Re: Game Of Thrones

BFI wrote:Porridge and Game of Thrones actor Peter Vaughan dies at 93
A beloved British character actor, Peter Vaughan appeared in countless film and TV roles over seven decades.

The great British character actor Peter Vaughan, best known for his role as Grouty in the TV sitcom Porridge, has died at the age of 93. Vaughan’s career spanned seven decades, beginning with roles in such classic British films as Sapphire (1959) and Village of the Damned (1961) and extending to the present time with his part as Maester Aemon in HBO’s Game of Thrones.

Other key roles came in the classic BBC ghost story A Warning to the Curious (1972), in the sitcom Citizen Smith (1977-80), alongside Meryl Streep and Jeremy Irons in The French Lieutenant’s Woman (1980), and as the father of Anthony Hopkins’ butler character in Merchant-Ivory’s The Remains of the Day (1993).
this is sad to hear. i mean, only given how good he still is in his current role. 93 is nothing to sneeze at.

here's my main problem with this show - how the hell does anyone know what's happening everywhere else? i know, "ravens". but who would be sending them updates on what they are doing? completely improbable if not impossible. but of course it has to move the plot along. i mean, unless cersei knew everything, she'd just be hanging out on the throne. i get it. still pretty ridiculous.

so i know we're kind of not talking about this as it's all TP right now, but lots of great stuff happening. they pushed the pedal to the floor for the last episode or two - shit that would have taken a whole season now takes minutes. not sure if that's good or bad for storytelling, but it is certainly advancing things quickly. but my one major complaint about the last episode is this, and this a zillion times. what the fuck??
[attachment=0]20507479_1889315564668233_7485542394387569448_o.jpg[/attachment]
then he says "i'm just going to stay here for a while". yeah, no shit - because no one is around to carry you back down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

They've done a poor job making Bran a character we should give a shit about.

As far as whether the faster storytelling pace is for good or bad, I vote the latter. Everything's unfolding at such a frenzied clip that any big dramatic moment has zero impact. Because then they're just off and running toward the next plot point. It's basically paced like any other mediocre HBO drama (e.g., Big Love).

I'm sure it's because my brain's been warped by TP of late, but these three episodes of GOT have done next to little for me.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

yeah. pacing-wise, it's the polar opposite of TP. i will bet my wallet that it will be more impactful on repeat binge viewing where you at least have a chance to keep up. i'm hoping they are just flooring it to get to a point then they will tell some more story before the next sprint.

All right, that was more like it. Took 'em a while to hit their stride, but if all the remaining episodes are this strong, I'll cease bitching.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

TC wrote:yeah. pacing-wise, it's the polar opposite of TP. i will bet my wallet that it will be more impactful on repeat binge viewing where you at least have a chance to keep up. i'm hoping they are just flooring it to get to a point then they will tell some more story before the next sprint.
This is endgame, it's all gonna be a sprint.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

It all lacks some grace I suspect RR's involvement would have brought to it, but it's hella fan service.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

So this coming weekend's installment leaked already. HBO says it was "accidentally posted for a brief time on the HBO Nordic and HBO España."

Spoilers are out there aplenty. From what I've read, I expect nothing less than a full-on internet meltdown Sunday night.

Holy shit that leaked ep was intense. Also, if a bunch of HBO shows get cancelled this year, it's because the network can't afford them after GoT blew all it's money on the effects budget of Sunday's episode.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Good, last week's episode had some good character interactions but I missed my "final ten minutes of carnage" sequence.