Re: Listening to lately

Has anyone bothered to check out the new Marilyn Manson album? It's getting a ton of press, with folks calling it his best since his Reznor-produced heyday. I can't deny I'm intrigued, if for no other reason than the fact that when I saw him live a couple years ago he came across as bloated, fucked-up and basically spent as a musical artist.

Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals had their moments. I admit I lost interest after those records.
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:Has anyone bothered to check out the new Marilyn Manson album?
I suppose the goth in me says I should check this album out, even though he was kind of more mass market hot topic goth and you don't hear him played anymore.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

artist says new record sounds more like their best record? wow, what a unique marketing tactic. only thing of mention he did was AS, 90% of which trent was responsible for. but yes, i will check it out for free on the off-chance he somehow found a stitch of talent.

TC wrote:artist says new record sounds more like their best record? wow, what a unique marketing tactic.
I believe that's the marketing tactic for every Metallica album that's come out for the last 15 years.
Just cut them up like regular chickens

Ghost Bath - Moonlover

Album of the year so far, even though there hasn't been much of a competition to be honest. An amazing album. Post-black metal'ish, in the same vein as some Deafheaven but at the same time completely original.

Check out the song Golden Number:
[youtube][/youtube]

Fine, I'll continue to be the only one who posts in this thread, GODDAMMIT!

Abbath - Abbath
Great stuff. Groovy as fuck and with some amazing riffing all over the place.

Fleshgod Apocalypse - King
Perhaps even better than Agony. Solid stuff.

_Marcus_ wrote:Fine, I'll continue to be the only one who posts in this thread, GODDAMMIT!
Sorry, my music consumption kinda fell off a cliff 6 months ago. Maybe someday I'll have something to contribute. ;)

How does the Abbath compare to the "I" album from 10 years ago?
This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

O-dot wrote:
_Marcus_ wrote:Fine, I'll continue to be the only one who posts in this thread, GODDAMMIT!
Sorry, my music consumption kinda fell off a cliff 6 months ago. Maybe someday I'll have something to contribute. ;)

How does the Abbath compare to the "I" album from 10 years ago?
I'll be waiting ;)

I never got into "I" that much, but "Abbath" sure sounds like Immortal with better production all around and just a tighter, groovier songwriting.

abbath is latter-day immortal. if you like the last couple immortal, you'll like it. he adds some judas priest-i-ness to it, appropriately covering a judas priest song as well.

i liked "I" fine. it wasn't just immortal, it was a wee bit different. this is (latter-day) immortal.

Diiv--Is the Is Are One of my new favorite bands, spiky shoegaze guitars and some strong melodies hiding in the storm.

Savages--Adore Life Very good second album from this postpunk band, the single is quite haunting.
"I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. . . . I'm not a schemer. I just do things."

Megadeth — "Dystopia." The most unexpectedly solid Mustaine outing in years, maybe since the Friedman era. If you're already predisposed to hate Megadeth because of Mustaine's limited vocal range, his inane reactionary lyrics, or the overall cock-rock sensibilities of his songwriting, well, then this won't be the album to win you over. Here we find Mustaine working quite comfortably in his wheelhouse, refreshingly not trying to "sing" as much as in recent records and tossing out infectious, early-'90s-style riffs by the bushel. If you grew up on the Megadeth of "Angry Again" and "Sweating Bullets," this one's for you.

To my layman's ears, Adler adapted his playing to the style of the band. Nothing sounds like Lamb of God rhythm-wise.