Re: Fargo [TV]

TDB wrote:Chris Rock Cast in ‘Fargo’ Season Four

Chris Rock will lead the just-announced new season of FX’s Fargo limited series. It will be the comedian’s first regular on-screen acting role in a scripted series, following stints on Saturday Night Live and the narrator on Everybody Hates Chris. The season, which is set to air next year, will be set in 1950 against the backdrop of “two great American migrations,” according to FX: the immigrants who moved from Southern Europe to to northern cities like New York and Chicago and the African Americans who left the South to escape Jim Crow, setting up a “collision of outsiders.” Rock will play the head of a family who makes moral compromises in the name of survival. In other words, Fargo!
i wonder how UFOs and/or aliens will factor into this?

I keep forgetting I've been meaning to get caught up on this show. Too much prestige TV to keep track of.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I liked S3 of Fargo, not quite as good as the second but still very entertaining, great cast, etc. I like everything I see about S4.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

/film wrote:‘Fargo’ Season 4 Cast: Jason Schwartzman, Ben Whishaw, and More Join Chris Rock

It’s been almost a year since we heard the first details about the next season of Fargo, FX’s small screen riff on the Coen Brothers’ Oscar-winning 1996 movie. Last year, showrunner Noah Hawley cast Chris Rock as the lead of season 4, and today, the network has finally announced the other key members of the cast.

Jason Schwartzman (Rushmore, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World), Ben Whishaw (Skyfall, Paddington), Jack Huston (Boardwalk Empire), and more are joining the show this season, which takes place in Kansas City in the 1950s. Discover the rest of the newly-announced cast (including a new personal favorite!) and find out who they’re all playing below.

Since Noah Hawley doesn’t have a strict yearly schedule with Fargo and only makes a new season when a new idea strikes him, it’s been a while since an episode of the show has aired – the third season concluded in June of 2017. But it’s gearing up to shoot its fourth season this winter, and now we have a cast list and a breakdown of who these actors will play – and get a load of these character names.

Jack Huston as “Odis Weff”

Jason Schwartzman as “Josto Fadda”

Ben Whishaw as “Rabbi Milligan”

Jessie Buckley as “Orietta Mayflower”

Salvatore Esposito as “Gaetano Fadda”

Andrew Bird as “Thurman Smutney”

Jeremie Harris as “Leon Bittle”

Gaetano Bruno as “Constant Calamita”

Anji White as “Dibrell Smutney”

Francesco Acquaroli as “Ebal Violante”

E’myri Crutchfield as “Ethelrida Pearl Smutney”

Amber Midthunder (recurring) as “Swanee Capps”

While Schwartzman, Whishaw, and Huston are the most recognizable new additions, I’m most excited about Jessie Buckley being added to this cast. I’d never heard of the actress before this April, when I was super impressed with her performance in a country music drama called Wild Rose. But I was totally stunned to realize that she was also in HBO’s Chernobyl, playing the wife of a fireman who was contaminated on the scene of a nuclear reactor disaster. The two performances are totally different from one another, and she’s completely unrecognizable from one to the next, so I’m excited to have a new favorite up-and-coming, chameleonic performer to watch and it should be especially fun to see her enter the world of Fargo.

Here’s the official description of the new season, which includes a brief history lesson and hints at how this season fits with the others:

In 1950, at the end of two great American migrations — that of Southern Europeans from countries like Italy, who came to the US at the turn of the last century and settled in northern cities like New York, Chicago — and African Americans who left the south in great numbers to escape Jim Crow and moved to those same cities — you saw a collision of outsiders, all fighting for a piece of the American dream. In Kansas City, Missouri, two criminal syndicates have struck an uneasy peace. One Italian, one African American. Together they control an alternate economy — that of exploitation, graft and drugs. This too is the history of America. To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their eldest sons.

Chris Rock plays the head of one family, a man who — in order to prosper — has surrendered his oldest boy to his enemy, and who must in turn raise his son’s enemy as his own. It’s an uneasy peace, but profitable. And then the head of the Kansas City mafia goes into the hospital for routine surgery and dies. And everything changes. It’s a story of immigration and assimilation, and the things we do for money. And as always, a story of basically decent people who are probably in over their heads. You know, Fargo.

Fargo season 4 does not have an official premiere date yet.
so, "fargo" takes place in "kansas city" entirely this season? weird thing.

i was really disappointed with the s4e1 episode and didn't continue for several weeks. however, got caught up yesterday - meaning, watched the next 3 episodes - and it got way better very quickly. timothy olyphant showed up for real in e4, which was very welcome. "fargo", the city, has been mentioned once, in passing, in the show. so, not sure where this is going. definitely a main plotline, and some very (very) quirky subplots. feels like fargo alright. after e1, hawley has done well with this. again, don't be discouraged by e1 not being very good. stick with it.

caught up last night, through e8. the direct connect to "fargo" appears to have shown up. the season gets better as it goes along. really into the vibe now. don't know if i'd say it was better than S2 or anything, but i'm very curious where this goes.

TC wrote:caught up last night, through e8. the direct connect to "fargo" appears to have shown up. the season gets better as it goes along. really into the vibe now. don't know if i'd say it was better than S2 or anything, but i'm very curious where this goes.
was a satisfying ending to the season, and that tag at the end that directly connected this to S2 was amazing. i didn't see that coming and it makes the entire season make complete sense. loved it.

season 5 wrapped a couple days ago. it was probably the best season so far, from memory. i haven't re-watched any of the previous seasons, but just from memory and impact, this season was great. jon hamm was fucking amazing this season. he needs to play a villain more often. jennifer jason leigh was of course great in her ruthless role. joe keery (steve from stranger things) was also excellent here, was great seeing him cast against type, and he played it very well. always great to see dave foley as well. but the real standout here was sam spruell. i don't recall seeing him before, although looking through his IMDB page i clearly have. his character, and his absolutely chilling, menacing performance here was fantastic. it's unclear who his character really is - lots of background provided in the final scene that gives some hints - but every time he was on screen, it was always teetering on impending violence and menace. just fantastic. if you tapped out after last season's oddball chris rock run, come back and watch this season. loved it!