Re: new Trek film - meet your new Kirk & Bones

What made them think that overpowering any dialogue in the trailer with the damn Beastie Boys song the whole way through was a good idea? Unless the knew the movie was such shit that that was the only way to make improvements, to cover it up?
Are you propositioning me? I taste like candy and you want the recipe?

Nice poster. Honestly I can't tell from either trailer if this could be great, a piece of shit, or anywhere in between. So far my nod would be positive, looks entertaining, but we'll see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

I see we're continuing the recycling trend...
Star_Trek_la_pel_cula-632582605-large.jpg
The trailer is a mixed bag. But the film is directed by Justin Lin. I like the Fast and Furious films as a silly fun guilty pleasure. But that's not Star Trek or what it should be, so I don't hold out much hope. Star Trek is not supposed to be just mindless fun. It always addressed bigger issues, even when they were being silly or throwing in a bit of action. And they're blowing up the Enterprise again. It was moving the first time they did it in Search For Spock, when Kirk lost his ship and his son as sacrifice for saving Spock. It showed what Kirk was giving up to save his best friend. Now I feel like it's a crutch of a lazy writer. "Okay, we've run out of story ideas, now what? Hell, let's just blow up the ship again. That will give the cgi guys an excuse for some cool explosions we can put in the trailer."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

TC wrote:i'm not watching it. i've decided i'm really going to try to not watch trailers for films i know i'm going to go see. they don't have to sell me, i'm going to see it, so i'd like to be as surprised as possible.
You're wiser and have more self control than the rest of us. I salute you sir.

Yeah I can't avoid them anymore myself but this one still doesn't tell you much about what's going on. I have no idea how Pegg's role as co-writer plays out as a return to Star Trek form or just a sci-fi action chase scene delivery device. Never seen a second of a Fast and Furious film, myself.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

while riri can sing her ass off, and i like the recent trend back to when movies had a pop "theme song", star trek is not one of those franchises that used those. as has been all too common lately, shitty music choices can ruin movies, or at least trailers. but, i seem to recall thinking hearing beastie boys in the first film's trailer made me cringe and expect terribleness, yet it was only in the film a very small part and was good. so, maybe don't panic yet.

Rihanna can sing but her songs have gotten pretty awful lately. That incoherent warbling she does on Work for example. But I doubt this song is even in the film, or if it is it's during the closing credits. My point isn't so much the song in the film as the mindset of who Star Trek is being made for now. It's no longer for the exploration of interesting concepts requiring thought and discussion. It's now being made for the pop music loving lowest common denominator masses.

darkness wrote:Rihanna can sing but her songs have gotten pretty awful lately. That incoherent warbling she does on Work for example. But I doubt this song is even in the film, or if it is it's during the closing credits. My point isn't so much the song in the film as the mindset of who Star Trek is being made for now. It's no longer for the exploration of interesting concepts requiring thought and discussion. It's now being made for the pop music loving lowest common denominator masses.
that's been my suspicion, but i hope to be proven wrong. or at least, maybe the current film franchise is trending that way but the new TV show stays true? shrug.

I'm amazed to say this, but Beyond isn't a completely awful film. It's certainly not as good as the classic Trek films (5 aside), but better than most of the Next Gen films. Maybe on par with First Contact.There is actually a theme to it, though it's kind of drowned out by the action. The original series would have developed the theme a bit more, but at least they tired. There are a lot of plot conveniences. But I kind of dug it. It actually wasn't quite as much mindless action as the trailer made it look. Also, I never thought I'd hear Public Enemy in a Star Trek film.

RIP new Kirk and Bones. The alternate Trek timeline has officially been shelved. They were already having problems finding funding for the next film, largely due to the failure of Beyond drying up Chinese money. Then Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth walked. Now that it looks like Viacom and CBS are going to re-merge, the split of which being the reason we had the alternate timeline in the first place, it seems they've declared it dead.

klimov wrote:Would be nice to see the Tarantino one, but he's probably too divisive a figure in the current climate.
He's got a film coming out later this year from Sony with some big name A-listers, so I don't think that's really an issue. But I doubt Paramount can afford him these days. They're doing better than they were a year ago, but they're still having some pretty bad financial issues.