Re: Better Call Saul!

_Marcus_ wrote:I think Saul is a really solid show so far. It keeps up with the dark humor of BB but has it's own voice. Me and the girlfriend are both loving it so far.
Agreed.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Great episode last night. And they didn't even have to pull out the old "boost ratings by throwing some pirates into the narrative" trick!
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

finally caught up/finished this season. wow what a great show. very different than what i thought it was going to be, but exactly what a "spinoff" show should be. of course it was done by gilligan. applause all around. the one thing that was odd to me though
was that they never "circled back around" to those opening scenes of the first episode like breaking bad used to do. i thought for sure that meant that by the end of the first season, he'd have "become" saul goodman. that seemed weird. so really, those scenes are nothing at this point. we have no idea how far in the future those take place.

Considering they are in the future from Breaking Bad, I would imagine if they ever circle back to them it will be in the last episode of the series. No point to go back to them right now.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

TC wrote:
darkness wrote:Considering they are in the future from Breaking Bad
how do you know this?
You're talking about the scene where he's living in Omaha managing the Cinnabon as Gene, right? I thought it was pretty evident that that was his life in hiding post Breaking Bad, especially given the old ads from his legal days he was watching and the fact he looked a lot older.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

darkness wrote:You're talking about the scene where he's living in Omaha managing the Cinnabon as Gene, right? I thought it was pretty evident that that was his life in hiding post Breaking Bad, especially given the old ads from his legal days he was watching and the fact he looked a lot older.
yes those ads, but it wasn't obvious to me this was post-BB at all. interesting.

Yeah, they totally start the show with a nice reference to his closing comments about running a Cinnabon in Omaha. Which also indicates we could well see some things in the future of the series that are happening during the BB timeframe, which is cool to think about.

TC wrote:
darkness wrote:You're talking about the scene where he's living in Omaha managing the Cinnabon as Gene, right? I thought it was pretty evident that that was his life in hiding post Breaking Bad, especially given the old ads from his legal days he was watching and the fact he looked a lot older.
yes those ads, but it wasn't obvious to me this was post-BB at all. interesting.
Really? I thought that was super-duper obvious. Huh, guess it shows how different people can interpret something completely differently.

_Marcus_ wrote:Really? I thought that was super-duper obvious. Huh, guess it shows how different people can interpret something completely differently.
the cinnabon, yes, but sitting in that room watching the ads, no.

/film wrote:‘Better Call Saul’ Sets Season 2 Premiere Date; See New Photos

Jimmy McGill’s hilarious, heartbreaking transformation into Saul Goodman will resume this winter. AMC has set a date for the second season opening of Better Call Saul, and revealed a couple new images from the season to go along with it. Get all the Better Call Saul Season 2 premiere date details, and soak in the two brand-new photos, after the jump.

As reported by TVLine, AMC has announced that Better Call Saul will return for Season 2 on Monday, February 15, 2016 at 10/9c. Bob Odenkirk will return as Jimmy McGill, of course, and Jonathan Banks will return as Mike Ehrmentraut. We may or may not see other Breaking Bad favorites return in Better Call Saul Season 2, but according to series co-creator Vince Gilligan, Bryan Cranston‘s Walter White won’t be one of them.

Showrunner Peter Gould teased in a statement:
Jimmy McGill’s journey takes surprising, left-handed turns in Season 2 He goes to places we’d never, ever expected. As for Mike Ehrmantraut (played by Emmy nominee Jonathan Banks), he’s pulled deeper into a world he was sure he’d left forever. We can’t wait to share the next chapter of Better Call Saul with the fans who have embraced the show.
We haven’t heard much in the way of concrete detail about Better Call Saul Season 2. But with shooting already underway in Albuquerque and now a premiere date locked in, it shouldn’t be long before more info starts leaking out. In the meantime, check out two intriguing new images below. That’s clearly Saul’s friend Kim (Rhea Seehorn) gazing at him with disapproval in the first photo, so it seems we can expect her to return as well.

Better Call Saul‘s freshman season garnered high (albeit not Walking Dead-level) ratings and higher acclaim. It was nominated for seven Emmy Awards including Outstanding Drama, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama, and Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama. Though a Breaking Bad spinoff, Better Call Saul quickly became its own thing, finding a tone and storyline that felt compatible with the earlier series without simply mimicking it.

On a lesser show, the fact that we essentially know how Jimmy’s attempts to go straight work out — they don’t — might rob the show of its tension, but Better Call Saul mines it for tragedy. Walter White’s descent into evil was sickening, in all the right ways; Jimmy’s slow path to losing his soul is all the more tragic because we get to see that he tried so hard not to.

i've been slacking, two episodes into S2 and this show is absolutely killing it. the experience of the team on BB has bled over into this show in all the best ways. they have the patience to let a shot breathe. the know when to stay on something and let the tension build organically. just a very skillful show.