Re: Ready Player One

The book is a really fun, quick read, and there's definitely a plot. It's been a while since I read it though, and I'm not sure what half of things going on in the trailer were, like I don't remember that big race and the monster truck at all. Hopefully the movie doesn't suck.

I don't even know what that means. Anyway, the book is fun and if executed well it should be a decent time at the movies. The book was short on character, so I'm hoping Spielberg warms that end of things up. I see a lot of hate for the marketing campaign so far so I'm guessing it won't be a hit.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

looks like a giant pop culture video game where the developers had a blank check for licensing characters. i don't know what anyone expected other than that, trailer looks exactly as i figured it would. i'll be seeing it.

big d note wrote: I'll be skipping this one in the theater.
I haven't paid to see a Spielberg movie in the theater since Indy 4.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Weird that the buzz turned on this one so quickly. I remember when the first trailer came out people were wetting themselves with joy. Now everyone seems to hate it. Whomever is doing their marketing, they sure bungled this one.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

The worm turns yet again as it debuts to gushing raves at SXSW. I have always felt this was a great combination of source material and filmmaker.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Re: Recent movie playlist

Tried out Ready Player One this morning. Shut it off after about 30 minutes. Felt like it was produced by a video FX house, and then Spielberg stopped in on weekends to blankly nod in approval at the conceptual pieces.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

added RPO comment from RMP thread. for stuff that has its own thread, please add comment there. RMP is really for stuff that doesn't already have a thread. if a conversation develops, ala a star is born, i'll make a thread.