Re: the Star Wars mega-thread

Tarkin I could somewhat excuse as he is tied pretty directly to the death star story. But Leia was just pure fan wank. Except she looked so horrible my first thought wasn't "Cool, Princess Leia" but rather "Argh, kill it, kill the undead monster now and put it out of it's misery!" And yeah, at least the prequels tried to do something new, even if they failed at it. I hope Disney has gotten it out of their system now and is willing to take some chances with the franchise from here on out. We've rehashed A New Hope twice now, time to move on. Oh yeah, and even my friend's five year old kid who loves Star Wars said Rogue One was boring.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

yes, i agree with both, but it's not that i think tarkin shouldn't have been in the film, it's that i didn't need him to be a cartoon. both characters felt like "hey, look how awesome we are at drawing stuff" jerk off party and took me right out of the film. there is quite literally NO REASON not to have made people up to do this practically. if you felt you needed to replace the voices, fine. i'd wager it cost them exponentially more money to try to insert these abominations digitally than it would have just using makeup and practical effects, too. so again, quite literally no reason for them to have done this. especially after they screened their "final" result. i'm baffled how it was left in. they both look fine until they start talking, then they look like video game cut scenes. didn't they learn from GL not to fuck with these films by inserting digital characters like that? not a good start to the spin-off films.

O-dot wrote:It's like, "You enjoyed Force Awakens? Well, good, here's more."
It does look like they're at least not rehashing the past quite so much in this one story-wise. Luke training Rey might be a bit Yodaish, but for the most part it looks like they're hopfully moving on to tell a new story. Finally.

Alexhead wrote:Funny, I figure this for the new kids' iteration of Empire. Guess we'll see.
I'll throw something at the screen if they just copy one of the original films again. I tolerated Force Awakens because the franchise needed to be reclaimed from the prequels. Rogue One pushed my limits though. If they do the same nostalgia shit again I'll be pissed.

The difference is they've sacrificed character and story for nostalgia. Sure, the series has always followed the hero's journey archetype. But look at the characters in the OT and the characters in Rogue One. Can you even describe them without using physical traits? They're all bland one dimensional characters who are interchangeable. If you're going to rehash the plot, you have to give us something to work with.

Alexhead wrote:Character work wasn't a strength of R1, true. But I liked the character work just fine in TFA.
TFA could rely on having only two characters that needed to be interesting (Rey, Kylo Ren) and having established, good characters back in the fold (Han Solo, Leia). When it came to creating a group of new characters from scratch in R1, they failed miserably.

Story is my issue with TFA, story and characters with R1. The point being, they are going in the wrong direction, and i'm less willing to give them a pass for hitting the repeat button now. Hopefully they've got it out of their system now and we'll be on the right track with TLJ.

klimov wrote:Yep, character work in TFA was pretty good, non-existent in Rogue One. Glad you're all starting to see the light on this ;)
Oh all of the characters are there, but it clearly had so many hands in the script and rewrites that many of them make the audience work a hair more than they probably should. One really good polish and it would have sparkled, still it works as is for what it is.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Shallow writing is hardly the fault of the audience. And Mike forgot to mention that it's very badly shot too, of course. Oh and the casting is much weaker than TFA, although not as weak as the geeky Glee-type guy they've cast as young Han Solo, that one may prove to be the very bottom of the barrel.