightailed it to San Francisco. In Planet of the Symbiotes, earth is invaded by an army of symbiotes, aka the black, gooey alien substance that serves as the raw materials for Venom’s iconic costume.

This wont be the first time Venom has appeared on the big screen. Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 3 first rendered Venom in live action, where he was played by Topher Grace. Raimi’s take on the character as a frail, sniveling dweeb differed from the traditional hulking comic book version. Now it’s Hardy’s turn to give it a go.

In addition to Hardy, Venom stars Michelle Williams, Riz Ahmed, Scott Haze, Reid Scott and Jenny Slate. The script comes courtesy of Scott Rosenberg (Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle), Jeff Pinkner (The Dark Tower), Kelly Marcel (Fifty Shades of Grey) and Will Beall (Aquaman). Here’s the synopsis, which contains the phrase “badass,” so you know this film means business.

One of Marvel’s most enigmatic, complex and badass characters comes to the big screen, starring Academy Award® nominated actor Tom Hardy as the lethal protector Venom.

I remain skeptical about this whole endeavor, but Tom Hardy is a damn good actor, and he might just be able to pull this off. The actor spoke in the past about his commitment to the role, saying: “I just wanted to say that I give you my word of honor that I’m going to do everything that I can to deliver the best Venom that I possibly can muster.” Well said, Tom. Don’t we all want to deliver the best Venom that we can muster?

Venom opens October 5, 2018.
venom_xlg-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah why the fuck do you release a trailer for Venom with no Venom?
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

_Marcus_ wrote:Yeah, that could have been a trailer for pretty much any movie these days. Good job, guys.
After watching the trailer with the actual Venom in it, I stand by this statement 100%.