Stranger Things

plowed through this over a few days with the family. i'd say believe the hype - it's really good. captures some spielberg-esque feeling with eerie "dark forces"/woods/evil stuff. subtle shout outs to the thing, evil dead, etc. centers around four kids, which i usually find annoying, but for the most part these are really good actors. do watch it.

now...
i loved the sheriff until the end. i don't understand a couple things:
1) why the hell would he tell them where 11 was??
2) he gets in the "big black car"??
3) i assume by the very end we are supposed to infer that 11 is alive (and for some reason living in the woods and/or the upside-down. what the fuck? why would he just feed her and not, you know, tell the kids?? weird stuff. don't know if S2 is going to be a continuation or new story, but looking forward to it. very well done.
private joker is in this, and is unrecognizable these days. the main kid "mike" looks like shelly duvall in the shining.

Re: Stranger Things

Everyone in my Facebook feed has been freaking out over this show. I watched the trailer and found it underwhelming.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Everyone in my Facebook feed has been freaking out over this show. I watched the trailer and found it underwhelming.
very difficult to capture what this show is in a trailer. you should watch.

It's really fun. Does what Super 8 tries to do much, much better than JJ pulled off. We're about halfway through, watching it with the older kids, they love it too. It's funny to see them semi-obsessed with 80s nostalgia, apparently the hipness of our childhood decade is a legit thing these days.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

TC wrote:
i loved the sheriff until the end. i don't understand a couple things:
1) why the hell would he tell them where 11 was??
2) he gets in the "big black car"??
3) i assume by the very end we are supposed to infer that 11 is alive (and for some reason living in the woods and/or the upside-down. what the fuck? why would he just feed her and not, you know, tell the kids?? weird stuff. don't know if S2 is going to be a continuation or new story, but looking forward to it. very well done.
1) Even though I never fully bought that part either, I'm guessing he tried to make the best possible trade-off. That, or he knew that she would kick their asses when they found her.
2) A part of season 2, surely. I think he the deal he made with Private Joker included more than we got to see and that it will be revealed in season 2. Thought that was a nice set-up.
3) He did agree to never speak of what happened to anyone, and not telling the kids was probably a part of it. Then again, as in 1 and 2, this sets up the next season nicely...

well, S2 started slow - very slow - for several episodes but ended strong. not as good as S1 by a long shot but entertaining.

it's a good thing nancy apparently carries around PJs at all times.

i will say the soundtrack this season was even better.

For all the love it's getting online this weekend I too found it starting off fine but kind of meh too. Still, enough to hold my interest for 9 episodes. Just started the fifth last night.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

We have one episode left and I kinda don't understand the feeling of disappointment many have apparently felt with this season. Like TC says, the music is better than last time (they chose the one good Bon Jovi song, for instance), the characters are stronger and they actually make some decisions and develop the characters in ways that you don't see coming a mile away. Still a very "cozy" show to watch, the same cozy feeling you got from those 80's classics like The Goonies and so forth.