Re: The Flash [TV] [201x]

TC wrote:i predict he'll stay gone maybe two episodes.
Back by the end of episode one I say. Flash is the king of big season end cliffhangers that they resolve simply at the start of the next. Remember the huge vortex that was going to suck up the world? Then they came back the next season and said, "Hey, it all got fixed, so what's new?"
Just cut them up like regular chickens

DH wrote:Tom Felton Out, Fun Returns In “The Flash”

After serving as a series regular throughout the third season, former “Harry Potter” film series actor Tom Felton is out of “The Flash” for its fourth go around.

Felton played Julian Albert, Barry’s CSI lab partner who had a romance with Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker). Though Felton is both out as a regular and hasn’t yet signed for any guest appearances, that doesn’t mean he won’t pop back to Central City to visit at some point.

One thing the series does intend to bring back for the fourth season is a sense of fun, something that has been downplayed in the second and more obviously the third season. Showrunner Todd Helbing tells Comic Book:

“Last year, once we showed Iris die in the future, to keep up that doom and gloom, it becomes a burden, and not just on us writing-wise, on the show and it just sort of had this pall over the season that I think we didn’t expect to be so heavy.

I’m not trying to say anything bad about season 3. I love season 3, and I love Savitar, and I love the story we told, but I think that’s about as dark as I ever want to go with the show.

So yeah, I think that was a conscious effort of ours to really go back to everybody enjoyed being on this team and with each other, and make The Flash have fun again. I’m really excited about the scripts so far; they’re really, really funny.”

The show’s star Grant Gustin also tells the outlet that eventually, like has been teased since the first season, the goal is to adapt the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” storyline.
so... we're just going to pretend he didn't exist and the love interest between him & cait is gone? that was the one love interest story on the show that was interesting, barring the cisco/bounty huntress one, which is great.

Like I said, Flash is the king of storylines that get resolved quickly between seasons. "Oh hey, it's a real shame Julian tripped down the stairs and broke his neck last week. But enough of that, who want's to have some fun!"

DH wrote:Gustin On Barry’s Rebirth In “The Flash” S4

The CW’s “The Flash” has gotten progressively darker with each year, culminating in the third season that was arguably the weakest of the show’s run so far. Part of that was the far too late reveal of its ‘big bad’, but mostly it was that the titular Barry Allen acted like a selfish jerk for many episodes.

Actor Grant Gustin, who plays Barry on the series, has agreed with the criticism and tells Cinema Blend that Barry’s time in the Speed Force will lead him to him becoming a changed man – one who isn’t actively messing up the lives of everyone around him. In fact, he sees Barry, the main one (not just the alternate future one), as the chief villain of the third season:

“We were going to be the lighter, funnier show. And you know, sometimes storylines just take you where they take you. I think just because of all the time travel that Barry Allen did, and all the repercussions it had, it took us down the “Flashpoint” road, if you will.

We really didn’t do “Flashpoint” for long, but we dealt with the repercussions for an entire season. Barry wasn’t only the big bad at the end of the year, but he was kind of the villain of the season because it was his fault that everything happened.

So we’re going to get back to our roots a little bit, and because of this experience in the Speed Force, Barry’s able to let go of things and move on, and he’s able to help the team move on, and the show can get back to its original roots where Barry enjoys having these powers and has fun, and the whole team has a little bit more fun.”

The new season will see Barry joined by a new hero, Elongated Man, and take on a villain who is finally not a speedster – The Thinker. “The Flash” returns on The CW on October 10th.
he's not wrong. and what he says really underscores your theorem, with phrases like "able to let go of things" and "move on". also, what - they couldn't get the rights to plastic man? would be pretty funny to see that giant, big-titted blonde strolling around whining "plaaaaaaz".

Re: Legends Of Tomorrow

if you haven't been keeping up. this season is far and away the best one. it is so absurd and fantastical that it just works. it's funny, dramatic, great action, and just all-around well-written absurdity.
the helen of troy episode was great. loved them dropping her off on Themyscira
if you want nutso, DGAF DC superhero fun, watch this show. i don't see why you couldn't just start with this season. it's not difficult to follow, and while there is a thru-line, each episode is pretty much stand-alone.

Re: Arrow [CW]

so i finally got caught up on this and finished season 6. i was wondering where they were going the first half of this season. it was all fractured and plodding. the back half was much better. alvarez from oz is a great bad guy. it's essentially just him doing his over the top pacino impression the entire time. pretty amusing. and i am so stoked they teased the longbow hunters, holy shit did not see that coming! i hope that is an immediate S7 payoff. that was one of my favorite story lines of the books. anyway, a pretty uneven season does eventually get where it needed to get. still watching, and still say that 'legends' is the most fun of the DC shows, but i'm not watching supergirl, gotham or krypton. just arrow, flash and legends.

Agreed on Legends. I do like Supergirl, partially because I've always had a soft spot for the character and really like Peter David's run on her book. But I Krypton was awful, I didn't make it past the first two episodes. Gotham I didn't make it past the first episode.
Arrow kind of annoyed me this season. I felt like Oliver's personality is all over the place now. And they brought back the Felicity relationship, which I can't stand.

why can't you stand it? i'm on the fence about it, as it makes her character act differently, but it is clearly what should happen with them. it just makes a very convenient go-to during a battle or tense moment or whatever, which can lead to lazy writing. and yes, oliver is all over the place. sometimes episode to episode.

It kind of came out of nowhere when it happened, the continual break-up/get back together is starting to wear thin, and whenever they're together her IQ seems to drop about 40 points.

came out of nowhere? the first time she appeared it was very obvious she had a thing for him. maybe you thought they'd just let that be what it is forever? haha. it's DC, has to be some side love story.