[Movie] 'Suspiria' remake?

yikes....
UHM wrote:Variety reports that Dimension Films has gotten their hands on the remake rights to the Italian 1977 horror classic Suspiria, with Stephen Katz (Shadow of the Vampire) attached to write the screenplay. The original was directed by one of my favorite director's, Dario Argento.
file this under the "why" category....

Re: [Movie] 'Susperia' remake?

TC wrote:yikes....
UHM wrote:Variety reports that Dimension Films has gotten their hands on the remake rights to the Italian 1977 horror classic Suspiria, with Stephen Katz (Shadow of the Vampire) attached to write the screenplay. The original was directed by one of my favorite director's, Dario Argento.
speaking of 70s horror, I think the only one worth remaking would be Last House on the Left... get a better director than Craven (shouldn't be too hard), change the soundtrack, lose the comic relief... voila, instantly superior product.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
TC wrote:yikes....
speaking of 70s horror, I think the only one worth remaking would be Last House on the Left... get a better director than Craven (shouldn't be too hard), change the soundtrack, lose the comic relief... voila, instantly superior product.
Wouldn't it be easier to just rerelease The Virgin Spring with a new title? :)

But seriously, there's tons of 70's horror worth remaking...I spent my entire youth renting one old horror flick after another. They all looked and sounded so fucking cool but 99% of them turned out to be boring, unwatchable trash. Those are the films they should be remaking.

Maybe they could start with the video nasties list (excluding the two or three good ones, of course)?

DH wrote:"Suspiria" Remake Director Talks Changes

It has been a few years since there has been any real apparent movement on the upcoming remake of Dario Argento's trippy 1970's horror classic "Suspiria". At that time filmmaker David Gordon Green ("Joe," "Pineapple Express") was attached to direct the project.

Then came word recently that filmmaker Luca Guadagnino is taking over the helm. Guadagnino popped up at the Venice Film Festival this past week to promote his current film "A Bigger Splash" and he spoke with Empire about what his take on "Suspiria" will be:
"The film by Dario Argento was a very indicative moment of growing up for me because I saw it when I was 14. I think it changed me forever. I was obsessed [with Argento] through all my adolescence. [My version] is going to be set in Berlin in 1977. It's going to be about the mother and the concept of motherhood and about the uncompromising force of motherhood. It's going to be about finding your inner voice – the title is very evocative on these grounds.

[My version is] very different. The movie by Dario Argento was maybe a child of its own times. It's very delicate; almost childish. I have a very strong interest in German literature and film, so I think [my] Suspiria will have to focus very strongly on that moment in history, in 1977, when Germany was divided and a new generation was claiming and asking to recognise the debt of guilt that forged the new Germany after the war against the fathers who wanted to deny the responsibility."
Isabelle Huppert and Isabelle Fuhrman were both linked to the previous Gordon Green version, but Guadagnino confirms that's no longer the case and the new cast members will be announced soon. Locations are also currently being worked out.

saw this movie saturday. i loved it and am anxious to see it again. there were certainly things i didn't really understand (what exactly does the hijacking have to do with anything?) and things that seems wholly unnecessary (the whole war angle, and most of the doctor's back story, were head-scratchers and could have shaved plenty of time off this), and i really wish some things were a bit darker (wish they would have made some foreshadowing more ominous and pushed the darkness more), and i kind of hated thom yorke's soundtrack for this, but man i really liked it. tilda is a monster and kills it in the blanc role. really, almost all of the cast is pretty spot on for me. loved the ending.

we watched the original last night as a comparison, since my wife hadn't seen it, and while there are a (very) few good scenes, as a whole it's kind of a laugh fest. i do love the architecture and color palette and goblin soundtrack and wish some more of those elements made it into the remake, but overall, the remake is much more watchable. firstly, it's a movie about witches at a dance studio, and the remake actually features some really compelling dancing and gives said dancing real power. there is one scene of very light dancing in the original. and while budget karen allen is fine in the main role of the original, i can't get past zirconia zsa zsa gabor running the place or how everyone for some reason pronounces the word "AHCK-alt". really, my favorite scenes in the OG have little to do with the film overall (beginning/stained glass scene with cheapo margot kidder, the blind guy/dog scene). while it could have used a little more aggressive editing, the 2018 version is way more enjoyable overall.

Re: [Movie] 'Suspiria' remake?

classic, sure. but there are probably triple digit numbers of classics i would go to before it. i understand and respect what argento did for horror cinema in particular, but his stuff is far from my favorite (clearly). as an avid horror fan, i also don't give a shit about universal monsters or vincent price. shrug.