Re: Blade Runner prequel/sequel

My main concern is the fact that Deckard seems to have aged significantly (obviously), which means they won't (?) make him a replicant. Both Ford and Scott have pretty much confirmed the intent was that Deckard was in fact a replicant in the first film. A non-replicant Deckard is much less interesting from a story perspective.

_Marcus_ wrote:My main concern is the fact that Deckard seems to have aged significantly (obviously), which means they won't (?) make him a replicant. Both Ford and Scott have pretty much confirmed the intent was that Deckard was in fact a replicant in the first film. A non-replicant Deckard is much less interesting from a story perspective.
he's been getting regular 3k mile age tune-ups.

I found it underwhelming. They're sure selling it as a nonstop action movie, which is not really what I associate with Blade Runner.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:I found it underwhelming. They're sure selling it as a nonstop action movie, which is not really what I associate with Blade Runner.
Pretty sure that's just for the trailer though. I ignored that part and was more interested in the art and sound design. That seems spot on so far.

_Marcus_ wrote:
O-dot wrote:I found it underwhelming. They're sure selling it as a nonstop action movie, which is not really what I associate with Blade Runner.
Pretty sure that's just for the trailer though. I ignored that part and was more interested in the art and sound design. That seems spot on so far.
this.

I actually quite like the look of this. Arrival wasn't bad. Having Fancher, Ford and Deakins on board is promising. On the down side, the best thing about the trailer is the return of Vangelis yet the talentless Johann Johannsson is scoring the actual film.

The Alamo Drafthouse is showing the new 4K restoration of the original on August 31st. I got my tickets last night! Hopefully my wife can actually stay awake for the whole movie this time. I think I've tried to get her to watch it twice and she fell asleep both times.

Anyone else venture out to the theater this weekend? I enjoyed it very much, I'm happy to report. They very much built on the ideas and story threads of the original and took them to their logical conclusion. It was a great way to get totally immersed in a cinematic experience for nearly three hours. Would love to see it again.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

I'm hoping to see it this weekend. It was great seeing the new restoration of the original on the big screen, and my wife finally made it through the whole movie! Her initial impression was that the movie felt dated and she didn't like all the synth music, but she realized that she was still thinking about the movie a few days later and it really grew on her. It had been a while since I had seen it, and I really appreciated Rutger Hauer's performance even more this time.

It's strange reading the articles about how this movie isn't making as much money as the studio execs expected. They apparently totally misread the fanbase for the original. Just because it's a popular sci-fi movie from the 80s with Harrison Ford doesn't mean you have another potential Star Wars franchise on your hands. Blade Runner is a very different movie for a different demographic.