Re: Better Call Saul!

It's pretty great, and much like Breaking Bad you never know exactly where they're going, but once they get there you slap your forehead and say "of course."
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

holy shit did this season fucking rule. what a cliffhanger ending! have to assume that means that next season is probably the last, eh? not sure, but goddamn. if you bailed on this show for whatever reason, get back into it. it will pay off.

_Marcus_ wrote:Haven watched the last couple of episodes but it's getting better with each season, just like Breaking Bad. And Rhea Seehorn is AMAZING in every scene she's in.
yeah. it's starting to get really heartbreaking because you know she wasn't in BB. i've read a theory that
she's on the plane that crashes in BB and that's how she goes. i thought for sure lalo was going to ice her two episodes ago, holy shit. she's amazing.
guess we'll see. but that ending, holy shit...

TC wrote:i am absolutely baffled Rhea Seehorn didn't get an emmy nod. a travesty.
Could not agree more. She's been killing it from the first episode, but this last season she absolutely dominated the screen in every scene. A travesty.

well that was a dark ending to the first half. jesus. pulling no punches.

that being said,
the whole howard sub-plot was fucking weird to begin with. if you take that out, there were what, maybe 3 episodes of material here? so i took it as a "alright, we're executing the side stories - full speed ahead."
the back half should be nuts.

well, as could have been predicted,
howard's execution plays heavily into the flash-forwards of the back half. it was in fact important.

one episode to go, and this season has been really remarkable. the way they're handling the flash-forwards is deftly done and extremely enjoyable. really, everything about this show is. in the end, it may actually be a better show than breaking bad.

fantastic ending. not at all what i thought would happen, but damn did they nail it. couldn't have ended any other way. what a show. i think it really is a better show than breaking bad. i can't think of a "spin-off" show that surpassed the main show in such a powerful way. really plays into the "hire smart people and get out of their way" philosophy.

Saul is a survivor - there's a reason he's the only one who escaped to a new life at the end of BB. Not in a million years would he throw away that deal. Who would? It's a cornball Hollywood ending to ensure that Jimmy is both redeemed and punished for his misdeeds. Cheese rating 90/100.

This is years after the divorce, he doesn't even mention her throughout the duration of BB and she just sold him down the river with the Howard confession. But okay... let's say we buy the idea that Jimmy still loves Kim that much. That means he's going to turn 7 years into 86 years for the sake of a gesture? A meaningless one, since now he's never getting out... Loving Kim means he would take the deal, get out in 3-4 and try to convince her that he's changed.

Nah, it feels like someone at the network thought the Hays Code was still active and told them Jimmy had to be a/ redeemed and b/ suitably punished for his crimes. Oh and that the ending had to be unpredictable. Voila, one implausible Hollywood concoction that spoils the series rather. Oh well.

that's one perspective. it's not wrong, except for the idea that it spoils the series. there is precedence of jimmy falling on the sword for other people throughout the series. would he do it when it means spending the rest of his life in prison? i don't know. his reflection of how him getting back into "the game" seemed to ruin a lot of lives says to me it's entirely possible that he has come to terms with the idea that he deserves such a penance. there were plenty of indications that's where it was going, even if you eliminate kim entirely from his mental equation.