Re: Wonder Woman

pretty ridiculously over the top. walter noble, sweet! should be fun. i hope they don't fuck this one up.

also, if they original theme song isn't included somewhere, that's a huge miss.

WW is their Cap. If they do it right, it'll kill for many movies to come.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I'm cautiously optimistic. Trailer looks good, but DC has let me down so many times now on the movie side I can't help but go in with low expectations. It's based on a story by Snyder after all.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic. Trailer looks good, but DC has let me down so many times now on the movie side I can't help but go in with low expectations. It's based on a story by Snyder after all.
and let's be fair - they don't let her talk much in that trailer. could be for good reason. we don't really know yet if gal can act.

TC wrote: we don't really know yet if gal can act.
She was in a couple of Fast and Furious films...er...so yeah, I guess your statement still stands.

I suspect she'll do fine--there's only so much these kinds of films ask for from their actors.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

i hope DC doesn't fuck this up. that looks good. i'm stoked to see it. but DC needs a hit or i fear we may lose a huge roster of potential comic-based films. DC does have some good characters, even if they seem to keep revisiting the same 2.

They would benefit greatly from a better critical response, but make no mistake, they're making plenty of money off these. BvS made Age of Ultron level money worldwide, and Suicide Squad, inexplicably, is one of the most successful box office comic adaptations of all time.

Alexhead wrote:They would benefit greatly from a better critical response, but make no mistake, they're making plenty of money off these. BvS made Age of Ultron level money worldwide, and Suicide Squad, inexplicably, is one of the most successful box office comic adaptations of all time.
Ultron worldwide boxoffice: $1,405,403,694
BvS worldwide boxoffice: $873,260,194
Suicide Squad worldwide boxoffice: $745,600,054

Ultron and Bvs both had the same budget. Suicide Squad had a budget that was about $75million less, which is why it's considered a success whereas BvS isn't, despite having similar grosses. Also the fact that BvS threw all three of the DC heavy hitters into the mix and still managed to make less money than the last two Batman solo films (not even adjusted for inflation) and didn't make that much more than Man of Steel.

As for Wonder Woman, I'm not holding out hope. DC has hurt me too many times.

Interesting, I saw some different numbers, thought BvS eventually passed the billion mark at least. Clearly hurt by poor word of mouth, although SS wasn't. Weird.

Alexhead wrote:Interesting, I saw some different numbers, thought BvS eventually passed the billion mark at least. Clearly hurt by poor word of mouth, although SS wasn't. Weird.
Domestically speaking (America First!) BvS and SS made essentially the same money, but the latter on a smaller budget as I mentioned above.
BvS domestic box office: $330,360,194
Suicide Squad domestic box office: $325,100,054

Yes, actually saw it twice thanks to family in town. Gal Gadot owns the role. There are some fun moments and a very satisfying action sequence halfway through. It begs, borrows and steals so much from the first Captain America movie that you'll throw up in your mouth a little, and really it is busy checking comic book superhero origin story boxes most of the time. Apparently there is a true, dedicated focus to finales in the DC movies all being at night, with patches of fire and smoke. No idea why they would hamstring movies with those specific instructions, but I've read they're a thing, and the Justice League trailers bear that out. Anyway, fun enough for what it is, DC still feels like it's playing catch up though.

saw this yesterday, enjoyed it. spoilers below, if you care, so stop reading now if that's your thing.

she's definitely the best hero DC has in their stable now. at least, seems she's taken on the mantle of being the one "true north" superhero from superman. but, this being today's DC movies, every complaint people had about zach's superman can be leveled here too. another thing that must be part of the DC rider is that every hero must be a murderbot. what wonder woman says: "Innocent people are dying, I must save these people that I've never met and care about because they are people (that I didn't know existed until yesterday)." what wonder woman does: mow down every single person that gets in her way while she's en route to save people. i guess because they are german, which again she didn't know what a thing until recently? i'm being overly critical here - since she knows so many languages, i can assume there is some vast library on the island that she has studied from and is aware there is an outside world, but i still feel the point is valid. she has to kill at least hundreds of people in this movie. and for a film being touted as a "female empowerment" picture, complete with female-only showings, diana is still very much in need of a man. they felt the need to have her & chris pine sleep together (after she specifically states that women don't need men to know physical pleasure), then later, she doesn't go full god mode until she "realizes" what love is due to her feelings for him? these seem like odd choices, until you see zach's name on the story credit. then it makes perfect sense.

i feel shitty even saying that, given how badly i feel for him about his daughter, but this outlook on women and heroes in general is very tedious. just exhausting. and seeing the justice league trailer doesn't make me very hopeful for that, either. sympathy isn't a good reason to continue to hand the reigns to someone. but i guess they are so far down that path, they're stuck in the gambler's fallacy.

I thought the men were handled better than you give the film credit for, myself. She does find love and learn a lot from Steve Trevor, but he also wisely takes a back seat to her throughout the film and has a true supporting role, if that makes sense. He's there to support her, and does so without sacrificing his manhood and whatnot. The three sidekicks each have a nice small but important role in helping her see that war and conflict is complicated. If anything, the film does a great job of evolving her from a very simplistic idea of good v evil into the complicated reality of the struggle, but she realizes that good remains the side worth fighting for, because of love. Having now seen it three times, I think it has some pretty solid through lines.