why are we here?

existential crisis of site lately. everyone has moved every discussion to FB. seems it's not going to go away like myspace did. i don't really see the point of this site anymore. that being said, i know that one day FB will do something that will finally piss everyone off enough to leave, and then what? so i'm going to keep it here. don't want to lose the archive of "very important" thoughts. it's not a huge expense, but it is an expense. if things change much more for me, i may have to consider letting it go, but for now will leave it for the 5 people that use it and are mostly all friends on FB anyway.

Re: why are we here?

I understand your feelings about it. And yeah, I would not wan't to let this ugly/beautiful site go just yet. I'm on FB from time to time but feel all dirty (the wrong kind of dirty) every time I log on. It's up to you, TC. If it's a big expence for you, I would completely understand letting g0re go.

I don't post too much but I still check in regularly and I'd be bummed to see the site go.

I've got a Synology Diskstation NAS and I know that they offer a phpBB package, though I've never messed with it. I don't know if that might be an option to save some costs. I think you've done some customization to this site though, and it might not transfer well. I'm not an IT guy by any means, but I know enough that I manage to host a Wordpress blog for my dad on my Synology. The speed is limited by my Comcast upload speed, but for a site with limited traffic like this and his blog that is probably fine.

Anyway, I'm hoping to upgrade to a better 4-bay Synology in the next few months and my old 2-bay (DS212j) will be available if you're interested in trying that option to avoid hosting fees.

i have a syno as well. in fact, need to finally replace one of the drives as it has bad sectors that are becoming many.

if i ONLY hosted this site, it would probably be gone a couple years ago. i host several other sites, one mine, many for friends, so me deciding not to host anymore impacts a lot of people and is a larger decision. i pay $80 quarterly. it's not expensive, but like i said if it was just this, it would be burning money. have had some "life changes" recently that impact my bottom line. selling a bunch of stuff. this would be the very last thing to go. no worries, like i said it will be here just not sure why at this point. shrug. :)

Agree with big d, I would be supremely bummed if ol' g0re went away. Granted, I don't post much at the moment but I do check in a couple of times each day to see if something new has popped up. It's been a habit of mine for years and years and I wouldn't wan't it to go away. But it's your call, TC. And I'm sorry to hear you have had to make changes to the bottom line recently. Here's hoping things will change for the better for you and yours.

If It comes to it, I'm more than happy to host this place on my server (along with the FTP). I'm always going to need to keep that server going for other things anyway, and it's certainly got the capacity for this place. It might be quiet, and I'm really not a movie buff (so I guess most of the discussions on this place are lost on me, heh), but I'm still very fond of this place. I've given up on FB entirely for everything other than Messenger, so this place is kinda a breath of fresh air.